Windows 10: old desktop icons reappered - can't delete

Discus and support old desktop icons reappered - can't delete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a load of old shorcuts reappered on my desktop, they are not clickable so can't delete them & they are also not appearing in my desktop folder,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dani1234, Apr 16, 2016.

1. dani1234 Win User

old desktop icons reappered - can't delete

I have a load of old shorcuts reappered on my desktop, they are not clickable so can't delete them & they are also not appearing in my desktop folder, i have tried to delete the thumbnail cache but had no luck, how can i get rid of theses?

:)

dani1234, Apr 16, 2016

2. USB External Drive shortcut icons showing on Desktop screen

Old title: USB External Drive icons on Desktop

Just upgraded Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro and find that I now have a dozen shortcut icons for External USB Drives on my Desktop that were not there before and I can't delete them. How do I get rid of this clutter?

CharlesStagg, Apr 16, 2016
  3. rangelus1 Win User
    How to permanently remove Windows 10 Update Assistance?

Out of nowhere a "Windows 10 Update Assistant" icon showed up on my desktop. Then I went to Programs and Features and uninstalled it but all of a sudden it reappered and it reapperas any time I uninstall it again. Microsoft, how do I permanently remove
    this program and make sure it never shows up again?

rangelus1, Apr 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, do you get an error message when you try to delete them?

Check both
    C:\Users\<your user name>\Desktop
    and
    C:\Users\Public\Desktop
    as the display is comprised of both of these.
    You should be able to add/delete/create files and folders in both however.

If you right click on these shortcuts, Properties, General tab, what do you see as the Location?

Once you know where they are, if you have permissions problems deleting them, you can delete them by:
    a. Downloading and installing FileAssassin - freeware.
    If this works, this is perhaps simplest.

b.
    - booting from a windows installation medium
    - navigate to a command prompt
    - at the command prompt navigate to where the shortcuts are
    - delete them

To do this you should have some confidence using the command prompt in this scenario.
    c.
    Otherwise use a live boot CD which you can find and download (free).

dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
  5. dani1234 Win User
    i cannot right click them, it is almost as if they are not actually there but i can see them, they do not appear in either of the desktop folders.

dani1234, Apr 16, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Are they perhaps part of the background picture?
    Somebody may played with you... Just change desktop background for test.

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2016
  7. dani1234 Win User
    Wow, i feel like a complete idiot now , spent the best part of 2 hours trying to fix this. Well this is the last time my cousin get to "borrow my laptop" *Devil

dani1234, Apr 16, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

*chuckle Tell him he owes tenforums a £10 consultation fee or equivalent. Make it sound good. Watch his expression.

dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Hey, great you solved your problem. At the end you have some fun! *Smile

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. old desktop icons reappered - can't delete - Similar Threads - old desktop icons

2. Cannot delete desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  3. I can't remove/delete certain icons in desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't remove/delete certain icons in desktop: Hello. I'm talking about these 2 icons, and no matter what I do they just won't go away. They are not showing up here nor at desktop in explorer....
  4. Can't delete an icon on the Desktop- "Could not find this item"

Can't delete an icon on the Desktop- "Could not find this item": I have an error or somthing i don't know, there is an icon on my desktop and when i delete it a window pop ups and said "Item not found" like the picture below but the icon was still there, how can i delete this annoying icon [ATTACH] * Original title: Help me pls...
  5. Slow delete of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow delete of desktop icons: Sometimes, when I try to delete a desktop shortcut icon, I get a message like "recycling Filename", which goes away in a few seconds. Then the icon stays in place for several seconds and finally disappears. Other times -- mostly -- the icon disappears immediately. Why the...
  6. folder reappers after deleting

folder reappers after deleting: I've uninstalled oracle10g on windows 10 , i couldn't find its registry files to delete so i deleted the whole oracle folder but some files are still ion the folder and window didn't let me delete the folder saying its is open in other program so i formatted the whole drive...
  7. Old desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Old desktop icons: I did a complete Windows 10 reset on my desktop pc. It left the old icons still showing on it. When I right-click on the icons to delete them it acts as if it doesn't see the icons and goes to the drop down menu for 'view, sort by, refresh, new, display settings,...
  8. Can't delete icon from my desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete icon from my desktop: Since I updated my Windows 10 to Redstone 5, I can't get rid of my 7+ Taskbar Tweaker icon from my desktop. I delete it - but it comes back very shortly. Any suggestions? 110971
  9. Can't delete Desktop Icons with a right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete Desktop Icons with a right click: Instead, I have to use the Delete button. Is this normal? 74701
  10. Deleting Desktop Icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Desktop Icons.: I'm a bit uncertain about deleting desktop icons. I recently got two new kinds: downloaded youtube vids got put in desktop with an icon on the desktop. saved .txt files got saved to the desktop with an icon. I think I've found that if I right click and delete the...