Windows 10: Old unknown credentials blocking networking

Discus and support Old unknown credentials blocking networking in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Years ago a computer technician set up our computers on a network. We have a few new computers and want to add them to the network. Apparently one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dutch, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Dutch Win User

Old unknown credentials blocking networking

Years ago a computer technician set up our computers on a network. We have a few new computers and want to add them to the network. Apparently one of the older computers is the main one in the network and is protected by credentials that we were never given by the tech. Is there a way to bypass or overwrite the credentials on the older "main" computer? All computers now have Win 10 installed.

We would like to network all the computers without any need for credentials.

Thanks.

:)

Dutch, Jun 15, 2017
  2. Rob0Eaton Win User

Wifi network security, Unkown network?

This does not answer the original question.

"Connected to internet/Connected to unknown network. What could this unknown network be? Should I be concerned?"

Rob0Eaton, Jun 15, 2017
  3. Unknown credentials in Credential + web manager

Hi world. I am using Windows 10. I started getting messages regarding updating my most recent credentials etc.

In user accounts i found 14 other credentials there and web/credentials in user accounts of which two only were my account log ins.

I have removed many times, some persist coming back. but there are user names and passwords for some of them which i did not create. I don't use skype as far as i know it's even removed from my system, but it still comes back with a user name and password.

So, my question is, how and why? I am worried regarding this. I get no information regarding the users or where/what they are on, i don't really didn't get any info searching this problem.

And lastly why does it state therein 'Roaming' when roaming is turned off?!

Help!

Ross.

chochopanda, Jun 15, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Eagle51, Jun 15, 2017
  5. Dutch Win User
    Did this. The password is hidden (a row of dots). There's an option to Edit. If I select Edit, will I be able to edit the password?

Thanks.

Dutch, Jun 15, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Yes, that is where you edit the password.

Eagle51, Jun 15, 2017
  7. Dutch Win User
    Is it possible to edit the password without knowing what it is? We don't want to delete it if that will lock us out of the network.

Also, would it be possible to set up a new network from the new computer? Currently computers A & B are networked. Would it be possible to network computers B & C (C being the new one), while leaving the other network between A & B intact?

Thanks.

Dutch, Jul 8, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

You need to know the current password for the computer\account your editing.

Yes, you can network as many computers as you'd like. Just turn on Network Discovery on C and share the folder(s) you want. The shared folder(s) will then be accessible to the computers on the network, based on share permissions you set the folders(s).

Eagle51, Jul 8, 2017
  9. Dutch Win User
    Would that be via Homegroup | Create a Homegroup, or somewhere else?

Dutch, Jul 9, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    Just use workgroup homegroup is a pain as its needs ipv6 and its a mess at the best of times

Samuria, Jul 9, 2017
  11. Dutch Win User
    Good to know. How/where do I go to create a workgroup? Thanks.

Dutch, Jul 9, 2017
  12. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Jul 9, 2017
  13. Dutch Win User

This worked with two of the computers, but the third one can't join the HomeGroup. We tried here:
    ControlPanel > Network & Internet > HomeGroup

We gave permission to share files and printers.

This appears when trying to join: "This computer can't connect to a HomeGroup."

Any suggestions to get over this? Is it possible that any setting in WorkGroup is creating the problem? We first tried to set up a WorkGroup before realizing that isn't what we need.

Thanks.

Dutch, Jul 17, 2017
  14. Eagle51 Win User
    Have you tried the HomeGroup Troubleshooter ?

Eagle51, Jul 17, 2017
  15. Dutch Win User
    Yes. It doesn't find anything (recommends to troubleshoot the network, when we do this, nothing is found).

Dutch, Jul 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Old unknown credentials blocking networking - Similar Threads - Old unknown credentials

2. unknown Windows Credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unknown Windows Credentials: Windows Web Credentials are showing up that are unexplained, contain urls that are technically not URLs but strings of data keys or hashed pashwords associated with themDoes the account refer to any services, or can I safely delete it?...
  3. unknown Windows Credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unknown Windows Credentials: Windows Web Credentials are showing up that are unexplained, contain urls that are technically not URLs but strings of data keys or hashed pashwords associated with themDoes the account refer to any services, or can I safely delete it?...
  4. unknown Windows Credentials

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Can't map network drive without credentials but credentials are unknown on home private netork

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't map network drive without credentials but credentials are unknown on home private netork: Hello, I recently set up a second computer in my home,which I will refer to as computer B, and connected it to my network via an ethernet cable; i created a local account that is currently not connected to my microsoft account, . My other computer, Computer A, which is...
  6. Can't map network drive without credentials but credentials are unknown on home private netork

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't map network drive without credentials but credentials are unknown on home private netork: Hello, I recently set up a second computer in my home,which I will refer to as computer B, and connected it to my network via an ethernet cable; i created a local account that is currently not connected to my microsoft account, . My other computer, Computer A, which is...
  7. Can't map network drive without credentials but credentials are unknown on home private netork

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Network Credentials?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Credentials?: After the last update, I can no longer connect my computers. It asks for "network credentials". Where do these come from? Who set them. And why? I searched all over the internet, and there are any of "solutions," none of which seem to work, including removing all password...
  9. network credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network credentials: What are network credentials? Every time I try to look thru the network to see my other computers files I get a box asking for user and password. I have no idea how to fill this in. Can you help me or send me someplace where I can find out about networking?...
  10. Unknown passwords in the Credential Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown passwords in the Credential Manager: There are two unknown passwords in my Credential Manager. !. Windowsi laiendatud mandaat (Windows mandate expanded and 2. virtualapp/didlogical...