Windows 10: Old SimpleTech Simpledrive Driver

Discus and support Old SimpleTech Simpledrive Driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I upgraded with a new Dell PC Desktop to windows 10 from Vista. I put a lot of my files on a SimpleTech Simpledrive Model 96300-47001-001 USB drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Okminty, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Okminty Win User

Old SimpleTech Simpledrive Driver

I upgraded with a new Dell PC Desktop to windows 10 from Vista. I put a lot of my files on a SimpleTech Simpledrive Model 96300-47001-001 USB drive hoping that I could attach it to my new PC and transfer the files that way. Do any drivers for this hardware exist for windows 10? The old PC was having boot problems so I am hoping the drivers for 10 exist. If not I will have to boot the old PC one more time and copy off what I need. Any suggestions of finding a Windows 10 driver for this 400 GB external hard drive? I did the Google thing and of course came up with many people who want me to download their "manager". Not really fond of that.

:)

Okminty, Sep 16, 2015
  2. skip3119 Win User

My SimpleTech 400 GB Simple Drive doesn't work with Windows 10.

I have 2 windows 10 computers, neither works with the SimpleTech SimpleDrive.

Tried different USB ports and different cables - no luck.

But when SimpleTech SimpleDrive is connected to a windows XP computer - it just works, no driver is needed.

There are a lot of SimpleTech SimpleDrives out there, I don't know if Microsoft will look into it to make them work with windows 10.

skip3119, Sep 16, 2015
  3. skip3119 Win User
    My SimpleTech 400 GB Simple Drive doesn't work with Windows 10.

Sorry to hear that, we are in the same boat.

I bought 2 Simpletech SimpleDrive a few years ago.

Neither came with a Device Driver disk, it doesn't need it - you just plug it in and it just works, that is until Windows 10 came along.

When Windows 10 came along, the Simpletech SimpleDrive just doesn't work - I tried on 3 different computers running Win 10 and tried different USB ports and different cables, no luck.

A poster above (trying to help) said that he searched the web and couldn't find the device driver - of course he couldn't find it, he can not find something that doesn't even exist.

The fact is that it doesn't have or need a Device Driver, it just works for any Windows versions prior to Windows 10.

There are probably a few million Simpletech SimpleDrives out there. Will Microsoft fix this problem?

Beats me, I don't know.

skip3119, Sep 16, 2015
  4. Learner99 Win User

For windows versions prior to Windows 10, Simpletech SimpleDrive is a "plug and play" device - you just plug it in and it just plays. A few years ago I bought two on different occasions, none came with a device driver disk - it doesn't need it, none existed anyhow.

When Windows 10 came along - you plug it in, it just doesn't play. You try different USB ports and different cables and different Windows 10 computers, it just doesn't play (doesn't work.) That's my experience. Don't know if Microsoft will fix this problem.

A "Plug and Play" device becomes a "Plug and Doesn't Play" device.

Learner99, Dec 9, 2015
  5. pjhutch Win User
    I believe this is a USB 2.0 drive. The cheap cable that came with it may not be good enough, try a more expensive USB cable to connect to your PC. Does the drive come with its own power unit or does it draw power via the USB cable? If it draws power, try using powered ports, usually at the back of the PC. USB drives do NOT require any extra drivers, the standard USB controller and USB Mass Storage Device drivers are all that are required.
    If the drive content is slightly corrupted, then the drive might not appear in explorer. Check Device Management and Disk Management to see if the device is showing.

pjhutch, Dec 9, 2015
  6. Learner99 Win User
    ====================================
    Same cable was used:

Connecting Simpletech Simpledrive to different computers running windows versions Prior to Windows 10 --- all workd.
    Connecting Simpletech Simpledrive to different computers running Windows 10 (I have 3 of them) --- none worked.

So, the cable is not the problem.
    Something in Widows 10 made this (SimpleDrive) "Plug and Play" device into "Plug and Doesn't Play".

Learner99, Dec 14, 2015
  7. pjhutch Win User
    Does the drive appear at all in Disk Management console or the Device Manager?

pjhutch, Dec 14, 2015
  8. strollin Win User

I've never understood this attitude. Why is it up to Microsoft to fix the problem and not SimpleTech? I would be asking SimpleTech when they were going to supply a Win 10 compatible driver for their device.

strollin, Dec 14, 2015
  9. Learner99 Win User
    ===================
    It worked for windows versions prior to Windows 10.
    I don't know if SimpleTech is still in business.
    Effect on me: I still have several computers running old windows, so the two drives, I bought many years ago, are still useful to me.
    So the effect on me is not that much. Btw, someone else started this thread, I posted because I happened to have the same problems. It would be nice if the drive can work with Windows 10, if not - no big deal.
    ===================

Quote: "I''ve never understood this attitude. Why is it up to Microsoft to fix the problem and not SimpleTech?"
    That's a very interesting point, I don't know the answer.
    MS has been fixing a long list of Windows 10 problems.

Learner99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Old SimpleTech Simpledrive Driver - Similar Threads - Old SimpleTech Simpledrive

2. SimpleTech HD - Not Recognized as Plug N Play

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SimpleTech HD - Not Recognized as Plug N Play: I have a new computer and pulled out my SimpleTech 96300-41001-012 external hard drive. Plugged it in and it is not recognized. No driver loaded for it.I did notice that my old cable has a filter on it but not sure that is relevant.Where do I find a driver for this model?...
  3. SimpleTech HD - Not Recognized as Plug N Play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SimpleTech HD - Not Recognized as Plug N Play: I have a new computer and pulled out my SimpleTech 96300-41001-012 external hard drive. Plugged it in and it is not recognized. No driver loaded for it.I did notice that my old cable has a filter on it but not sure that is relevant.Where do I find a driver for this model?...
  4. SimpleTech Hard Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SimpleTech Hard Drive Not Recognized: When I plug in an external hard drive to my laptop the drive is not recognized and Windows says the drive malfunctioned The error is given during the installation of its USB driver. I mean the driver that Windows installs when connecting a device to a USB port. The drive...
  5. Simpletech HD files missing

Simpletech HD files missing: I have a Simpletech external hard drive which according to its properties has 23GB of files and 441gn free space. When I connect it to the computer and click to open it, no files are present even there should be 23 of info. Can someone help me locate them? Thanks you....
  6. Old Drivers!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old Drivers!: I have a Sony VPCS117GG laptop. I wanted to upgrade it to windows 10 but... the drivers are for Windows 7. Soo I don't know to use the old Windows 7 drivers because I cannot find newer drivers for windows 10. Can someone help me. Im stuck at using windows 7....
  7. simpletech external hard drive

simpletech external hard drive: when I connect the simpletech external hard drive to my laptop, it states there is a problem wit the drive and to scan it. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/simpletech-external-hard-drive/83dee4ce-0761-48dd-9df0-3f71b8f0d270
  8. USB old drivers

USB old drivers: One would think all drivers would be updated with1903. But apparently my drivers for usb mass storage devices are all dated 6/31/2006 while the 3.0 hubs are dated 3/18 2019. 133309
  9. Simpletech

Simpletech: I own a Simpletech external hard drive that used to work with my Windows 7 computer. But, I tried to access it on my Windows 10 computer, and it didn't work. I don't have a Windows 7 computer anymore. I upgraded it to Windows 10. Why can't I access my Simpletech drive?...
  10. Windows 10 can not recognize the Simpletech's Simple Drive.

Windows 10 can not recognize the Simpletech's Simple Drive.: "Simple Drive" is a USB connected mass storage device. Mine is a 400 GB drive. It works fine in Win XP but not Win 10. Neither XP nor Win 10 showed a device driver has been installed. Google can not find a site that has the driver. Any help? Sure appreciated. 16484