Windows 10: Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

Discus and support Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My old laptop died before I could get the files off it. I have the 2.5 SSD 256 GB SATA hard drive in hard drive enclosure - should I be able to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Brenda Turnbull, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

My old laptop died before I could get the files off it. I have the 2.5 SSD 256 GB SATA hard drive in hard drive enclosure - should I be able to use file explorer to transfer the files - or it is there something else I need to do. first. The new laptop is Windows 11, the old one was Windows 10. However I do have access to another Windows 10 machine. Neither are recognising the files in File explorer but Device manager does recognise the device.Thank you

:)

Brenda Turnbull, Dec 9, 2023
  2. Drone Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Dec 9, 2023
  3. Platibus Win User
    Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, Dec 9, 2023
  4. Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Dec 9, 2023
Thema:

Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

1. Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file... - Similar Threads - Old laptop died

2. Accessing files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing files from old hard drive: My old laptop crashed. I was able to get the hard drive out of the laptop and I got a reader. This old laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 long before it died. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. When I hook up to the old hard drive, it will not allow me to access my...
  3. Accessing files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing files from old hard drive: My old laptop crashed. I was able to get the hard drive out of the laptop and I got a reader. This old laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 long before it died. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. When I hook up to the old hard drive, it will not allow me to access my...
  4. Accessing files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...: My old laptop died before I could get the files off it. I have the 2.5 SSD 256 GB SATA hard drive in hard drive enclosure - should I be able to use file explorer to transfer the files - or it is there something else I need to do. first. The new laptop is Windows 11, the old...
  6. Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...: My old laptop died before I could get the files off it. I have the 2.5 SSD 256 GB SATA hard drive in hard drive enclosure - should I be able to use file explorer to transfer the files - or it is there something else I need to do. first. The new laptop is Windows 11, the old...
  7. Hard Drive Files Show on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Files Show on Desktop: Hi, I just installed Windows 10 in my Dell laptop. Everything seems to work fine til I noticed my files in hard drive D: appears on my desktop. I have both SSD C: and HDD D:. Originally, my desktop folder was saved in SSD 256GB, but I moved the folder to HDD 1TB because it...
  8. Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive: I need to retrieve some very important files from a hard drive that has not been in use for more than a year after I needed the ram from that PC for something else because my current Windows 10 PC decided to purge these files without my consent and I am UNABLE to access these...
  9. I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...: I connected my old hard drive to my new PC. The HDD has two partitions. I can enter into both of them, but when I try to open some of the folders it says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder". I...
  10. Gaining permission to an old hard drive files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Gaining permission to an old hard drive files: Hi. I have an old hard drive with which I decided to copy it's data to a new HDD, I had a OS installed on it (probably windows xp) when I decided not to use it. Now that I decide to copy its data from C drive, It says you don't have access and you need to fix the premission...