Windows 10: On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict

Discus and support On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; It looks like it began after the update to 1511, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe it happened sometime earlier, since I don't use gpedit.msc too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AndreyT, Nov 15, 2015.

1. AndreyT Win User

On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict

It looks like it began after the update to 1511, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe it happened sometime earlier, since I don't use gpedit.msc too often. A computer with clean install of 1511 does not suffer from this problem.

Anyway, trying to run gpedit.msc now results in "Namespace 'Microsoft.Policies.Sensors.WindowsLocationProvider' is already defined as the target namespace for another file in the store" error message (reported twice).

On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict [​IMG]

After clicking OK in that message window, Policy Editor continues to work properly. Apparently we are looking at the same issue as the one described by Microsoft here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3077013

Indeed, my policy store has both LocationProviderADM.admx and Microsoft-Windows-Geolocation-WLPAdm.admx, referring to the same namespace (no .adml files though).

Files at that location are protected and not immediately deletable and renamable. What would be the proper way of deleting and renaming these files? Restarting into repair console?

:)

AndreyT, Nov 15, 2015

2. Boot issue on Windows 10 GA Build 10586 (TH2)

Hi,

I have 2 Sony Vaio laptops with W 10 Pro x64 & W 10 Home x64, ( both with clean installation of build 10240 and updated to 10586.11 via WU), they both showing the flashing boot logo after the update to build 10586, so it's not only an Asus issue.

Hopefully M$ will fix that issue asap.

I'm also seeing that issue on my W 10 PRO system with the latest build:

On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict - Windows 10 Forums

Interface_01, Nov 15, 2015
  3. J. B.M Win User
    Windows 10 Pro - Local Group Policy Editor is empty.

Some time ago I setup the option to control when Updates were downloaded and restart enabled via gpedit.msc. I now want to change that temporarily back to the default setting but all entries in gpedit.msc are empty bar the prime headings and I get a popup
    which tells me that*******

Namespace 'Microsoft.Policies.Sensors.WindowsLocationProvider' is already defined as the target namespace for another file in the store.

File

C:\WINDOWS\PolicyDefinitions\Microsoft-Windows-Geolocation-WLPAdm.admx, line 5,column 110

gpedit.msc usually opens .admx files but not now. Is this a result of multiple failed Updates to 1709 or a change introduced in a recent build such as the Creators Update that requires a new editor.

The .admx file is obviously readable in Notepad but is incomplete without the rest.

*******Why is it not possible to copy the text from information popups, it is ridiculous for them to need to be re typed instead of copy and pasted.

J. B.M, Nov 15, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

I noticed that also. I've been following the method 1 in your link so far (ignoring it)...

5. sygnus21 Win User
    Hmmm... I get the same error *Shock

sygnus21, Nov 16, 2015
  6. mfaklis Win User
    I ended up with a slew of bugs applying the Windows Update to 10586 to my existing installation. For those of you who found 10586 installed cleanly with no errors, did you do a clean install as a new installation? It's near impossible to cleanup my upgrade since even the event viewer doesn't work "Event Viewer cannot open the event log or custom view. Verify the event log service is running or query is too long. The request is not supported." I posted my woes found so far in another thread.

At some point after a lot of cursing I will need to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade. With all the problems I have, I don't trust the built-in recovery. All my user files are stored on s server. It's just that it takes me three days to reinstall all of the applications and cycle through all of the updates. I would prefer to wipe my disk and install 10586 from an ISO, but I haven't found such an ISO. I just have the original ISO from the Win 7, 8, 8.1 upgrade. I wouldn't expect taking that route and then running the windows update to 10586 will give me a different result (that is being a clean working fully functional Win 10 Pro).

mfaklis, Nov 16, 2015
  7. sygnus21 Win User
    Can't speak for your other issue but event viewer is working for me after the upgrade. And I did an in-place upgrade, not a clean install.

On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict [​IMG]

sygnus21, Nov 16, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Tech Bench

9. sygnus21 Win User
    You can also create the ISO image from the media creation tool and it will give you the TH ISO as well. It's what I used to upgrade my desktop with and had no with it. Haven't tried a clean install with it though (yet).

sygnus21, Nov 16, 2015
  10. mfaklis Win User
    Is it time for another Valium? My in-place upgrade went smoothly, but resulted with a slew of woes I've already noted.

Should I ask why it didn't work for me, or ask why it worked for you?

mfaklis, Nov 16, 2015
  11. mfaklis Win User
    I admit I've never used the media creation tool, but I'm boning up on it now. I have a WDS server which lets me do a remote install. This results in a machine which is a member of my domain and with my domain user account.

mfaklis, Nov 16, 2015
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    I'm pretty sure most here will tell you event viewer is working for them. As to why yours doesn't work and mine does, perhaps your system has more issues, I don't know. I just know mine works.

BTW, so you don't think I'm being a smart...s, I've not been able to get my laptop updated so there could be a myriad of issues with this new upgrade.

Peace

sygnus21, Nov 16, 2015
  13. AndreyT Win User

If you go to this link

Windows 10

from a Windows machine, it will let you download the Media Creation Tool, which will in turn download system image (ISO or USB) for clean install of version 1511.

If you follow the same link from a non-Windows platform (Android etc.), it will ask which language of Windows you want and then allow you to direct-download the ISO file.

AndreyT, Nov 16, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    I had no .adml files either. Based on your link in post #1 this fixed the gpedit.msc problem for me keeping correct permissions on the files.

From elevated command prompt Code: cd C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions takeown /f LocationProviderAdm.admx icacls LocationProviderAdm.admx /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict :(F) del LocationProviderAdm.admx takeown /f Microsoft-Windows-Geolocation-WLPAdm.admx icacls Microsoft-Windows-Geolocation-WLPAdm.admx /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict :(F) ren Microsoft-Windows-Geolocation-WLPAdm.admx LocationProviderAdm.admx icacls LocationProviderAdm.admx /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" icacls LocationProviderAdm.admx /remove "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"[/quote] hth

15. mfaklis Win User
    I have nothing but warm sincere feelings for everyone who makes the effort to share information and help others. Would you elaborate on your laptop problem? Does the install fail right away, or afterwards?

I would try removing all non-critical hardware or disable through the BIOS setup. I would also try alternative sources for the install media (i.e., DVD, Remote install, USB devices, etc.). If you use DVD, verify what formats your laptop's DVD drive can read.

mfaklis, Nov 16, 2015
Thema:

1. On updated to 1511 machines gpedit.msc reports namespace conflict - Similar Threads - updated 1511 machines

2. What is Windows namespace

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is Windows namespace: Hello Microsoft CommunityCan someone tell me in simple terms : What is a "namespace ".alot of the terms and examples I have been finding are confussing. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-windows-namespace/3121b060-c45e-4087-9f5e-bc04c2a9daf1
  3. Conflicting updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Conflicting updates: 2 Update with different version for same driver. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/conflicting-updates/d32f33c4-d512-4d0e-b22c-e8352bafcc38
  4. Conflicting updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Conflicting updates: 2 Update with different version for same driver. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/conflicting-updates/d32f33c4-d512-4d0e-b22c-e8352bafcc38
  5. Windows 11 conflicting reports.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 conflicting reports.: One says the system doesn't meet the requirements while another says it does.What do you do?Vijay https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-conflicting-reports/02595d1e-5c4c-4538-b475-e994b5f37df5
  6. Windows 11 conflicting reports.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 conflicting reports.: One says the system doesn't meet the requirements while another says it does.What do you do?Vijay https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-conflicting-reports/02595d1e-5c4c-4538-b475-e994b5f37df5
  7. Windows 11 conflicting reports.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows version number reporting conflict

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows version number reporting conflict: Hello. When I run winver, the WIn10 splash screen reports I am running Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1379). However, the version painted to the screen is Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202. Any idea why these two aren't the same? (BTW I have tried turning the...
  9. Correct Choice to Disable Windows Error Reporting in gpedit.

in Windows 10 Support
    Correct Choice to Disable Windows Error Reporting in gpedit.: Hello all, In gpedit, I see two locations to deal with Windows Error Reporting. Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Error Reporting: Disable Windows Error Reporting and Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates >...
  10. GPEdit: namespace already defined?

in Windows 10 Support
    GPEdit: namespace already defined?: I ran Windows Update as normal this morning, but got a message at the top saying "Some settings are managed by your organisation." I looked on the forum, and sure enough, there were others with this problem. I chose the fix that involved GPEdit, but on running this I got...
Tags: