Windows 10: Old VB6 App

Discus and support Old VB6 App in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for these small problems I and a few others are having with an old VB6 application which is not working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by IanB, Aug 5, 2017.

1. IanB Win User

Old VB6 App

Hi,
    I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for these small problems I and a few others are having with an old VB6 application which is not working properly under Win10. The vast majority of this program is working fine, just 2 (so far!) small functions are not working.
    1. The program reacts to function keys and carries out custom actions. On a laptop which assigns actions to the same keys they are not being reported to the program properly, For example F2 & F3 continue to adjust the laptop volume rather than being reported to the software. I'm unsure if this is a Windows 10 problem or one with the laptop but I'd like to find a way to stop it happening. I do suspect it's the laptop as it doesn't happen on a desktop which doesn't have these keys assigned but I don't know why this happens or how to stop it.
    2. Slightly odder. The program reacts to mouse-wheel moves, it uses them to scroll a grid on its' screen. Under Windows 8 and earlier this works perfectly but under Win10 the first move is fine (so the program gets the first wheel move and scrolls the grid one row) but after that nothing, if I click onto a different row the program again will scroll once with the mouse-wheel then nothing. This is just weird(!) and I have no idea at all what could cause it.
    This last problem does not happen on computers running earlier versions of Windows. I have tried running the program in Win7 and WinXP compatibility mode, and Admin mode, but these make no improvement.
    Any and all suggestions would be very gratefully received.
    Many thanks
    Ian

:)

IanB, Aug 5, 2017
  2. mbat1000 Win User

Query about compatbility of Visual Basic 6 with Windows 10

This is my main doubt about upgrading to Win10. Althoigh I have worked with VB2012, I feel more comfortable with VB6 as a RAD tool. I'm currently working on a project that works on WinXp, Win7, Win8 but is a pain in the **** to have to run XP with VB6 in
    an emulated environment all the time. I wish Microsoft to get seriously the comments/critisism of VB6 developments and make his miracle to support VB6 devlopment in Win10. I own a favour to Bill gates as he gave the opportunity to develop Win apps

in an easy way, back to 1998. Me and other self-taught VB6 developers feel to express our gratitudes for that, and expect some in Microsoft still to share his vision... On the other hand, supporting VB6 in Win10 will make easier for Microsoft to hit the
    tablets market which currently is dominanted from Android machines.

Some user's comments

"I just installed Windows 10 Technical Preview today (01-OCt-2014) on VmWare Desktop. Vb6 + SP6 installed easier than Win7/Win8 with no tricks necessary other than 'Run As Administrator'. Initial testing shows
    that Vb6 runs OK without any problems."

"Just installed our rather complex vb6 application on it and it worked just fine."

"Well boys and girls my VB6 Activex EXE thing works in the first Windows 10 Tech Preview. So we do have yet another stay of execution. Smart Microsoft, Smart."

"Actually, to refer to an earlier comment, running a VB6 Win10 is superior to running on XP as it manages memory much better, particularly in graphics apps, where my VB6 code will let me handle 220 megapixels
    32 bits graphics files on an old AMD CPU and 2gig ram. This is way beyond what I could do at the time I was still running XP"

mbat1000, Aug 5, 2017
  3. Jo Assink Win User
    Visual Basic 6

Is there any way to use old VB6 *.HLP-files for Windows10 users ? MSDN works OK, but the old Help-files were short and easy to find the subject required. I still got the files, but no way to use them.

Jo Assink, Aug 5, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Old VB6 App

Look in bios settings for option to invert function keys.

cereberus, Aug 5, 2017
  5. IanB Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, you were correct, the laptop was incorrectly setup to always action the F keys.

As far as the Mousewheel problem is concerned, this is because Microsoft in their stupidity have changed the MW_Mousewheel message in Windows 10 so that it now goes to the Window with focus rather than the one under the mouse pointer. Exactly why they felt this change necessary I don't know, it has something to do with the original purpose of the mousewheel being to zoom rather than scroll, but it's a real pita *Mad

IanB, Aug 7, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Did you try playing with this setting? It is new in 10 and affects scrolling the window the mouse is over rather than the one in focus...

Old VB6 App [​IMG]

As to why they changed it I don't know but I prefer it personally - Windows acts like all other OS now...

lx07, Aug 7, 2017
  7. IanB Win User
    Interesting. My mouse setting that you showed was set to On, I changed it to Off and it seems to revert it to pre-10 ways which works fine. Thank-you!

IanB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Old VB6 App

1. Old VB6 App - Similar Threads - Old VB6 App

2. VB6 isntallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  3. VB6 isntallation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  4. Will VB6 run in Lunix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will VB6 run in Lunix: VB 6 wont install on W11, Will VB6 run in Lunix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-vb6-run-in-lunix/82975e36-5daf-4539-9234-88ed8b4215bd
  5. Will VB6 run in Lunix

Will VB6 run in Lunix: VB 6 wont install on W11, Will VB6 run in Lunix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-vb6-run-in-lunix/82975e36-5daf-4539-9234-88ed8b4215bd
  6. VB6 manifest for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VB6 manifest for Windows 11: I'm testing my legacy VB6 app in Windows 11 and so far almost everything is perfect. However, I do have a display issue with some of the Common Controls listboxes, checkboxes, etc that's causing some visual problems. I'm suspecting that the manifest that I created to use .NET...
  7. VB6 manifest for Windows 11

VB6 manifest for Windows 11: I'm testing my legacy VB6 app in Windows 11 and so far almost everything is perfect. However, I do have a display issue with some of the Common Controls listboxes, checkboxes, etc that's causing some visual problems. I'm suspecting that the manifest that I created to use .NET...
  8. VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10: I have an ST Microcontroller and have it loaded with ST CDC firmware. This firmware and the supplied ST driver Actually usbser.sys Windows driver causes the PC to act as a com port. I have a PC with Windows 7, Running a VB6 built executable. This works with my ST...
  9. VB6 Outlook GetObject

in Windows 10 Customization
    VB6 Outlook GetObject: HI, Have two VB6 projects. In Project - References I have no reference to OutLook. The one project works 100% with GetObject(, "Outlook.Application") and if Outlook is not running I issue CreateObject("Outlook.Application). Both scenarios works. In the other project I get...
  10. VB6 on Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    VB6 on Win10: Hello All, I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down. This EXE works well on Win7 and Win8. But, when we use this EXE (developed in VB6) on Win10 OS, then dropdown containing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix old vb6 application