Windows 10: Restart Start Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Restart Start Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restart Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Restart Start Menu in Windows 10 The Start menu contains shortcuts of all your apps, settings,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Restart Start Menu in Windows 10

How to: Restart Start Menu in Windows 10

How to Restart Start Menu in Windows 10

The Start menu contains shortcuts of all your apps, settings, and files.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18317, Microsoft separated the Start menu into its own process, called StartMenuExperienceHost.exe. This has a number of benefits, including simplifying debugging and insulating Start from potential issues impacting other surfaces.

This will allow you restart the Start menu without having to restart the explorer.exe process.

Restarting the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process can be helpful if the Start menu will not open, frozen, or acting buggy.

This tutorial will show you how to restart the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process to restart the Start menu as needed for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process (Start menu) in Task Manager Processes tab
    • Option Two: Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process (Start menu) in Task Manager Details tab
    • Option Three: Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process (Start menu) in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process (Start menu) in PowerShell

EXAMPLE: Start menu

Restart Start Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process (Start menu) in Task Manager Processes tab
    1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) in more details view.

2. Click/tap on the Processes tab in Task Manager. (see screenshot below)

3. Under the Background processes section, locate Start, and perform one of the following actions below:
    • Select Start, and click/tap on the End task button.
    • Right click or press and hold on Start, and click/tap on End task.
    4. The Start process will now automatically stop and start to restart your Start menu.

*note If the Start process doesn't automatically restart, then you can run the C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHos t.exe file to manually restart it.

OPTION TWO [/i] Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process (Start menu) in Task Manager Details tab
    1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) in more details view.

2. Click/tap on the Details tab in Task Manager. (see screenshot below)

3. Locate StartMenuExperienceHost.exe in the Name column, and perform one of the following actions below:
    • Select StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, and click/tap on the End task button.
    • Right click or press and hold on StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, and click/tap on End task.

4. Click/tap on End process to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. The StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process will now automatically stop and start to restart your Start menu.

*note If the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process doesn't automatically restart, then you can run the C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHos t.exe file to manually restart it.

OPTION THREE [/i] Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process (Start menu) in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow taskkill /f /im StartMenuExperienceHost.exe
    3. The StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process will now automatically stop and start to restart your Start menu.

*note If the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process doesn't automatically restart, then you can run the start C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe command to manually restart it.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process (Start menu) in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. opy and paste the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Stop-Process -Name "StartMenuExperienceHost" -Force
    3. The StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process will now automatically stop and start to restart your Start menu.

*note If the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process doesn't automatically restart, then you can run the Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe" command to manually restart it.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 21, 2018
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Jetster Win User
    Windows 10 Start menu issue

Ive always had issues with the start menu. Pin to start sometimes doesn't work. Now I cant move the icons. And the right click menu sticks. If I do manage to move one it disappears on to reappear later.
    Love 10 other than that. Whats the deal? I would like to organize my icons. Ive tried tablet mode too

Another thing it does when I first restart its bright. Then if I try to move something it dims

Jetster, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Jetster Win User

Jetster, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Start menu issue

yeah I've been less than happy with the start menu also.
    for me I for me I get freezes in start menu, especialy returning from sleep...which reminds me sleep is such a pain in the butt since I switch to Windows 10. Either waking up on its own, or system freezes when recovering from sleep

Stardock was a nice switch from vanilla, but i wasnt gonna buy it and 30 days goes by quick.

jboydgolfer, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Restart Start Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restart Start Menu

2. Windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 start menu: Hi I woke up my pc from sleeping and my start menu popped up out of nowhere. How can i get this to stop? Its a desktop computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu/5067fa91-1076-436d-9d5d-556f3cbd6256
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu

Windows 10 Start Menu: Hi, Sorry if it's in the wrong section, but how do you guys sort your start menu, mine is like this (see image). As you can see i'm not good at sorting my apps...*chuckle Don't know where to put the apps on the top right. [img] 158886
  4. Windows 10 build 1909 start menu not working after restart

Windows 10 build 1909 start menu not working after restart: Hi, Pulling hair out here. 64 bit windows, fresh install keeping files reset option, start menu working when turns on after install. Hurrah, download and install chrome, turn off. When turned on again, start menu etc not working. Have tried everything. Scan,...
  5. Start menu and windows 10

Start menu and windows 10: I have a HP laptop for work that hasnt been running properly for a few months, it keeps saying my disk storage is full even after deleting files and uninstalling apps etc so i was told to go on task manager and end the processes. Not sure if this is directly related but now i...
  6. Windows 10 Pro Start Menu Resets on Restart

Windows 10 Pro Start Menu Resets on Restart: This is a new laptop I just got yesterday. Every time I restart the machine the Start Menu Resets to factory setting. (When I try to change the layout and apps, upon restart it's not the way I left it before the restart). I tried to "re-register" the start menu with...
  7. Start Menu not responding? Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Start Menu not responding? Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]I am sure you must have faced a situation where the Start Menu stops responding. It either doesn’t open or sometimes it just hangs on the screen wide open. Starting with Windows 10 v1903, there is a separate process available [...] This post Start Menu not...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu

Windows 10 Start Menu: I am having problem in my Windows 10 , I am unable to click or open start menu , even search engine too . Any solution please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu/1add266f-4bbb-47c2-a2fc-b27182ed29b0
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu

Windows 10 Start Menu: I am having problem in my Windows 10 , I am unable to click or open start menu , even search engine too . Any solution please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-start-menu/1add266f-4bbb-47c2-a2fc-b27182ed29b0
  10. Add Restart Start Menu to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Restart Start Menu to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Restart Start Menu to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Restart Start Menu to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 The Start menu contains shortcuts of all your apps, settings, and files. Starting with Windows 10 build 18317, Microsoft separated...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskkill /im StartMenuExperienceHost.exe /f.

2. \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe