Windows 10: On vacation - any way to install W10 on home computers after 7/29?

Discus and support On vacation - any way to install W10 on home computers after 7/29? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; didn't think about this before, but i am away from my home computers (both running 8.1) and won't be back until after 7/29. i am going to upgrade a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by teb2500, Jul 25, 2016.

1. teb2500 Win User

On vacation - any way to install W10 on home computers after 7/29?

didn't think about this before, but i am away from my home computers (both running 8.1) and won't be back until after 7/29. i am going to upgrade a desktop and laptop where i am now, but wanted to see if i would be able to upgrade the home computers when i return.

does downloading the creation tool now offer any options to do this? any assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks!

:)

teb2500, Jul 25, 2016

2. adding a networked printer

After installing W10 on 9 networked Dell laptops I changed the names of 7 of the computers.

Now when I select "add a printer" I get only the old names and cannot connect to the attached printers.

Any way to force W10 to rescan and update names of networked computers?

Thanks for any help.

StanleyLaPointe, Jul 25, 2016
  3. Shilohbob Win User
    Can I change the windows 10 pro to windows 10 home???

As stated by Johnny 55, it is not an issue with the OS, as fundamentally their is little if any difference between W10 Home & Pro, your problem is with Quicken or the way your home computer is setup.

Do you receive any error message?

Suggest uninstall from home computer and re-install in compatibility mode with Admin rights, ensure you restart your PC between the uninstall & re-install.

Shilohbob, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

I'm sorry but you missed the train. Unless you have someone at home with access to your computers willing to do that for you, or an unrestricted remote access to your home computers, you have to pay for Windows 10.

The free upgrade offer ends on Friday. That's it.

5. flybynite Win User
    You will need to buy it.

flybynite, Jul 25, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Yes. Keenly waiting next week to see how many users forgot / missed / didn't realize MS meant what they said: One Year! It's such a short period, it could happen to anyone...

7. flybynite Win User
    I guess one year is not sufficient time for free offer! *really

flybynite, Jul 25, 2016
  8. On vacation - any way to install W10 on home computers after 7/29?

Oh it might be, but remember upgrading an OS is NOT simple or easy, no matter how much MS said it was, plenty of customers have not been able to get the free upgrade to even work on PCs that was supposedly "ready" for Windows 10.
    It might be easy for geeks like us, but not for the general public. Plenty can go wrong and does, if you look at the forums here and MS Community there are tons of horror stories, that include the upgrade resulting in the bricking of the computer.

I have heard that number of Windows 10 installations will NOT meet MS predicted estimates ...so I am guessing that
    at some point after the deadline they will once again offer a limited time extension to get Windows 10 free, perhaps around mid-late september.

legacy7955, Jul 25, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    It sure did and sooner than I expected it.. after Friday it's going to be "fun" to see what happens.

I'll have to stock up on the popcorn for me and my bunny.

BunnyJ, Jul 25, 2016
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    The bricking issue occurred very early on in the development cycle of 10 and is no longer an issue. And there will be zero extension of the drop dead date of this coming Friday.

BunnyJ, Jul 25, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    BunnyJ, Jul 25, 2016
  12. I still see users over on MS Community Forums complaining of bricked PCs in just the past several days not to mention the many that cannot get 10 to install and they end up with a endless loop scenario, or worse.

Again if MS can't meet their promised user targets with 10 their shareholders won't be pleased, so I do believe that at some point they will offer it for free again, for a limited time.

legacy7955, Jul 26, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

Of course, depending where you are in the world, you can get up to 24 (23?) hours extra eg Samoa (moved to other side of international dateline), but only 1 hour I think in Aleution Islands. In the UK, we get until 11 AM (BST) on Saturday according to this.

cereberus, Jul 26, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    It looks as if MS decided to stop free upgrade offer at the same time around the world, when the last corners of the world finally come to Friday midnight. Last place to do that is Kirimati, time zone UTC +14.

This means that for you in UK, BST being UTC +1 the free upgrade end as you said at 11 AM on Saturday, for me in Germany and CEST UTC +2 time it ends at noon on Saturday. For a New Yorker at 6 AM EDT Saturday morning, for the geeks coding Windows in Redmond at 3 AM PDT Saturday morning (although I doubt they get free upgrades from work *Wink), for fellow geeks in New Zealand first at 10 PM NZST Saturday evening.

Only place in the world where the free upgrade offer actually ends on Friday, at midnight, is Hawaii (UTC -10).

15. BunnyJ New Member
    All I go by is what I see reported in this forum and to date the issue of bricked HDD is not coming up like it did a while back. And just how is giving more copies of 10 away going to make the shareholders happy. They want revenue coming in not freebies going out.

BunnyJ, Jul 26, 2016
Thema:

1. On vacation - any way to install W10 on home computers after 7/29? - Similar Threads - vacation install W10

2. How to take your W10 partition on vacation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to take your W10 partition on vacation?: I'm gonna copy the W10 partition to the laptop SSD, and have the main entire PC Windows in a laptop.Hardware i drivers is no problem, W10 is excellent system, 'the hardware is strong separate from software' love it in W10.but what about:W10 license, the laptop was upgraded...
  3. How to take your W10 partition on vacation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to take your W10 partition on vacation?: I'm gonna copy the W10 partition to the laptop SSD, and have the main entire PC Windows in a laptop.Hardware i drivers is no problem, W10 is excellent system, 'the hardware is strong separate from software' love it in W10.but what about:W10 license, the laptop was upgraded...
  4. How to take your W10 partition on vacation?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Is there a way to downgrade W11 to W10 after 7 days?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to downgrade W11 to W10 after 7 days?: I heard that if 7 days pass since you upgrade to 11, the recovery files get permanently destroyed, essentially locking the downgrade option.Is there a way to downgrade to 10 after that period WITHOUT doing a factory reset and losing all my data? Also, as the windows 10 .iso...
  6. Is there a way to downgrade W11 to W10 after 7 days?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to downgrade W11 to W10 after 7 days?: I heard that if 7 days pass since you upgrade to 11, the recovery files get permanently destroyed, essentially locking the downgrade option.Is there a way to downgrade to 10 after that period WITHOUT doing a factory reset and losing all my data? Also, as the windows 10 .iso...
  7. Is there any way to re-install W10 and keep programs without updating?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there any way to re-install W10 and keep programs without updating?: I am on 1803 and every single update has failed, it butchers the system and makes it largely inoperable. I have a hell of a lot installed and configured and really don't want to spend days getting it all set up again, is there any way to re-install without losing what I have...
  8. Any way to stop CHKDSK at Startup? (W10)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to stop CHKDSK at Startup? (W10): Is there a way to stop the progression of chkdsk at Stage4 while it's already running at startup? (was scheduled via Administrator CMD) ... didn't expect it to take 11 hours to complete, and I no longer think I need to do it. Any ideas? submitted by /u/Corp-Por [link]...
  9. Install W10 after 7/29. Lose activation if accessibility turned off

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Install W10 after 7/29. Lose activation if accessibility turned off: First I legitimately have vision problems and the screen magnifier helps. Updated to Win 10 after 7/29 using the accessibility option. If I disable the accessibility settings the PC says not activated. Turn back on setting and PC activates. Listening to the voice babel on...
  10. Is W10 free to install on any computer that came with windows?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is W10 free to install on any computer that came with windows?: So recently, I installed new solid state drives in multiple machines. I noticed that Microsoft never asked me for a product key like with older versions of windows. I'm assuming that Microsoft must be verifying these computers somehow. What are the conditions in which you are...