Windows 10: Office apps stop responding until Print Spooler is restarted

Discus and support Office apps stop responding until Print Spooler is restarted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have posted this in other forums in an attempt to get to a wide audience so I apologise if you have seen it before and cannot help. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lwp, Aug 7, 2016.

1. LWP
    lwp Win User

Office apps stop responding until Print Spooler is restarted

Hi,
    I have posted this in other forums in an attempt to get to a wide audience so I apologise if you have seen it before and cannot help.

I have stuck a strange print spooler problem that I would like to get some direction on. I have read the solutions presented but I'm not sure how relevant they are. I am also still gathering info but need some pointers on exactly what would be useful.

We have 5 computers in an office of various types with windows 7 (home premium) or windows 10, all exhibiting the same symptoms. Approximately 3 weeks ago the all suddenly started having problems with the print spooler. If the computers are restarted they will work for a while and then the office apps (word, excel, access and outlook) will stop responding. The will either not load (normally word) or will stop when selecting the print function. Other spooler-related issues such as viewing the print queues also do not load.

Stopping the pint spooler immediately fixes the issue, but after the spooler is restarted, the problem will eventually reoccur. Rebooting the computer also fixes the issue temporarily.

There are several different printer models and types in the environment including a couple of network-connected and also directly-connected USB printers.

I am told that there have been no new applications nor software loaded nor were any updates applied around the time that the problem first occurred, although Microsoft patches are applied automatically so they may not have noticed one.

The network in the office is very simple with an Internet (cable) router/switch/wireless access point. Two of the computers are on Ethernet with others being connected via wireless (standard WiFi). There is no file or print server in the environment and all computers print directly to the printers. The only reason for the network connectivity is for Internet access and printing to the network-connected printers.

The stranger part of this is that if the laptop computers are away from the environment, they normally work correctly and do not exhibit the problem. It is only in the office environment that this occurs. I am tempted to blame one of the printer drivers and so will continue my investigation around this for the moment. However, no new printers have been introduced into the office, and I am told no drivers have been updated or changed.

I have asked them to create a log of what is happening when the problem occurs, but haven't reviewed this yet.
    Does anybody have any other ideas on where to start on this one?

:)

2. JAMooore Win User

Windows 10 update KB3114410 not installing, stuck at 15%. KB3114750, KB3114756, KB2999508 not able to install because of the stuck KB3114410. Any solutions to fix this?

I, too had to stop the print spooler to get MS Office 2010 repair to finish.

After rebooting Win 10, the MS Office OneNote update got stuck again at 18%.

So, I stopped print spooler again, and the update process completed with no trouble! I restarted print spooler and all is well ...

For some reason, the repair/update processes are unable to start/stop the print spooler in Windows 10, so we have to do it manually. Thanks a lot to Jeanette for finding this work-around !

Microsoft - Please fix this ! Thanks.

JAMooore, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Printer stopped working( Windows 10 and today installed latest upgrade)

Same Problem here but the most current drivers are installed.

After a period of use the print drivers stop working. Access the printers results in the application not responding.

In my case restarting the print spooler has no effect. Compounding the problem all printers are network based.

OS and all hardware drivers are at the most current.

WIndows 10 performed flawlessly until about three weeks ago.

Printers work immediately after a restart then after a while stop again.

Microsoft any ideas?

Gary Holstein, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Oceloteg Win User

Hello, I had a same proplem.
    What did I do:
    1) Delete all printer drivers
    2) Delete all files in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers
    There was folder "color' which does not have NT permissions to modify and delete files. I changed folder owner, add permissions and delete it.
    3) Delete dependance of spool service in registry:
    [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler\DependOnService]
    There was two dependances, I left only RPCSS.
    Possible all of this does not reqired.

Oceloteg, Aug 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Office apps stop responding until Print Spooler is restarted - Similar Threads - Office apps stop

2. print spooler

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    print spooler: print spooler is curently running but when trying toinstall printer drivers it ssy spoller has stopped but it still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/88996641-a0cf-40e6-8ec2-79d12357dfc2
  3. print spooler keeps stopping - print drivers disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    print spooler keeps stopping - print drivers disappeared: The print spooler keeps stopping every few minutes and the print drivers disappeared overnight and I can't reinstall because they say the print spooler is stoppedI haver other pc's connected to the printers and they work fine.They are wireless printersHELP!...
  4. print spooler keeps stopping - print drivers disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    print spooler keeps stopping - print drivers disappeared: The print spooler keeps stopping every few minutes and the print drivers disappeared overnight and I can't reinstall because they say the print spooler is stoppedI haver other pc's connected to the printers and they work fine.They are wireless printersHELP!...
  5. print spooler keeps stopping - print drivers disappeared

6. Print spooler

Print spooler: Just updated win 10 to latest update. Now cannot print to HP Laserjet Pro mfp 1410. The print spooler will not remain on. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/fe76dc32-5978-4e2b-b195-0dcd75753c60
  7. my print spooler has stopped

my print spooler has stopped: I am unable to start my print spooler would like a how to restart it. Tried the trouble shooter and it didn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-print-spooler-has-stopped/90cac5db-2ce4-4f6b-9100-d8fbbca1651a
  8. Print Spooler Restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Print Spooler Restart: I am trying to install a printer. During the setup the installer stops the Print Spooler service and when it goes to restart the service, the service gets stuck on starting. When I cancel the installation the service goes back to operating normally... I've had the printer...
  9. Print Spooler Service Stopping

Print Spooler Service Stopping: What can I do to keep the print spooler service from stopping all the time ? I have to restart it almost daily. Thanks in advance for assistance. 70050
  10. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: My update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 went without problems but none of the three printers attached to my computer worked and I have been struggling with the problem over the last two weeks. There is another long thread "Can't connect to Printer" which has not produced a...