Windows 10: OK to install Win 10 drivers in Win 7 system prior to upgrade?

Discus and support OK to install Win 10 drivers in Win 7 system prior to upgrade? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So far my attempts to upgrade a Win 7 Pro 64 system have not been successful. My system is built around an ASUS P9X79PRO motherboard and ASUS has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, May 18, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

OK to install Win 10 drivers in Win 7 system prior to upgrade?

So far my attempts to upgrade a Win 7 Pro 64 system have not been successful. My system is built around an ASUS P9X79PRO motherboard and ASUS has separate driver sections for Win 7 and Win 10. Is it Ok to install the Win 10 driver versions prior to doing another upgrade attempt? Is it necessary? Is it necessary to NOT to that?

So far my attempts to upgrade a Win 7 Pro 64 system have not been successful. My system is built around an ASUS P9X79PRO motherboard and ASUS has separate driver sections for Win 7 and Win 10. Is it Ok to install the Win 10 driver versions prior to doing another upgrade attempt? Is it necessary? Is it necessary to NOT to that?

:)

2. Driver install fail Nvidia Geforce 9500GT All versions fail on install.

Prior to Win 10 Version 344.41 driver installed on both win8.1 64 and win 7 64. On install (from 8.1) of win 10 the legacy driver worked with win 10. Something about the Nvidia installer causes fail to install in win 10. Neither 344.41 or 344.81 driver
    versions will install. Install attempt of 344.81 trashed 344.41 and now neither will install as the valid video driver for the card. I know that 344.41 will work if I could get it to install in windows 10, the original install was with win 8.1. I also have
    issues with the gigabyte board drivers, but they are not system threats, just annoyances that happen with every Microsoft new release. As an aside, all of the system worked with win 8.1 so the problems are directly related to win 10.

JefferyBoyer, May 18, 2016
  3. pgrhm Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade from win 7

I ran the compatibility check for the win 10 upgrade and everything was OK. However, the install ran OK but when I tried to start win 10 all I got was a flickering screen and the cursor thinking. My system was locked up. I had the reinstall win 7. I read
    the message boards and it looked as if I had a video driver issue, running an ATI radeon HD 4200. I checked there are no upgrade for this driver available. Does this mean my pc is not compatible win win 10?

pgrhm, May 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

I would not recommend installing W10 drivers on a W7 system. I would have them saved somewhere and ready to access after the upgrade.

simrick, May 18, 2016
  5. *Ditto I would not install the Windows 10 drivers in Windows 7. Is your Windows 7 install Retail or OEM? Have you considered doing a clean install of Windows 10? It can be activated with a Windows 7 or 8 key.

alphanumeric, May 18, 2016
  6. x509 Win User
    I have a retail Win 7. The reason I don't want to do a clean install now is that my "Programs" partition, Windows + installed programs and no real user data, is about 130 GB. Don't ask me how. *Confused I have Microsoft Office installed, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, plus Project and Visio. I also have Adobe Acrobat, Lightroom, Lightroom 6 Extended installed. Plus lots of other "stuff."

Sure I ought to do a clean install, and maybe filter out some of those programs. But first things, first.

7. It is no longer a requirement to have to do the upgrade install before doing a clean install, if that is what your wondering. It was originally, but now you can install and activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 and 8/8.1 keys. Your copy of Windows 7 being Retail makes it easier. I would not try to install Windows 10 drivers in Windows 7, unless you know for a fact that they are backward compatible with Windows 7. Otherwise you will likely cause issues. Assuming they actually install. The normal series of events would be, upgrade OS, then upgrade drivers to match.

What is currently stopping you from doing the upgrade?

alphanumeric, May 18, 2016
  8. x509 Win User

Merci bien. Thank you very much. I suspected that would be the case, but I've wondered about those situations in which a Win 10 upgrade supposedly fails over driver issues. Seems like a chicken-and-egg situation.

9. simrick Win User
    It has gotten better over the past year, but yes, we still see driver - related failures. Sometimes they can even be overcome by upgrading without internet. But, I will say this: I have seen, time after time, upgrades from W7 (not W8) with lingering problems, all of which were resolved with a clean install. Just sayin'. *Wink

simrick, May 18, 2016
  10. x509 Win User
    I hear you but I'm real busy right now, and I know that it would take me days and days to do a full clean install. I probably should do that sometime in the future anyway. The software guys I know call that "technical debt." A great term, if you ask me.

11. simrick Win User
    I went through the same thing. I just installed programs as I needed them over a 2-week period, making images as I went along with Macrium. It wasn't so bad, really. *Smile

simrick, May 19, 2016
  12. I can do a clean install and be up and running with Office installed in a few hours. Not bragging, just saying. *Wink Then I install stuff as I need it. I'm retired though, with simple needs, and not a whole lot of software to install. I can remember when it would take a week, or weeks, to get everything up and running smoothly.

alphanumeric, May 19, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Yep - I know those days well! *Wink

simrick, May 19, 2016
  14. lol, the good old days. Install DOS, I think it was 3 or 4 floppies, install Windows 3.1, another dozen or so floppies, then office, another 2 dozen or so floppies. That was an all day affair. Insert, click mouse, buzz, buzz, wash rinse and repeat.

alphanumeric, May 19, 2016
  15. swarfega Win User
    A few hours?? It usually takes me 15 minutes to install windows from USB. Then dash over to ninite.com for favourite apps and install Office 2013 and you're done inside an hour if that.

swarfega, May 19, 2016
Thema:

1. OK to install Win 10 drivers in Win 7 system prior to upgrade? - Similar Threads - install drivers system

2. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  3. is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10: I download Windows media creator tool - run it - accepted terms - and got to point of two options UPGRADE this PC now Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO) 1 Is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC??? Or to see any problems with hardware --- I have to...
  4. win 10 and older systems upgrading from win 7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 and older systems upgrading from win 7: What is going on with these latest win 10 updates? First it was my laptop, now its my desktop. It seems that win 10 is making older systems experience various problems. Drivers are getting code 12; because they need updating for win 10. Because of this I have had to go back...
  5. Upgrade a win 7 pro system to win 10 pro

Upgrade a win 7 pro system to win 10 pro: I want to upgrade a Win 7 pro system to Win 10 pro. I want to do an upgrade and NOT a clean install. My question: Can I use the commercial version (available from computer stores) of win 10 to upgrade the win 7 system and use the license key that I assume comes with...
  6. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 prior to support being discontinued

Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 prior to support being discontinued: I was FORCED to have to upgrade to Windows 10 after finding out that support will stop as of January 2020 for Windows 7. After reviewing the entire Windows 10 features I find I was extremely disappointed with access and the extreme lack of user friendly tools. 1 big issue I...
  7. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  8. Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?

Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?: I have two older PC's running Win 7 Pro (32 & 64 bit). We want to add a number of in the box(s) upgrades...like Motherboard...Graphic cards...SSD's etc. My question is does it matter if we do all this 1st before Win 10 upgrade...or can I change the 2 boxes after the 10...
  9. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...