Windows 10: Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10

How to: Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10

How to Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10

Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing the latest features and improvements, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoftand with fewer interruptions and restarts when you're using your PC the most. The latest updates will automatically download and install when theyre available. (Unless youre on a check for updates.)

Active hours identify the period of time when you expect the device to be in use. Automatic restarts after an update will occur outside of the active hours.

When a restart is required to install updates, the auto-restart required notification is displayed. By default, the notification is automatically dismissed after 25 seconds. If you like, you can enable a policy to require user action to dismiss the notification. This will help make sure users see the notification to restart, and save their work first.

This tutorial will show you how to require user action to dismiss the auto-restart required notification for Windows Update in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to configure auto-restart required notification for updates.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Auto-restart required notification for updates

Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

(reminder)

OPTION ONE [/i] Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure auto-restart required notification for updates policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (specify) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Use Default Auto Dismiss Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Require User Action to Dismiss Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select 2 - User Action in the Method drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

SetAutoRestartRequiredNotificationDismissal DWORD

(delete) = Default Auto
    1 = User Action

AutoRestartRequiredNotificationDismissal DWORD

(delete) = Default Auto
    2 = User Action

1. Do step 2 (Default Auto) or step 3 (User Action) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Default Auto Dismiss Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Default_auto_dismiss_auto-restart_required_notification.reg

Download

3. To Require User Action to Dismiss Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Require_user_action_to_dismiss_auto-restart_required_notification.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 13, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows 10 malware

Uh, a few days ago (7/15), a lot of "important security updates" were put out on Windows Vista-8.1 that required multiple restarts to fully install. It surprised me too because updates usually don't require more than one restart. Anyway, GWX was one of the updates your computer grabbed but it was NOT the update requiring restarts. GWX never requires a restart.

Windows 7 list:
    KB3045305
    KB3067903
    KB3069762
    KB3070102
    KB2069392
    KB3065822
    KB3070738
    KB3072633
    KB3057154
    KB3072630
    KB3077657
    KB3067505

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10

Windows restart required notification

Hi KSK100..

You can Disable Update Restart Notifications on Windows 10

I am Vanshita, an Independent Windows Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

See here:-

https://www.howto-connect.com/enable-disable-up...

Disclaimer 1 - Using Third Party Software is completely at your own risk. This advice is in my personal capacity as a volunteer.

Disclaimer 2 - This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it..

vanshitavanshita, Oct 27, 2019
  5. behealed Win User
    Disabling Auto Restarts for Updates

Disabling automatic restarts appears to be easy.

REQUIRES Windows 10 **** PRO**** !!!

1) Search for "Edit Group Policy"

2) Navigate to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update

3) Enable "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates"

4) Enable "Configure Automatic Updates"

5) Under "Configure Automatic Updates", select the option for "Auto download and notify for install"

Credit for this solution:

behealed, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

No, the license only applies to the Windows 8 OEM copy the original owner purchased with laptop, it doesn't magically transform into Windows 8.1 Retail one.

OK, so here's the commonly recommended steps that should help you with your problem.

Before you begin, I would recommend you to download both of these files and save them on your USB drive in order to use it later as the only source of third-party packages:
    1. The first step would be to recover the original Windows installation using your hard drive partition (the thing that you've done before, I believe). Follow the steps described here (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03544793#N258) and see if you missed anything. By the end of this operation, make so that your HP product is not connected to any sort of network.

2. Configure your HP device to boot in "clean" mode as described here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135). Restart once.

3. Run the first file you've downloaded (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67259.exe) from your just-recovered Windows copy and follow the steps required.

4. Run the AMD package (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug.exe). Choose the "Advanced" installation option in order to be able to opt-out the "AMD/Raprt App" and "HydraVision" packages.

5. Establish an Internet connection. Run "Windows Store" tile from your Start screen, and select "Windows 8.1" package.

6. Once you're done with your migration from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you can install all the critical updates offered by Windows Update, which would be driver software, then Windows 8.1 Update package (KB2919442 > KB2919355 > KB2932046 > KB2959977 > KB2937592 > KB2938439 > KB2934018), "August" Update (KB2993651 > KB2975719 > KB2993100 > KB2979582 > KB2990532 > KB2995004) and .NET Framework 4.5.2 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642).

Constantine Yevseyev, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10

1. Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Configure Auto restart

2. auto restart in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    auto restart in windows 10: After a power surge I am unable to shut down my computer. When I attempt to shut down, it restarts automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-restart-in-windows-10/d3fd76a3-4662-4637-bb98-9826da98e766
  3. How can I configure windows 10 to auto restart when updating windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I configure windows 10 to auto restart when updating windows?: Hi guys, I usually control windows update service by enabling or disabling it using Group Policy so I can update the windows as a specific time that I want. However the process of updating windows is a little annoying when I have to watch for it and click restart when it...
  4. Windows updates the require restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updates the require restart: Windows update said it required to restart. Said yeah sure and restarted, got black screen stayed like that for 20 minutes. Then I forced a shut off. Windows asked me to restart again after I turned the computer back on. Instead I waited a few days then tried it again. It's...
  5. Windows restart required notification

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows restart required notification: Hello, After I installed the latest windows 10 update of 2019 , every time I start my pc I get this notification shown in the picture below. The notification keeps popping up whenever I restart or start windows again. [ATTACH]...
  6. Windows Updates auto restart

Windows Updates auto restart: I have a windows 10 machine running windows server 2016 essentials. I have a update that is pending restart outside active hours. I want to deactivate this and only restart when I tell it too. Can you help me with the settings I need to change....
  7. Restart Required message shows on notifications

Restart Required message shows on notifications: Hi. Soon after I hard reset my laptop I keep on getting notifications like this. Restart Required. Your PC needs to be restarted in order to finish setting up this device. Asus Support Device. I've restarted and updated the laptop so many times but it won't go away. What...
  8. Windows 10 auto restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 auto restarts: I have tried to stop pc from restarting automatically and following different site suggestions has not worked. Suggestions please. 69204
  9. Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10: How to: Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates in Windows 10 Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading...
  10. Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10: How to: Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. configure auto-restart warning notifications schedule for updates