Windows 10: On a new install User logs in, but can't save settings or user folder

Discus and support On a new install User logs in, but can't save settings or user folder in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just did a fresh install (of Windows 10) on my wife's new (used) laptop. Everything went well and the username and password were her logon's from her... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by okrobie, Jan 2, 2017.

1. okrobie Win User

On a new install User logs in, but can't save settings or user folder

I just did a fresh install (of Windows 10) on my wife's new (used) laptop. Everything went well and the username and password were her logon's from her previous computer. She logs on successfully, but a message pops up from the system tray that tells her that she was logged on as a temp and her settings won't be saved when she logs off. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Jim

:)

okrobie, Jan 2, 2017

2. UNABLE TO SAVE **ANY** FILE IN WINDOWS 10

So, you created a new user, logged in as that user, and could not save a new text document to that user's Documents folder?

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Jan 2, 2017
  3. UNABLE TO SAVE **ANY** FILE IN WINDOWS 10

Hi Keith,

Thanks in advance for the assist.

I just completed the creation of a new test user. I logged-in using the new user and tried to save .docx, .txt and .jpg files into the new users 'Documents' folder. I was able to save the files as expected.

I then logged out of the test user and logged-in using my standard login, which is an admin. I tried to save a MS-Word file and again was unable to save a file and was put into the circle of 'Unable to save to Documents Folder' as before.

SO... currently unable to save any files under my orig. user when I upgraded to Win10.

TIA...

KrisBlackmarr, Jan 2, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

There's a Tutorial on that problem, see if it helps...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...ofile-fix.html

Bree, Jan 2, 2017
  5. mrgeek Win User
    Since she was able to sign in with her prev user name and pass, most likely, the profile was corrupted during the install process. My caution to you is NOT do ANY work on the Temp sign in and if you do, move the files to a usb stick because, as the popup window cautioned, all work will be lost when logged off. Most likely, you can skip to Step 9 in the linked tutorial and try that simple step first before the more complicated prior steps. Good Luck and post back with your results.

mrgeek, Jan 2, 2017
  6. okrobie Win User
    Bree, I followed the instructions perfectly and it worked, but I did one final reboot and the problem came back. I'm going to do it again this morning. I think I messed around too much after I was done. I wanted to tidy things up a bit so I deleted all of the temp folders and...

Mrgeek, thanks. She really needed the computer because she was working on a resume' so we had to be real careful.

okrobie, Jan 2, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "I wanted to tidy things up a bit so I deleted all of the temp folders and..."

If the initial fix worked and you want to clean up the Temp profile, try this; Win+X/Command Prompt (Admin) Type (observe spaces) -
    wmic useraccount get name then- enter

This will give you list of users. To delete unwanted ones, then type (observe spaces) -

net user (username) /delete then- enter

caution: do not delete ANY Default users ! Win10 uses these to create new profiles for future users

mrgeek, Jan 2, 2017
  8. okrobie Win User

All is well. I redid the user and left the "junk" folders alone and it's working fine. Thanks for all the help. Regards, Jim

okrobie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. On a new install User logs in, but can't save settings or user folder - Similar Threads - install User logs

2. New user but no user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New user but no user folder: I added a new admin user to windows 10 then removed a user. The new user does not have a user folder and the user that was removed is still there. Do I need to remake the user?...
  3. Two Users' Folders On new Install

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two Users' Folders On new Install: So I just installed Windows 10 on a brand new NUC. Installation went flawlessly and the machine runs great. After the installation I noticed that the computer name was my email address. I didn't like that name so I changed the name of the computer but now I have 2 users...
  4. Can't access other users, new users don't get a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't access other users, new users don't get a folder: So in my "Other Users" settings, there's three other accounts. None of them have a folder in C:\Users, and I have no option to switch users, through start or the log-in screen. The Users folder has four subfolders; my account, Public, Default (hidden), and my partner's. The...
  5. Can't access other users, new users don't get a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't access other users, new users don't get a folder: So in my "Other Users" settings, there's three other accounts. None of them have a folder in C:\Users, and I have no option to switch users, through start or the log-in screen. The Users folder has four subfolders; my account, Public, Default (hidden), and my partner's. The...
  6. log in with new user, not able to log in

log in with new user, not able to log in: I made a new user account and they are not able to log in. the outlook account is valid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/log-in-with-new-user-not-able-to-log-in/5f311638-1c9b-47b4-a35b-844dd09f3dda"
  7. Setting the user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting the user folder: I just got a new computer. I transferred files from my previous Windows 10 unit into the Users/MyName folder. The files that show up on the Desktop are in the Users/Public/Public_Desktop folder. How can I get windows to look in the Users/MyName folder for user files? Of...
  8. Logging in as new User in domain

Logging in as new User in domain: My fully updated Win10 machine logs into my domain as "Other User" and just spins - after a restart. I've also tried to log in as an Administrator and the same thing happens. If I shut down it will let me log in normal. My pdc is a Windows Server 2012 R2 with no dns issues -...
  9. New user logged off at log-on

New user logged off at log-on: I have upgraded my Vaio laptop to Win 10 Home, and with my single admin user have created a new non-admin local user (not with a Microsoft account). When logging in with this local user the log-on screen immediately says "Signing out" and that's it. Nothing. I've been...
  10. can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user"

can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user": when I create a new user account I can't log into it error: profSvc service failed I saw posts about changing something in C;/Users/Default User But I don't seem to have such a folder. I defined view settings to show hidden files and also system files, but I don't see...