Windows 10: On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines

Discus and support On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've gone into the little gear icon on the on-screen keyboard, and I've downloaded language packs to avail. The matter is, the on-screen keyboard is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bradleypariah, Oct 23, 2017.

1. On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines

I've gone into the little gear icon on the on-screen keyboard, and I've downloaded language packs to avail. The matter is, the on-screen keyboard is different on all my machines. Also, opening the keyboard directly from Control Panel yields a different on-screen keyboard than if I open the keyboard from the button by the clock. Hopefully these screenshots from three different machines will sufficiently explain my dilemma. I want all three machines to have the keyboard of the first screenshot (Control Panel keyboard), but I still want the first keyboard to still have the button to switch to the handwriting layout, and back again. The second keyboard has the button to switch layouts, but the keyboard has fewer buttons. The third keyboard has even fewer buttons than the second, and it doesn't have the ability to expand to the full keyboard because the button is grayed-out. All the pictured machines are on 1703.

On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines [​IMG]

:)

bradleypariah, Oct 23, 2017

2. Get-AzureLocation inconsistent between two machines

I have what I hope are two nearly identical Windows 10 64-bit machines, both with Azure PowerShell 2.0.1 installed on them.

Why does the following command work correctly on one machine but not the other?

Get-AzureLocation

On the first machine, a list of available Azure locations comes back.

On the second machine, the following error comes back for that identical command:

No default subscription has been designated. Use Select-AzureSubscription -Default <subscriptionName> to set the default subscription. (raised by Get-AzureLocation).

I have checked the $psModulePath on both machines. On both machines, the following returns identical output:

Get-Module -All | Where-Object -Property Name -like 'Azure*'

What else can I check on the machine that does not work to fix the error?

Both machines should be identical in terms of Visual Studio 2015 editions, PowerShell edition (5.0) and Azure PowerShell cmdlets, so I am out of ideas on what might be causing this issue.

Fred Morrison, Oct 23, 2017
  3. Get-AzureLocation inconsistent between two machines

Hi,

I suggest you to post your query n MSDN for specialized assistance with the issue by following the below link:

Msdn forums

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Oct 23, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines

@bradleypariah

The 'On-Screen Keyboard' and the Touch keyboard are two different features;
    the 3rd screenshot looks like an older version of Windows Touch keyboard.

Edwin, Oct 24, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    The control panel keyboard is the original Windows ON Screen Keyboard.

This is totally separate from the new TOUCH Screen Keyboard.

The reason that keyboard symbol is greyed out is because you have not activated the "Standard Keyboard" in settings, devices, typing.

To make life more confusing, Edwin's lower screen dump is from the NEW style keyboards in new 1709 upgrade. And a real pisser is that the standard layout that Edwin shows is only available in a few languages.

Very annoyingly, it is not in En-GB version, only EN-US (and EN-AU). This is not so bad for En-GB users as changes are only minor if you invoke En-US keyboard. However for Scandinavian Languages (for example, and many others), lack of the standard keyboard is a real PITA! MS have really failed badly here.

cereberus, Oct 24, 2017
  6. Thanks for the responses!

*Confused*Confused*Confused That is absolutely asinine, in my opinion.

That's great! Thank you! I'm disappointed that I can't access the On-Screen Keyboard layout from the Touch Keyboard button by the clock, but since this is as good as it's going to get, I consider this solved.

Thanks again!

bradleypariah, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines

1. On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines - Similar Threads - screen keyboard inconsistent

2. Difference in patches applied listing between to machines for KB5025230

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference in patches applied listing between to machines for KB5025230: Hi!There is a difference in how patches applied are listing for KB5025230. On one machine it lists as two patches, Cumulative Update and Security Update and on the other machine it only lists as a Security Update. This is unsatisfactory! How is it supposed to be?This is on...
  3. Difference in patches applied listing between to machines for KB5025230

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference in patches applied listing between to machines for KB5025230: Hi!There is a difference in how patches applied are listing for KB5025230. On one machine it lists as two patches, Cumulative Update and Security Update and on the other machine it only lists as a Security Update. This is unsatisfactory! How is it supposed to be?This is on...
  4. Bluetooth inconsistencies between different accounts and start instances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth inconsistencies between different accounts and start instances: HiI have a problem with Bluetooth exhibiting different behaviours between admin and user account and behaving differently after restart and after waking from sleep. 1 After reboot I am able to turn on BT in both admin and user accounts and connect devices2 After wake from...
  5. Bluetooth inconsistencies between different accounts and start instances

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth inconsistencies between different accounts and start instances: HiI have a problem with Bluetooth exhibiting different behaviours between admin and user account and behaving differently after restart and after waking from sleep. 1 After reboot I am able to turn on BT in both admin and user accounts and connect devices2 After wake from...
  6. Bluetooth inconsistencies between different accounts and start instances

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Unwanted keyboard layout sharing between machines

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unwanted keyboard layout sharing between machines: Hi, I have two computers. A workstation with a belgian keyboard layout and a laptop with a German keyboad layout. I only use local accounts on these machines but I do log into my microsoft account for office onedrive etc. Since the last update, suddenly my workstation has...
  8. Different keyboards on different machines, how to avoid having to change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different keyboards on different machines, how to avoid having to change: I have a laptop with a UK keyboard and a desktop with a Pro Tools keyboard with a US layout, whenever I use one machine the other reverts to that keyboard layout and vice versa and I have to change the input method. How do I have 2 separate keyboard layouts set as defaults...
  9. Keyboard Language Inconsistencies

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Language Inconsistencies: My keyboard seems to intermittently change short cut functions - particularly: ONE @ and " This issue can occur in one "word@ issue - either way. I have previously had someone change the language and then just recently it switched back to an intermittent fault. TWO...
  10. Inconsistent results between machines with Microsoft Print to PDF

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Inconsistent results between machines with Microsoft Print to PDF: I have a Surface Book laptop and an HP desktop. Both are running Windows 10 and I make a lot of use of the Microsoft Print to PDF driver. I also make a lot of use with OneDrive to provide me consistent access to the latest versions of all my files wherever I am, in the...