Windows 10: Old Windows Defender on my Laptop

Discus and support Old Windows Defender on my Laptop in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I noticed by random, that I am still stuck on version 4.12.16299.15 of Antimalware-Clientversion of Windows Defender on my Laptop. My tablets and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gorgor, Jan 5, 2018.

1. gorgor Win User

Old Windows Defender on my Laptop

I noticed by random, that I am still stuck on version 4.12.16299.15 of Antimalware-Clientversion of Windows Defender on my Laptop. My tablets and Desktop all are on 4.12.17007.17123. How does this come? Triggering a Windows Update doesnt find any updates, nor does a C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate. Is this normal?

:)

gorgor, Jan 5, 2018

2. Wrong version of Defender on Windows 10

Although my laptop is running windows 10, it seems to be running the old Defender. It is completely different from my desktop. How can I get the correct/latest version of Defender on my laptop? I though it was supposed to install automatically with
    Windows 10.

flautspieler, Jan 5, 2018
  3. HammaID Win User
    Windows 10 and MSE

I recently purchased new laptop with Windows 10. On old laptop I used Microsoft Security Essentials. My new Windows says my new laptop has Windows Defender installed. Is this the same as the free security MSE afforded me or do I need additional antivirus
    installed?

HammaID, Jan 5, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

I have the same 'engine' on my fully-up-to-date ASUS Notebook with OS Version 1709 Build 16299.192. The engine is the program but it needs to be kept up-to-date with the definitions which may happen more often than getting build updates, especially if the computer is left on. Apparently the engine itself hasn't yet needed to be updated or replaced. The next Version release may or may not have such a change.
    Windows Key + R, type winver.

Berton, Jan 5, 2018
  5. gorgor Win User
    gorgor, Jan 5, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    There are two parts to Defender, the visible bit is the 'Windows Defender Security Centre' and that is the part called the 'antimalware client'. The critical bit is the part you don't see - the scan engine. This is the 'Engine version' (your 'moduleversion'). Both were updated early in December, but it appears that the antimalware client update was withdrawn some weeks later (apparently a path change cause some users problems). This is not a critical security risk, it's just the visible interface to control Defender's settings.

The critical security patch was in the scan engine, and all your PCs are up to date and show the same Engine Version: 1.1.14405.2 so you have nothing to worry about.
    Microsoft has just released an emergency security patch

Bree, Jan 5, 2018
  7. gorgor Win User
    What does that mean? That all my PCs but my laptop are at risk because I have a broken version on them? Why werent they patched back?

gorgor, Jan 5, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

No, it means that all your PCs are fully protected by the latest version of the scan engine, version 1.1.14405.2

The client is just the interface that you use to control it, there is no security risk in having a slightly older antimalware client.

Bree, Jan 5, 2018
  9. gorgor Win User
    that still doesnt answer my question. why do they differ.

gorgor, Jan 5, 2018
  10. is your tablet and Desktop on Windows Insider Preview? as that engine/client is upgrade higher than the Retail Client, but you should still be protected perfectly fine.. I could be wrong on that theory just started using Windows Defender again today

AMDMan2016, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Old Windows Defender on my Laptop - Similar Threads - Old Defender Laptop

2. Are my Windows Defender Un normal On Laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are my Windows Defender Un normal On Laptop?: Every I restart or turn on my window on laptop I always have notifications Windows defender “windows defender periodic turn on and you using another antivirus” and after that I open my Windows security it’s take long loading when getting protection info after finish i check...
  3. Will my old laptop be ok with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will my old laptop be ok with Windows 10: I have an old Toshiba Saltellite C660 laptop which we bought some time ago with Windows 7 sp1. Will it take and upgrade to Windows 10 or will it be a disaster if I try and install it? I am not techy but I think it meets the requirements - but will it be intolerable to...
  4. Will my old laptop be ok with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will my old laptop be ok with Windows 10: I have an old Toshiba Saltellite C660 laptop which we bought some time ago with Windows 7 sp1. Will it take and upgrade to Windows 10 or will it be a disaster if I try and install it? I am not techy but I think it meets the requirements - but will it be intolerable to...
  5. Will my old laptop be ok with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. my laptop islocked up by windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop islocked up by windows defender: my laptop is showing security warning by windows defender this is second time says to calll microsoft contact 877-203-5120 tried before and this is not a microsft #...
  7. my laptop islocked up by windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my laptop islocked up by windows defender: my laptop is showing security warning by windows defender this is second time says to calll microsoft contact 877-203-5120 tried before and this is not a microsft #...
  8. Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop: I had a problem with my PC where I couldn’t install windows onto any of my hard drives because they didn’t match the format of my USB boot drive. So I did a clean install of windows on my laptop SSD, with WiFi disables so it wouldn’t download any laptop drivers, then I...
  9. Windows Activation on my old laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation on my old laptop: Hello! So here's my problem. In 2017, my mom bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Installed. After a year, that new laptop was broken due to spilled water. So I bought myself an SSD enclosure and saved the files, in which, it has Windows 10 Installed. April 5, 2020, I have...
  10. laptop window defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    laptop window defender: why I cant updatemy windor defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/laptop-window-defender/49c1ed9b-b157-4666-b466-19424323af83