Windows 10: Old unused Technet Keys You MUST activate product first before upgrade

Discus and support Old unused Technet Keys You MUST activate product first before upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there (@Mods -- wrong Section - please move to Windows activation) If you have a load of old unused TechNet keys then doing a Clean install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Jul 30, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Old unused Technet Keys You MUST activate product first before upgrade

Hi there

(@Mods -- wrong Section - please move to Windows activation)

If you have a load of old unused TechNet keys then doing a Clean install and entering any of these keys WON'T WORK.

You need unfortunately to install the product (W7/W8/W8.1), activate (those keys work) then DO THE UPGRADE and finally THEN do a clean install.

A bit of a bugbear -- howver tested this with a VM -- have a load of unused TechNet keys so it took a few "Goes" to get it to work.

Note - If you install W7/W8/W8.1 you need to ensure you get the latest updates (of THOSE OS'S) before attempting the update (to W10) process.

I think the Ms servers record the activation of those keys - If they haven't been used then the servers won't activate them on W10. Once activated then the keys are registered on the servers and W10 clean install works.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 30, 2015
  2. aakkam22 Win User

License Carried Over from Windows OEM to Windows Upgrade Retail

You would need to install the previous version of Windows on both systems, then upgrade again to Windows 10. Unfortunately, this is because the product key
    must have been registered to the hardware before the upgrade.

Background Information:

It's true that you can now use a Windows 7 or 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10. However, you must have had that old product key registered to the hardware before. Since you performed a major hardware upgrade
    after upgrading to Windows 10, you must re-register the old Windows product key to your new hardware.

aakkam22, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Windows 7 key not valid for Windows 10 upgrade

Did you ensure Windows 7 was first activated before attempting to use the free upgrade? You must do that first, then you will not be prompted to enter a product key.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

If you are using the downloaded media ISO, you do not need to apply any updates before upgrading. You only have to apply updates if you want to use Windows Update to upgrade.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Superfly Win User
    Yup, Windows 10 has no Win 8 key backward compatibility. A pity, as I was hoping to use the spares or at least get Win 10 ones in return.

Superfly, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Windowz10 Win User
    Probably good to put in both sections- people are more likely to see this section before the other.

Correct on doing any kind of clean install first with any kind of key. The free upgrade path is just that an upgrade. As such they require you to already have an OS properly installed an activated before starting the free upgrade path.

How much of the "original" OS needs to be current is a subject of some debate. There are reports of people upgrading from free from Windows 8.0- after doing a base reinstall of that OS then proceeding down the upgrade path.

To word activation more accurately, the free upgrade path for Windows 10 will only re-tag your existing database entry for your activation key to the new OS from the original one. It will not create new entries.

Windowz10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Old unused Technet Keys You MUST activate product first before upgrade - Similar Threads - Old unused Technet

2. Unused Windows 11 product key activated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unused Windows 11 product key activated?: Hi. I recently had a customer who had purchased a win11 product key from a local retailer for use on her laptop. My windows 11 installer confirmed my suspicion that her machine was not compatible so I installed win10 and this was automatically activated by the laptops inbuilt...
  3. Unused Windows 11 product key activated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unused Windows 11 product key activated?: Hi. I recently had a customer who had purchased a win11 product key from a local retailer for use on her laptop. My windows 11 installer confirmed my suspicion that her machine was not compatible so I installed win10 and this was automatically activated by the laptops inbuilt...
  4. Forgot to deactivate old computer's product key before transferring the product key to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Forgot to deactivate old computer's product key before transferring the product key to...: Actually I changed my laptop and forgot to deactivate old computer's product key before transferring the product key to my new computer. However, immediate after installing on new device I deactivated it from the old device. at the moment no product ID is activated on my...
  5. You must use a valid product key to activate Windows – 0x800704cF

in Windows 10 News
    You must use a valid product key to activate Windows – 0x800704cF: [ATTACH] Windows Activation system keeps checking for validity of your key from time to time. Assuming you have a genuine key and all of a sudden you have received Windows Activation Error 0x800704cF, then this error means we didn’t find a valid [...] This post You must use...
  6. Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key

Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key: Hi there I notice when looking at the key after installing the W10 upgrade from an old TechNet W8.1 system there are TWO keys OEM Key (which is the old TechNet key) and Installed key which is the W10 generic key. If you do a clean install don't enter any key again or...
  7. technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question

technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question: I used to subscribe to Technet before Microsoft discontinued the program. I have a legal, retail, Windows 7 Premium package that was an upgrade to Vista. I just used one of my Technet Windows 7 Ultimate keys that I had saved from my Technet subscription to upgrade...
  8. Old Technet ISOs - Keys becoming not valid ?????

Old Technet ISOs - Keys becoming not valid ?????: Hi there I tried re-installing Windows 8.1 Enterprise that I downloaded from TechNet during my subscription --it's the VL multiple activation one. The Keys don't activate it any more -- I've only activated it about 3 times and it IS a VL one with Multiple activations...
  9. Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys: Hi folks If anybody was a member of the old TechNet system and have keys from those days -- W7 / W8 /W8.1 keys are still valid to be used for W10 installs. If you haven't got your keys or lost them you can still logon (use your Microsoft ID) and get your keys -- export...
  10. Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys): Hi there I created some Windows images on different machines this morning (30 Jul 10:56 local time) -- still activating W10 --using old keys from my Technet subcription. If you've got some keys left and some machines grab the Free upgrade while it's still working...