Windows 10: Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?

Discus and support Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi all, just joined up. I don't use W10 myself yet but I'm about to set up an all-in-one PC for an elderly relative. She's a great fan of many old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by teckneeculler, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?

Hi all, just joined up.

I don't use W10 myself yet but I'm about to set up an all-in-one PC for an elderly relative. She's a great fan of many old games, like Bejeweled, Flipwords, Text Twist, Luxor etc, and owns 20 or 30.

But I'm beginning to wonder if old software like this will run on W10 (I haven't opened the box but I think it's 'Home')

My next thought was, 'Is it possible to run a virtual W7 in W10?' Which would be an option for game installs.

Thanks for reading *Smile

:)

teckneeculler, Nov 24, 2015
  2. tdug Win User

Useless operating systems

I'm a fan of GOG.

No DRM, Good old games. Running perfectly under W7.

A lot of bonus material included with the games too (posters, quality soundtracks...)

I have a dual-bot PC (XP-32 / W7-64). Last year I wanted to get rid of my XP (W7 turned out to be very compatible in fact). But I won't !

W10 is full of promises but is not compatible with some of my games due to DRM : Bioshock, Fear, Civilization 4...

3. LiamGower Win User
    Will my old PC games work on windows 10?

not in my experience.i updated to W10 and a lot of my games dont work mainly command and conquer etc so i wish i had stuck with W7 now

LiamGower, Nov 24, 2015
  4. Atomic77 Win User

Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?

I am not sure about a virtual anything but I do know that just about any game that runs in windows 7 or 8 should work in windows 10. I guess it also depends on the computers specs.

Atomic77, Nov 24, 2015
  5. essenbe Win User
    Technically, you give up the Windows 7 key if you upgrade to Windows 10. So, you would have to deal with that.

On the second part, I have found it is difficult to play games in a VM. You are using 'virtual drivers', for lack of a better explanation. Plus it would depend on how many resources you have on the Host machine. You have to give up resources (CPU cores and Ram) from the host to give it to the guest. The more resources you give the guest, the better the performance will be, at the same time you can't give it so many resources that it will hurt the host too much.

essenbe, Nov 24, 2015
  6. If they don't work properly just run them in compatability mode which goes back all the way to windows 95

Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box? [​IMG]

demolishun, Nov 24, 2015
  7. sml156 Win User
    Some games made between 2003 and 2008 will not run on Windows 10 due to SecuRom and SafeDisc digital rights management (DRM)

.methodtop { margin: 8px auto 0px auto; font-weight:bold; font-size:16px; padding: 5px; border-left: 4px solid #42A1DF; } .methodmain { border-left: 4px solid #42A1DF; padding: 4px; margin: 0px auto 8px auto; } Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...c-securom-drm/
    Or Here
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/29722...ks-to-drm.html
    Also Here
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...s-microsoft-2/

sml156, Nov 24, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Be sure you install the 32 bit version of Windows 10 as it has better compatibility with older software than the 64 bit version.

LMiller7, Nov 24, 2015
  9. Guys, thanks for your helpful responses.

Atomic77: As you said, I would have thought that "just about any game that runs in windows 7 or 8 should work in windows 10." But I wasn't sure about that. And I wasn't sure that I'd made the right decision to give her a new PC with W10. Hence my question.

essenbee: Not sure what you meant about the 'giving up W7 key' reference. I'm about to set up a new computer that is apparently loaded with W10. (Home, maybe) So, there's no requirement for an upgrade, this new system should set up out of the box. Regarding the Virtual Machine option I mentioned, I'd prefer to avoid this scenario: I was just asking if anyone had tried to run W7 in a VM in W10.

demolishun: Hey, good call. I'd forgotten 'Compatibility Mode'. Senility is setting in Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box? :)

sml156: I don't think any of my relative's games fall into the Digital Rights Management category. But that's worth knowing.

LMiller77: Thanks for that reminder - I'm not sure I'll get the 32\64 option when I unpack and set up this machine, but if I do, I'll choose 32bit.

teckneeculler, Nov 24, 2015
  10. batlhilz Win User
    bewejeled works nicely atleast *Smile

batlhilz, Nov 24, 2015
  11. OK, seems like I was worried about nothing. Just about every game I've tried works OK. They're all fairly simple, but it's those older games that my elderly friend prefers.

Thanks for your comments, folks. *chuckle

teckneeculler, Nov 25, 2015
  12. Dean73 Win User
    x86 is the better option. 64bit OS's will have trouble running some x86 applications. Which keeps me lying in the 32bit range *Smile

Dean73, Nov 28, 2015
  13. essenbe Win User

@Dean73, what OS are you running? Your System Specs say Linux. Windows X64 has a Program Files X86 folder for 32 bit applications. I have never had a problem running them. With X86 installation, you are limited to about 3.6 GB of ram which would hurt you in some games.

essenbe, Nov 28, 2015
  14. Dean73 Win User
    Less than that *Smile I had 12gb of RAM and it was only using 2gb of RAM. But you're right though. I'm not using Linux anymore i'm on a Redstone build of Windows 10.

Dean73, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box? - Similar Threads - Old games W10

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  6. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  7. I am running W7, trying to upgrade to W10.

I am running W7, trying to upgrade to W10.: Split from this thread. Same issue here. And yes, I did buy a licence. But I never get to the point where I'm asked for the product key. I also get the same message at the end of the process: "The updates are installed but Windows 10 Setup needs to restart for them to...
  8. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  9. can i transfer W7 Games to W10 this question hasn't been fully answer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i transfer W7 Games to W10 this question hasn't been fully answer: this question hasn't been fully answered 39899
  10. Ad Free Solitaire etc Old W7 classic games still work on W10 !!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ad Free Solitaire etc Old W7 classic games still work on W10 !!!: Hi there For Solitaire /. Spider Solitaire / Hearts etc addicts who HATES the new subscription model a reminder here that the old Classic games supplied with W7 STILL work on W10. (At least the 64 bit version still does - I don't have any x86 machines so I can't try)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. run w7 in w10

2. play old games on w10