Windows 10: Office 2016 Strange Issue

Discus and support Office 2016 Strange Issue in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; That's the best title I could come up with. I have a user with a new Surface Book. Clean install of Windows 10, his necessary software, including... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by DeaconFrost, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Office 2016 Strange Issue

That's the best title I could come up with. I have a user with a new Surface Book. Clean install of Windows 10, his necessary software, including Office Pro 2016 x64. This is the disc install version, not Office 365.

He's getting an error saving Word documents from within Outlook. After some troubleshooting, I realized Outlook and Word are showing as 32 bit, yet Excel is 64 bit (and works fine when saving files).

I've never encountered this, and thought it was impossible. I removed Office 2016, ran the Microsoft Fix It Uninstaller, rebooted, and then loaded what I know to me Office 2016 x64. Same damn thing happened.

Has anyone come across this, where certain apps are 32 bit and some are 64? I'm currently looking for a better, more thorough uninstall of Office.

:)

DeaconFrost, Mar 6, 2018
  2. Joerg147 Win User

Wrong, "graffiti" font in apps and Web pages after upgrade to Windows 10

A week ago I've upgraded from Office 2013 to Office 2016. The whole week the computer and edge was working fine, but today I've experienced this issue: edge showed strange fonts in some websites.

Deleting the Arial narrow fonts did the trick: Problem solved. These fonts were installed together with Office 2016.

But it is a shame that this issue still happens after this thread already started in August 2015.

Joerg147, Mar 6, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Enterprise x64 - Fresh Office 2016 Pro install missing shortcuts

Fixed this by running Office 2016 repair and rebooting.

Strange behaviour for fresh install....

Hatari5200, Mar 6, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Office 2016 Strange Issue

I had some weird Office behaviour from mid January on, lasting a few weeks (read more here). Finally resolving the issue required manual removal of all Office stuff, FixIt solution did not work for me.

Complete instructions for manual removal of Office can be found on same page where you download FixIt, see Option Three: Uninstall Office from a PC - Office Support

Kari, Mar 6, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    Office 2010 was the first to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit. I've had no trouble opening files created in either edition but have seen issues where the 32-bit and 64-bit installations caused problems. I didn't check the 32-bit version but had FrontPage 2003 on a computer and couldn't install the 64-bit version of Office 2010 until I uninstalled FP 2003.

Berton, Mar 6, 2018
  6. One thing I've noticed is if I run the setup.exe, that is in the root of my mounted MSDN ISO, I get the 32 bit office 2016 Pro. To get 64 bit I have to go into the office folder of the ISO and run setup64.exe. To be honest though I only noticed that Outlook was 32 bit, I'm not sure if any 64 bit office apps were installed? Its been my habit to just run setup64.exe. Until recently anyway. I had an issue with Outlook 64 bit where links opened in e-mails took forever to open / launch. No such issue with Outlook 32 bit.

alphanumeric, Mar 7, 2018
  7. Steve C Win User
    You could try a repair install of MS Office.

Steve C, Mar 8, 2018
  8. Office 2016 Strange Issue

Did the repair as the initial step. I also uninstalled Office, ran the Fix-It clean-up tool, rebooted, and then installed again using a known x64 .iso. Same issues.

DeaconFrost, Mar 8, 2018
  9. Kari Win User
    Have you tried installing 32 bit Office instead? Do you really have a reason to use 64 bit Office? I mean, "I want a 64 bit Office" is not a good enough reason. Basically, in most cases 64 bit Office is not necessary.

This quote from https://support.office.com/en-us/art...-6c6f49b8d261:

Personally I have never seen a reason to use 64 bit Office. I am quite an experienced Office user, always installing the 32 bit version, regardless of my PC / Windows architecture.

I am not saying installing 32 bit Office will resolve your issues. I am just saying, trying it might solve the issues.

Kari, Mar 8, 2018
  10. So, I finally figured this out. I'm still baffled, but here goes. I got some time with the laptop, so I did a full install of Office 2016. Then I used the Fix it clean up tool,, followed by a run with CCleaner on the registry. Rebooted, then followed a guide on a manual uninstall. No directories or registry entries existed. I rebooted again and performed a clean install of what I know to be x64. After the install was complete, we noticed duplicate Start Menu icons for each Office app.

One on top opened the newly installed x64 version. The one on the bottom opened an older x86 version that I could not find on the drive moments before. If I right-clicked on the x86 shortcut and chose Uninstall, it would remove the icon within 5 seconds.

I'm kicking myself for not checking the paths of the "bad" icons. However, when I viewed the Start menu shortcuts directory in Explorer, it only showed one icon for each app. So very strange. Long story short, it's working properly as an all x64 Office version now. No issues whatsoever. I'm baffled by this, because I did the manual uninstall and found nothing of Office left behind.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Office 2016 Strange Issue

1. Office 2016 Strange Issue - Similar Threads - Office 2016 Strange

2. Office 2016

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Office 2016: I have Office 2016 and want to dictate to text in word, But am unable to turn it on through the File/options/general pathway, however there is no Office intelligent services listed under General for me to turn it on. So does my Office 2016 bundle include the necessary word...
  3. Office 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 2016: I have Office 2016 and want to dictate to text in word, But am unable to turn it on through the File/options/general pathway, however there is no Office intelligent services listed under General for me to turn it on. So does my Office 2016 bundle include the necessary word...
  4. Office 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Office 2016

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Office 2016: I HAD OFFICE 2016 DOWNLOADED, INSTALLED, AND ACTIVAED IN MY MS ACCOUNT. IT WAS INSTALLED AND WORKING ON A COMPUTER FOR A YEAR UNTIL I "CLEANED" THE COMPUTER AND UNINSTALLED IT. I RECENTLY DOWNLOADED AND REINSTALLEDIT ON THE SAME COMPUTER USED BEFORE. I COULD NOT ACTIVATE IT....
  6. Strange automatic Office 2016/365 Bug On Windows Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange automatic Office 2016/365 Bug On Windows Login: Hi, I have been using Office 2016 Pro Plus at home during lockdown. I received it through my university's IT portal and activated by logging in to their VPN (they had instructions for this - this is all legit). Everything worked seamlessly for over a year, but now I'm getting...
  7. OFFICE 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OFFICE 2016: RESPECTED SIR/ MA'AM I WANT TO ASK A QUESTION THAT IS MICROSOFT OFFICE 2016 STILL AVAILABLE TO BE DOWNLOADED FOR FREE. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-2016/93c5c231-94de-44e9-a78b-35e78eed65ae
  8. Office 2016

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Office 2016: I had pruchased from Office Depot a license for Office 2016. My computer crashed and I had to reinstall and can't find my license number. Is there any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-2016/6dfb2c1e-e29d-49c8-95a4-d58bc2809253"
  9. Office 2013 issues, upgraded to Office 2016...

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2013 issues, upgraded to Office 2016...: Since upgrading my main desktop to Windows 10, I began having trouble with my Office 2013 installation. I would get the "swirling circle" and the "application has stopped responding" error messages very frequently. I was able to buy the Office 2016 suite for $10 through my...
  10. Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016: Can you run office 2016 32 bit on a windows 10 64 bit machine like in windows 7? Is office 2016 a stand alone like office 2013? Thanks Z 26758