Windows 10: Office Word 2013 automatically makes copies of the documents I edit?

Discus and support Office Word 2013 automatically makes copies of the documents I edit? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Can anybody tell why my Office Word 2013 automatically makes copies of the documents I edit? These copies are numbered: *(1).docx, *(2).docx, etc. I am... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by mudum, Nov 17, 2015.

1. mudum Win User

Office Word 2013 automatically makes copies of the documents I edit?

Can anybody tell why my Office Word 2013 automatically makes copies of the documents I edit? These copies are numbered: *(1).docx, *(2).docx, etc. I am working on an essay and now I have ten copies of the same file. There must be something wrong. How can I sove this issue? Thanks.

:)

mudum, Nov 17, 2015

2. Saving updates to a Word 2013 document

I am trying to save updates to an existing word 2013 document but the Save as dialogue box keeps popping up over and over and it wont save.

[Moved from: Office / Word / Windows 10 / Office 2013]

lisabelanger, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Setting office 2016 as a default

This references Office 2013, but also applies to Office 2016:

Can't set earlier version of Office as Default Program

Applies To: Excel 2013 Word 2013 PowerPoint 2013 Publisher 2013 Access 2013

When you have two versions of an Office program on the same PC, such as Word 2013 and Word 2010, you won’t be able to set the older program as the default in Default Programs in Control Panel. Only the newer version of Office will show in the list of programs.

Because you can’t set the default Office program, you won’t be able to choose which version of Office you’d like to use when you open a file.

To get around this problem, start the Office program you’d like to use first, and then open the file (File > Open) in the program. For example, if you’d like to open an older Word document with Word 2010, you’d need to start Word 2010 and then open the document
    in Word.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-t-...

So, unfortunatel, there is no way around this.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 17, 2015
  4. robgr Win User

This rings a bell but for now I would try an Office repair

robgr, Nov 17, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is from Word 2010, but it will be similar in Word 2013. It's the automatic file backup settings found under File, Options....

Office Word 2013 automatically makes copies of the documents I edit? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 17, 2015
  6. mudum Win User
    How do I carry out office repair?

mudum, Nov 18, 2015
  7. mudum Win User
    My settings look the same as yours. I do not understand what you want me to do. Could you please explain how to solve this issue? Thanks

mudum, Nov 18, 2015
  8. robgr Win User

Run the Office installation disk and choose the repair option

robgr, Nov 18, 2015
  9. mudum Win User
    I do no have it. Is there anothe way to fix it?

mudum, Nov 18, 2015
  10. robgr Win User
    You might want to download an ISO, as I assume you already have an activated Office suite I don't see any harm here
    You can't even uninstall & reinstall anything without the disk

robgr, Nov 18, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, if it is the automatic backup creating the extra files, you would want to uncheck the box for Save Autorecovery Information. But extra copies of documents have saved my behind more than one. Typically, though, autorecovery documents start with a ~. The normal source of files with (1), and (2), etc are user saves who pick the option of making a copy of the file instead of overwriting the existing file.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2015
  12. robgr Win User
    How are you making the edit, are you editing the doc and then using 'save' or 'save as'?

robgr, Nov 18, 2015
  13. Office Word 2013 automatically makes copies of the documents I edit?

are you apple to go to the Install/remove programs (search appwiz.cpl) select microsoft office and Choose "repair"?

heypaleblue, Nov 18, 2015
  14. mudum Win User
    I edit the document and I use "save."

mudum, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Office Word 2013 automatically makes copies of the documents I edit? - Similar Threads - Office Word 2013

2. Office 2013 Word and Excel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 2013 Word and Excel: When I try to open either Word or Excel, I get a message 'Something went wrong' . Then I need to close that message and click the icon again, which usually opens the app. I have gone to the Control Panel and 'Repaired' Office 2013 several times, yet the problem exists. Is...
  3. Office 2013 Word and Excel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 2013 Word and Excel: When I try to open either Word or Excel, I get a message 'Something went wrong' . Then I need to close that message and click the icon again, which usually opens the app. I have gone to the Control Panel and 'Repaired' Office 2013 several times, yet the problem exists. Is...
  4. Office 2013

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Office 2013: Hello, I have replaced my Win 8.1 laptop pc with a new Win Home 10S laptop and I want to transfer my licensed Office 2013. I have a key that I used to download but not sure where I got it. The product was purchased at a store. I don't see it listed in the MS Store along...
  5. Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2013 Word and Excel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2013 Word and Excel: just installed Windows 10 and now my Microsoft Office 2013 Word and Excel docs open I see data, and then immediately close. Please advise how I can fix this, as I noted from the microsoft website that Windows 10 should recognize Microsoft 2013....
  6. Office 2013 not working with MS Word

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2013 not working with MS Word: I purchased Office 2013 from Amazon in 2015 It has worked fine on my desktop and notebook computers until recently. Now I get the message that it can't open Normal.dotm and a few other error messages that makes it impossible to open MS Word documents. After trying to fix the...
  7. Office 2013 not working with MS Word

Office 2013 not working with MS Word: I purchased Office 2013 from Amazon in 2015 It has worked fine on my desktop and notebook computers until recently. Now I get the message that it can't open Normal.dotm and a few other error messages that makes it impossible to open MS Word documents. After trying to fix the...
  8. Word 2013

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word 2013: Attention my words 2013 disappear from my laptop Having issues printing & things like I WROTE with Words 2013 Turn to pads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2013/b86e27da-bbc6-46c6-bfa6-2d820cb04a66
  9. Make Word 2013 the default HTML editor

Make Word 2013 the default HTML editor: OK so I have Word 2013 installed and I want it to be the HTML editor in IE 11 [Version 11.0.10240.16431 loaded]. The Internet Options page for HTML editing on my PC only allows me to choose Notepad. How do I add to the drop down menu WORD or is this desired...
  10. Bad Copy - MS Office 2013

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Bad Copy - MS Office 2013: Its a long story, and ongoing via Trading Standards but I bought a copy of Microsoft office from a pc support company who installed it for me. BUT they used software I know the name of but cant mention it here to produce a key. They are refusing to reply to my emails and I...