Windows 10: On Windows 10 when does file history run?

Discus and support On Windows 10 when does file history run? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, On Windows 10 when does file history run? I have file history turned on and I have "Save copies of files" set to daily. When does Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stuart253, Sep 17, 2016.

1. stuart253 Win User

On Windows 10 when does file history run?

Hello,

I have file history turned on and I have "Save copies of files" set to daily. When does Windows determine that it is time to run? I know that it is daily but when? Looking at the backed up file, they appear to have made at different times.

Thanks

Stu

:)

stuart253, Sep 17, 2016
  2. rhodesmk Win User

How can I restore files from backup on a different pc?.

Sorry, yes. I was using file history when I backed up on one Windows 10 operating system, and I want to use file history to restore on the new installation of Windows 10. However, when I start file history, it does not see the prior backup on the external drive
    that I backed up to.

rhodesmk, Sep 17, 2016
  3. SUE
    Sue Win User
    Using file history

I am using file history for the first time on Windows 10, backing up to an external drive. Does the file history indicate when it is finished? It has been running for quite some time now. Thanks!

4. Cliff S New Member

You can find out(maybe) in Task Scheduler. Drop down to: Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory

I don't use it that's why there is no next run time:

On Windows 10 when does file history run? [​IMG]

Open it's properties and maybe you will find what you're looking for.
    If not, some system tasks have hidden portions, so the user doesn't break it.

Cliff S, Sep 17, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it's not quite as simple as a scheduled task- and the task scheduler doesn't seem to be used for this- not the timed backups. There is a task there, but it doesn't contain that information even when FH is turned on.

See
    Windows 8: File History explained | TechNet Magazine
    Windows 8: Protect your files | TechNet Magazine

This includes a number of reasons for a backup to be delayed. Note too how backups can be cached until the backup medium is present, when all cached versions are written out.

Thus there are significant reasons to find the backups are not written when you might expect.

dalchina, Sep 17, 2016
  6. stuart253 Win User
    Thanks to all who responded

stuart253, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. On Windows 10 when does file history run? - Similar Threads - does file history

2. Windows 10 File History does not recognize some of the partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File History does not recognize some of the partitions.: If you are having trouble getting Windows to recognize all of the partitions on your PC, you are not alone. I read many suggestions from other users, none of which worked. My PC has a lot of disks, many with multiple partitions and some with only one partition. The partitions...
  3. Windows 10 File History does not recognize some of the partitions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File History does not recognize some of the partitions.: If you are having trouble getting Windows to recognize all of the partitions on your PC, you are not alone. I read many suggestions from other users, none of which worked. My PC has a lot of disks, many with multiple partitions and some with only one partition. The partitions...
  4. Windows 10 File History does not recognize some of the partitions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Does File History run while the computer is sleeping?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Does File History run while the computer is sleeping?: 20H2 .867 We put our computers to sleep after 1 hour of no use. Every Friday morning I look at the File History drive to make sure it's still working. My wife gets into Quicken on a daily basis, so it's easy to see if her files are being backed up. This morning I looked and...
  6. File History Does Not Work

File History Does Not Work: Hi, For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home 20H2 has stopped working. In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up". On clicking "Back...
  7. Windows + Run history

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows + Run history: Hoping to get some help. My issue: When I access the run function (my preferred method is Windows Key + R) it does not remember any of the commands I enter in it. It does however, seem to pull history from other places. e.g. If I type winver to check my version/build, the...
  8. File History not running

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not running: [img] Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I see someone else has this problem. How do I get on again doesn't help. Settings shows the drive letter H: listing twice, which is weird. A tutorial says you can reset File History without losing data....
  9. File History Windows 10 does not update new files

File History Windows 10 does not update new files: Hello: I have HP Desktop i7 16GB 3TB HD. I Have updated to Win10 P64Bit 1903 To begin with, the main message on this screen is that File History is off. So it might seem logical that the first thing that you should do is click the Turn On button. However, that is a mistake....
  10. windows 10 file history not running but it says it is

windows 10 file history not running but it says it is: My Windows 10 File History is set to run every 30 minutes, and it says it's connected to a working external drive. Everything seems as if it should be working, but it says the last update was done 3 months ago! File history folder on external drive has not changed size in...