Windows 10: Old specifications slowing down internet!

Discus and support Old specifications slowing down internet! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 64bit with all updates, also on BT Infinity fibre broadband between 60-85Mbs, but my computer is 8 years old, the processor is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by peter4076, Dec 28, 2016.

1. peter4076 Win User

Old specifications slowing down internet!

Running Windows 10 64bit with all updates, also on BT Infinity fibre broadband between 60-85Mbs, but my computer is 8 years old, the processor is 2.40gig AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core, 128kb Primary memory cache, 512kb secondary memory cache. Would these old specifications slow my internet down? As always your thoughts most appreciated.

:)

peter4076, Dec 28, 2016

2. Wondows 10 Internet slowing down

I installed windows 10 yesterday. My internet speed has dropped off dramatically. My other computer with windows 8.1 in the same environment the internet speeds are fine . What can I do?

EdwardGrosso_864, Dec 28, 2016
  3. Wondows 10 Internet slowing down

Hi Edward,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

• Network Troubleshooter. Either search for it in the Search or run it by following the link below.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-to-network#1TC=windows-8

• Try a different network adapter/connection type if possible.
    • Check for Windows Updates
    • Check for drivers for the network adapter
    • Open a CMD window as Administrator:
      • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
      • sfc /scannow
      • set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
      • start devmgmt.msc
    For reference:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

• This last command should open Device Manager in a way that will enable us to

see previously-connected devices.

• View, Show Hidden Devices

• Check the Network adapters category for grayed-out network devices.

• For any that relate to a physical network adapter, right-click and

Uninstall.

• Also look to see if you have any third-party VPN components in this list. If

you do, try uninstalling that software from Programs and Features.

• Restart at this point and test for resolution.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 28, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

The speed is mostly set by the network card which as long as it's 100 meg will be faster than your internet speed as long as your not gaming it should be fine

Samuria, Dec 28, 2016
  5. peter4076 Win User
    Cheers Samuria: NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet, that's what's fitted to my desktop computer. The reason I set the question is that I have a mobile phone quad core processor + latest chipset, and internet runs like lightning, but this computer is rather sluggish considering I am on a fairly good broadband speed. I don't game, just general use, but frequent use.

peter4076, Dec 28, 2016
  6. Neemobeer Win User
    Neemobeer, Dec 28, 2016
  7. peter4076 Win User
    Thanks for the input, how can I check if I am running legacy wireless protocols! I don't know this aspect of computering technology, but every little bit helps. Signing off now bedtime in UK...Cheers to all.

peter4076, Dec 29, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If the OP is running gigabit wired Ethernet, how would WiFi settings affect that?

@peter4076,

Right click on the network icon next to the clock in the taskbar, select Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the blue Ethernet link next to Connections: . What speed do you get in the results?

Old specifications slowing down internet! [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Dec 29, 2016
  9. Neemobeer Win User
    The external connection is gigabit. OP doesn't mention how they are connecting to their router

Neemobeer, Dec 29, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, considering the OP posted:

One would assume that is what is connecting the desktop computer to the router.

NavyLCDR, Dec 29, 2016
  11. Neemobeer Win User
    Ok, I didn't read that reply.

Neemobeer, Dec 29, 2016
  12. peter4076 Win User
    NavyLCDR: Speed is 1.0Gbps, I have another desktop wired off the same router, goes like lightning, also 2 laptops...perfect, also connected to smart tv, Netflix 4K perfect, it's just my personnel old desktop (a friend really), these other devices are not on at the same time.

peter4076, Dec 29, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I would say it is just the old hardware, not necessarily affecting the speed of the flow of data coming in from the network, but affecting the processing of it.

NavyLCDR, Dec 29, 2016
  14. peter4076 Win User
    Prone to agree, going to treat myself to a complete new build with some future proofing if possible.
    Thanks everyone for their input...most appreciated.

peter4076, Dec 29, 2016
  15. Which Athlon are you using? Are you using an nForce chipset? That's ancient but it shouldn't hurt the connection speed unless the system is already cluttered by too many programs installed or running in the background.

RoasterMen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Old specifications slowing down internet! - Similar Threads - Old specifications slowing

2. Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device: Hi there,I open this thread because something strange happens to one of my Windows device.Indeed, on my Windows 10 64 bits machine equiped by an Intel AX210 Wi-Fi card, my bandwidth is around 5-10 mbps when my phone and my laptop are respectively 100 mbps and 250 mbps in the...
  3. Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device: Hi there,I open this thread because something strange happens to one of my Windows device.Indeed, on my Windows 10 64 bits machine equiped by an Intel AX210 Wi-Fi card, my bandwidth is around 5-10 mbps when my phone and my laptop are respectively 100 mbps and 250 mbps in the...
  4. Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet periodically slowing down.

Internet periodically slowing down.: Hello there,this is my first time posting, as I am at my wits end, the issue is obscure, but I'll try to describe it in as much details as possible.I'm running Windows 10 Pro.A few days ago my internet started periodically becoming unresponsive.Symptoms:Trying to...
  6. Internet slows down

Internet slows down: This started happening about 2 weeks ago, I would get on my hp slim desktop and whenever we would use it the whole internet in my home would go really slow.I’ve reset my computer completely and unplugged the Ethernet cord to try and use the wifi but it still did the same...
  7. Slowed down internet

Slowed down internet: I have a problem related to internet and network settings in Windows 10. The problem what I am currently experiencing is that the internet speed is slowed down significantly to 3% of the contracted speed. Normally I get 100Mbps from speedtest, but everytime I experiencing...
  8. internet speed slows down

internet speed slows down: I have an old Dell XPS system running Windows 10pro Using a Broadcom gigabit ethernet card. I am hard wired directly to the WOW modem and do get speeds of up to 550mbps. But after a while, anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, it starts to slow down to under 100. Every time...
  9. Slow Internet on one specific computer

Slow Internet on one specific computer: I have recently noticed wireless network problems with one of my computer; I'm getting something like 4-6 Mbps of download speed according to Speedtest.net, when I should be getting at least 5x that. I have two other computers connected to the network, and they both get 30-40...
  10. Internet slows down on downloads.

Internet slows down on downloads.: When I download stuff my download speed starts off at 2.4 megabites/s and then goes down right away to like 500 kb/s. Is this normal to happen and if not how do I fix it? 85296