Windows 10: Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10

How to: Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10

How to Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates in Windows 10

Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing the latest features and improvements, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoftand with fewer interruptions and restarts when you're using your PC the most. The latest updates will automatically download and install when theyre available. (Unless youre on a check for updates.)

Active hours identify the period of time when you expect the device to be in use. Automatic restarts after an update will occur outside of the active hours.

When a restart is required to install updates, you can schedule a time to restart and finish installing updates.

By default, a auto-restart reminder notification will show 15 minutes prior to a scheduled restart.

If you like, you can set a policy to specify the amount of time you want prior to a scheduled restart to notify users.

This tutorial will show you how to specify the amount of time prior to a scheduled restart for Windows Update to show auto-restart reminder notifications in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to configure auto-restart reminder notifications for updates.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Auto-restart reminder notifications for updates

Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure auto-restart reminder notifications for updates policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (specify) below for what you would like to do.

5. Use Default Time Prior to Scheduled Restart to Show Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. Specify Time Prior to Scheduled Restart to Show Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select a time period in minutes (15, 30, 60, 120, or 240) you want in the drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

SetAutoRestartNotificationConfig DWORD

(delete) = Default
    1 = Specify

AutoRestartNotificationSchedule DWORD

(delete) = Default
    15 (decimal) = 15 minutes
    30 (decimal) = 30 minutes
    60 (decimal) = 60 minutes
    120 (decimal) = 120 minutes
    240 (decimal) = 240 minutes

1. Do step 2 (Default), step 3 (15 minutes), step 4 (30 minutes), step 5 (60 minutes), step 6 (120 minutes), or step 7 (240 minutes) below for what you would like to do.

2. Use Default Period for Auto-restart Reminder Notifications
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 8 below.

Default_period_for_auto-restart_reminder_notifications.reg

Download

3. Specify 15 Minutes Prior to Scheduled Restart to Show Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 8 below.

15_minute_period_for_auto-restart_reminder_notifications.reg

Download

4. Specify 30 Minutes Prior to Scheduled Restart to Show Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates

30_minute_period_for_auto-restart_reminder_notifications.reg

Download

5. Specify 60 Minutes Prior to Scheduled Restart to Show Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates

60_minute_period_for_auto-restart_reminder_notifications.reg

Download

6. Specify 120 Minutes Prior to Scheduled Restart to Show Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates

120_minute_period_for_auto-restart_reminder_notifications.reg

Download

7. Specify 240 Minutes Prior to Scheduled Restart to Show Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates

240_minute_period_for_auto-restart_reminder_notifications.reg

Download
    8. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

9. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

10. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

11. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 20, 2018

2. Reminder notification to all calendar entries

Hi Aldrene,

thank you for your suggestion.

I checked these configurations you have mentioned, but my problem have not found a solution.

The notification of an appointment will appear if the reminder was set. It would be great if the notifications of appointments would be shown for all appointments from my calendar without adjusted reminders.

Is it possible to configure or is it a feature request for Microsoft?

Best regards.

JanosPenzes, Oct 27, 2019
  3. David Haz Win User
    No notifications for reminders

Hello Gwyn,

If you are not notified about your reminders by Cortana, it could be that a component within Windows may need updating, or that a setting in your device might have been changed, etc. For us to assist you properly in using Reminders in Windows 10 through
    Cortana, kindly respond to the questions below:

• Which Insider build are you currently running?
    • Have you made any changes to your device prior to the issue? If yes, what are these changes?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10

Windows 10 auto restarts

"Between all suggestions, including the one there, there is nothing that has worked." I hate to sound reduntant but I just had to repeat myself since it still applies.
    An additional factore that may have bearing is that at some point my system converted to trying to boot off of my external drive if it is plugged in. Nothing has worked in attempting to resolve that issue either. As I said it may or may not have a bearing on the restart issue.*sarc

bobsscgirl, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Liezl Fal Win User
    Restart notification window upon login

You can try to open the Local Group Policy Editor and edit the settings. Kindly try these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Run, and type gpedit.msc.
    • Find the Windows Update settings.
      • Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
    • Edit these 2 settings:
      • No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations:
        Enabled
      • Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations: Enabled, wait period (minutes): 1440
    We're here for your feedback.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Oct 27, 2019
  6. auto trivia restart script?

I know everyone is so busy here so I'm suggesting an auto restart script so trivia is a benefit instead of a burden. Can anyone make this script?

vectoravtech, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10

1. Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Configure Auto restart

2. auto restart in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    auto restart in windows 10: After a power surge I am unable to shut down my computer. When I attempt to shut down, it restarts automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-restart-in-windows-10/d3fd76a3-4662-4637-bb98-9826da98e766
  3. How can I configure windows 10 to auto restart when updating windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I configure windows 10 to auto restart when updating windows?: Hi guys, I usually control windows update service by enabling or disabling it using Group Policy so I can update the windows as a specific time that I want. However the process of updating windows is a little annoying when I have to watch for it and click restart when it...
  4. Notifications Self-Created Reminders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notifications Self-Created Reminders in Windows 10: Where, on my PC, do I go to locate all the Notifications i.e. Reminders that I've previously created? I realise that - if I open the Action Centre i.e. the Icon on the far right of the Task Bar - then I can access a specific Notification that happens to have popped-up in...
  5. Windows Updates auto restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates auto restart: I have a windows 10 machine running windows server 2016 essentials. I have a update that is pending restart outside active hours. I want to deactivate this and only restart when I tell it too. Can you help me with the settings I need to change....
  6. Compatibility Assistant Reminders/Notifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatibility Assistant Reminders/Notifications: Every time that I start up my laptop and load up my desktop, Compatibility Assistant gives me the exact same reminders every time. What do I need to do to stop this constant notification every time that I start up my system? Notifications: We turned on Windows Defender...
  7. Windows 10 auto restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 auto restarts: I have tried to stop pc from restarting automatically and following different site suggestions has not worked. Suggestions please. 69204
  8. Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10: How to: Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates in Windows 10 Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading...
  9. Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10: How to: Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and...
  10. Reminder for restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Reminder for restart: W10049 pop up keeps notifying me of a scheduled restart @ xx:xx. It further says to select the window to change, that does not respond at all. Any guess where this is originating. 5544