Windows 10: Old Software On New PC Question

Discus and support Old Software On New PC Question in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Just bought a new Dell desktop PC running W10. My old one, also a Dell, was running W7. I have some Dell disks from the old one that Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Robert11, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Robert11 Win User

Old Software On New PC Question

Hello,

Just bought a new Dell desktop PC running W10.
    My old one, also a Dell, was running W7.

I have some Dell disks from the old one that Dell supplied with it as a sort of backup.

I would like to use this CD which has the full Corel suite on it, presumably, which I bought extra from Dell when I purchased the old PC. They installed it on the PC, and supplied these discs as a sort of safety or backup if ever required to reinstall.

The disc is labeled: "The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this CD to REINSTALL the software"

When I try to install it on the new W10 PC, I get the following msg.:
    "This software can only be installed on a Dell unbranded computer"

Any idea what they are saying ? What's an Unbranded Computer ?

Any work a rounds to allow it to be installed on the new W10 PC ?
    Both PC's were Dell's, so was hoping to reuse the Corel Suite on new one.

Thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Nov 24, 2015

2. Installing Windows 10 on a new PC

Hi, I will shortly be finished building my new PC. My old laptop has windows 10 installed on it. My question is can I install windows 10 on the new PC using the media creation tool here: Download Windows 10 and then
    entering the key from my old laptop on the new PC?

Thanks, Jamie

Jamie Robb, Nov 24, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    HDD transfer to new computer?

Hi Dav, what you are trying to do will not work . . .

Yes you can plug your old hard drive into your new PC, but the software installed in that drive will not work, if you are booting the new system from the other drive.

All your old software will need to be installed on the new PC's hard drive!

You basically have these options:

Boot your new system from the old drive and all software will work

Use the old drive simply as a Data Drive on your New PC and delete the old Operating System and applications (software) from it

DaveM121, Nov 24, 2015
  4. Atomic77 Win User

Um I believe any backup disks from the old PC can only be used on that system since one is running windows 7 and the other is windows 10. I don't really know all that much more about it. I am only making a guess but a unbranded computer is one with out a name on it.

Atomic77, Dec 1, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    Original OEM software,such as the one supplied by Dell, is only legally licensed for the PC it was delivered with.
    It can only be installed on the system it was shipped with.

jds63, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Old Software On New PC Question - Similar Threads - Old Software Question

2. New Computer old Microsoft Software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Computer old Microsoft Software: I must buy a new desktop computer as my old unit is 15 years old. Can I reinstall my bought Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Publisher 2007 onto my new computer? I'm not buying these programs again. Please let me know......
  3. New Computer old Microsoft Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Computer old Microsoft Software: I must buy a new desktop computer as my old unit is 15 years old. Can I reinstall my bought Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Publisher 2007 onto my new computer? I'm not buying these programs again. Please let me know......
  4. New Computer old Microsoft Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Software Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software Question: I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium on my computer and would like to install Windows 10. Is there anything I need to do before I but Windows 10 and install it so I do not have any problems in the process?I'd also like to add while I obligated to make this post to get...
  6. Software Question

Software Question: I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium on my computer and would like to install Windows 10. Is there anything I need to do before I but Windows 10 and install it so I do not have any problems in the process?I'd also like to add while I obligated to make this post to get...
  7. old to new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    old to new PC: want to transfer in Windows Live Mail folders under the Storage Folder on my old PC windows 10 to my new PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-to-new-pc/a682ac26-0a6b-4ca1-bb0d-986796e51491"
  8. A QUESTION About pc softwares

A QUESTION About pc softwares: there is this app I am looking at and it says Microsoft gold certified partner and is it a scam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-question-about-pc-softwares/93db5df6-894e-45db-8973-389155bddb74
  9. old pc to new

old pc to new: can systems imaging be used to transfer programs, files and settings from old pc to new https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-pc-to-new/8f3cf01f-b06b-4f88-90a7-2b2e6d7b9cd6
  10. Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive: Hello, I tried to read up on this topic but there is quite a bit of contradicting information, so I thought I'd better ask myself. So excuse me, I bet there have been threads like mine before but for every answer I read, there was another one stating the opposite. The...