Windows 10: Office 2016 uninstalled but won't get off my start menu

Discus and support Office 2016 uninstalled but won't get off my start menu in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I just got a new computer (actually a warranty replacement, but that's not important here) and have been installing all my apps fresh for a clean... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by aikiscott, May 27, 2017.

1. aikiscott Win User

Office 2016 uninstalled but won't get off my start menu

I just got a new computer (actually a warranty replacement, but that's not important here) and have been installing all my apps fresh for a clean baseline.I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2016 using the Add/Remove Programs feature.I then installed Office 2013 (which I own and have a proper activation key for).Silly me, I thought that should work.Now, my current state is that Office 2016 apps still show up in my start menu under their individual app names (Excel 2016 is under "E", for example). However, 2013 apps are all listed under Microsoft Office 2013 (under "M"). When I type "word" or "excel" or something in the Start Menu search, brings up both the 2013 and 2016 versions. However, the 2016 versions are not installed, I just can't get them to let go of my start menu.

For the record, if I right click on any of the 2016 files in the start menu and choose "uninstall", it opens the Add/Remove Programs window, but there is nothing there to remove -- I already did that.Any ideas on how to make this go away?

Thanks!

:)

aikiscott, May 27, 2017
  2. AsterL Win User

Deleted Apps showing using windows 10 search (with or without Cortana)

I had previously uninstalled Office 2016 to make way for Office 2013, as my trial for Office 2016 expired, however, whenever I search for Word in the start menu, Word 2016 will always pop up, while Word 2013 will not. The same goes for other
    Office products, such as Excel, OneNote and PowerPoint.

Is there a way to fix this?

AsterL, May 27, 2017
  3. GangM Win User
    Installed Office 2016 (home & Biz) then Windows 10 can't start normally, task manager can't start, search doesn't work, Windows Hotkey no response, all app disappear from Start menu

I am running Windows 10 on a Samsung notebook, all good until i install Office 2016 today.

Installed Office 2016 (home & Biz) then Windows 10 can't start normally, task manager can't start at all, search doesn't work, Windows Hotkey no response, all app / software disappear from Start menu. Start up takes exceptional longer time,

Have no other option but to uninstall the Office 2016, Windows still performs poorly, no improvement

wonder if anyone has the same problem and appreciate any advice

GangM, May 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

If it's just the shortcuts, presumably you could remove them from the relevant folder.

(A convenient trick is to install Classic Shell menu (free) which allows easy manipulation).

I'm going to bet that this has been reported before- have you tried searching the forum or elsewhere?

dalchina, May 27, 2017
  5. aikiscott Win User
    I did try searching, and couldn't find anything that looked like this. I ended up finding a solution. It's not too elegant, but it got the job done...

For each non-existent app, I clicked on it to try and run it from the start menu. Windows figured out it didn't exist anymore, and asked me if I would like it to remove the shortcut.

Why yes, yes I would. Repeat for every app, and they're all gone now. Except OneNote 2016, which Microsoft has decreed to be inextricably linked to Win 10. Whatever. I can ignore that one, I guess.

Thanks!

aikiscott, May 28, 2017
  6. flightless, May 31, 2017
  7. - so are you just running Office 2013 now, aikiscott..??

BugMeister, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Office 2016 uninstalled but won't get off my start menu - Similar Threads - Office 2016 uninstalled

2. Can't uninstall Office 2016 - Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't uninstall Office 2016 - Win10: Hi, I can't seem to uninstall Office 2016, when I try I get this error code Error code: 30068-44 (1084) I tried running the uninstall in safe mode and tried the official removal tool but so far no luck. I can't install the new version until this one is uninstalled. Any help...
  3. Uninstalling MS Office 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstalling MS Office 2016: While doing a manual uninstall of MS Office 2016, one of the steps talks about a folder "MSOCache" being in the root folder of my hard drive. I did not see such a folder on my hard drive. Should the folder be there if OFFICE were still installed/buried somewhere in the...
  4. uninstall an update for office 2016 professional

in Microsoft Office and 365
    uninstall an update for office 2016 professional: I am running MS Windows 10 Home edition (version 1803 build 17134.1006) on this computer and I have MS Office 2016 Professional installed as well. A few days ago Office did an update and since them my excel workbooks that I have put check boxes in started giving me all sorts...
  5. Office 2016 code won't work

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Office 2016 code won't work: I purchased Office 2016 in October 2017. It worked fine until I had to reset my laptop and most things were removed. Now my activation code isn't valid. Anyone know why?...
  6. Give Office 2016 Start Menu Tiles Colored Backgrounds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Give Office 2016 Start Menu Tiles Colored Backgrounds: After upgrading to Office 2016, I have noticed that the start menu tiles lost their colorful backgrounds and were reverted back to the accent color. Here is how to fix that so the tiles have colored backgrounds. This guide shows you go to go from this: Attachment 113103...
  7. Office 2016 - Uninstall Individual Programs?

Office 2016 - Uninstall Individual Programs?: I've just replaced Office 2010 with Office 2016. Office 2010 had an option to selectively install individual Office components but I can't find a way of doing this in Office 2016. Has anyone found a way of selectively configuring Office 2016 to remove some of the bloatware I...
  8. Get Office and My Office in Start Menu

Get Office and My Office in Start Menu: [img] Installing a clean 1709 I now have "Get Office" and "My Office" APP's listed in the Start Menu. Clicking on "Get Office" does nothing unless I uninstall "My Office", in wich case clicking on "Get Office" will reinstall "My Office". "Get Office" cannot be...
  9. Office 2016 Trial Version Will Not Uninstall Entirely

Office 2016 Trial Version Will Not Uninstall Entirely: Please open an elevated Command Prompt and run following command: If your installed Office is 32 bit: cd "\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16" -- OR -- If your installed Office is 64 bit: cd "\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16" Now run following...
  10. "Get Office" won't uninstall

"Get Office" won't uninstall: How do you uninstall Get Office? I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. I try to right click, uninstall, but that doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? 100247

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uninstalled app showing up in start menu word

2. i uninstalled office but its still showing in start menu

3. remove uninstalled programs from start menu

4. why wont microspft onenote get off my screenm,
  5. uninstall office powerpoint shortcut still on app list,
  6. i uninstalled office 2016 but the tiles wont go away,
  7. uninstalled office programs tiles still in start menu,
  8. uninstalled microsoft office and programs still on start menu windows 10,
  9. word application is uninstalled but still showing in start menu,
  10. Help uninstalled excel word and powerpoint still showing in start menu,
  11. excel app stays in start menu eventhough already has uninstalled it,