Windows 10: Office Word 2003 "Save As"

Discus and support Office Word 2003 "Save As" in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm running Office 2003 in Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) with no visible issues. Except that when I want to save a Word document using "Save... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Matthew Pollock, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Office Word 2003 "Save As"

I'm running Office 2003 in Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) with no visible issues.

Except that when I want to save a Word document using "Save As" it prompts me for all sorts of unsuitable locations...My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, and some random programs which somehow landed up in the "Documents" folder. None of the shortcuts I'd like to see there (and which are in the folder, because I put them there!) show up. What to do?

:)

Matthew Pollock, Feb 6, 2016

2. skydrive and office 2003

Because Microsoft decided that you don't need that feature.

Try installing Office 2007 Compatibility Pack for Office 2003 and saving the files as .docx since.doc is not supported.

Hill Billy 3, Feb 6, 2016
  3. Obiwan5 Win User
    . psw file converters for Windows Phone office program

I've tried two versions of MS Office Word (2003 and 2010), but they don't recognise the file format. Files were created using an Orbit2 XDA phone with pocket word installed. Unfortunately I don't have access to this phone any more...

Thanks for feedback though.

Obiwan5, Feb 6, 2016
  4. strollin Win User

Office Word 2003 "Save As"

What do you have defined for where documents should be saved under Tools->Options->File Locations?

strollin, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Yes that is correct - at present it points to "Documents". However, the problem is what appears WITHIN "Documents" - alas, no folder appears that I would want to save a file into!

I want to be able to control what folders show up WITHIN whatever folder "Save As" points me to. My impression is (memory is a little weak) that under Windows 7, by moving shortcuts onto the desktop, I was to get a set of useful folders showing whenever I clicked "Save As". Now I get useless folders which have no relevance to any save I might want to perform.

Matthew Pollock, Feb 7, 2016
  6. To elaborate on my issue a little. I use Dropbox to store most of my files. Besides the Dopbox folder itself, there are a number of highly-used sub-folders within Dropbox that I would want to have immediately available when I click "Save As". If my memory serves me well, under Windows 7 I was able to achieve that by placing the appropriate shortcuts on the Desktop and clicking "Desktop" as the "Save As" location. The result was a crowded menu, but the desired items were there. Now - presumably because of some decision by Microsoft to clean things up - many fewer items appear, and certainly none of the shortcuts which I would like to see.

Matthew Pollock, Feb 7, 2016
  7. strollin Win User
    Ok, I tried doing the shortcut thing and it doesn't work for me in Win 10 either. I can't test whether it works in Win 7 or not since I don't have a Win 7 box with Office 2003 on it.

Why not point the File Location option mentioned above to your Dropbox folder (or even a documents folder within DropBox)? Seems that should do the trick for you. I tried it on my machine and it works great that way.

strollin, Feb 7, 2016
  8. Mikkel Win User

I have the exact same problem as Matthew. I want to "save as" in different places on my computer and With windows 7 it used to be easy, I have made shortcuts to the different folders in one place, but after upgrading to windows 10 it doesn't read the shortcuts anymore. It worked fine with win7.
    I would love to get a solution to this problem

Mikkel, May 11, 2016
  9. wendyo Win User
    I have this problem as well. I have shortcuts to frequently used file folders on my desktop, and when I try to save a document ("save as") no shortcuts come up. This is a new problem since I upgraded to Windows 10.

wendyo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Office Word 2003 "Save As" - Similar Threads - Office Word 2003

2. Office 2003 updates needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 2003 updates needed: Hello All,I'm running an old database my Company bought in 2000 for $10K. I am last using it now as a Consultant part time. Too Many years of sales info and product to move to new database for a part time job.It was running fine in Windows 10 on Access 2003. But when one of...
  3. Windows Update / Word 2003

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update / Word 2003: Hi, I own Word/Office 2003. Despite Microsoft's attempts to force us into a subscription service for Word 365, Word 2003 works perfectly! with the latest Windows Version...20H2 (I believe). But Windows Update keeps trying unsuccessfully to download this KB 4601554 for Word...
  4. Word 2003 and emoji

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2003 and emoji: I still use Word 2003 to full satisfaction in my W10 Pro desktop PC. Wondering whether such a thing as an emoji font exists, I found that it exists as the font Segoe UI Emoji. Indeed, in the font listing in Word this font is present. However, when I try to use this font, only...
  5. WIN10 and Office 2003 Pro

WIN10 and Office 2003 Pro: I managed to install Office 2003 Pro on two WIN 10 computers. I had no real problem with the install. I was able too get all my old Access databases and my old spreadsheets connected to the programs and working just fine. I think I had a Windows update occur and MS tried to...
  6. Microsoft Office 2003

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Office 2003: Very recently Microsoft seems to have denied access to Office 2003 which is installed on my Windows 10 computer. I have the current Office also on my computer but prefer to use the old version. How can I access it?...
  7. MS Office 2003

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    MS Office 2003: Will this work OK on Windows 10 please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-2003/e43a87c7-3d4e-4fc8-b4dc-74e065579768"
  8. With Win10 Creators Update, Office 2003/Word 2003 Crashes

With Win10 Creators Update, Office 2003/Word 2003 Crashes: Although Office 2003 Pro was NOT supposed to work with Windows 10, it has been just fine until Windows 10 Creators Update. Now when I go to save a new document in Word 2003 in a different subdirectory from the default one, the dropdown freezes, and Word crashes with a...
  9. MS office 2003 will not start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS office 2003 will not start: Just got a new HP desktop and I can't get MS Office 2003 to set-up in Win10 . It ran great on Win7 and Winxp over a number of years. I'm sure the 25 character code is correct and I have the start-up disk in the drive . Any reason why it stopped working on Win10. I keep...
  10. Office 2003 in Windows 10

Office 2003 in Windows 10: OK, I realize this is old software, and Microsoft no longer supports it, but it mainly still works well. Equally importantly for me, it is more user friendly than current versions and still does the job. In fact, through forums like this, Office 2003 users and helpful...