Windows 10: One backup to restore on 2 computers

Discus and support One backup to restore on 2 computers in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Duplicate SIDs can be a pain in an Enterprise environment. This is Microsoft's stated policy on 'cloned' PC images. Cloning or duplicating an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bree, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

One backup to restore on 2 computers

Duplicate SIDs can be a pain in an Enterprise environment. This is Microsoft's stated policy on 'cloned' PC images.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/3...-installations

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
  2. OAO
    oao Win User

I have 2 identical laptops identically OS and software configured that I keep in sync via OneDrive. I take frequent backups. Currently I have to back up each separately.

I am trying to find a way to backup either and use the same image to restore either of them when necessary. AFAIK, the way license keys work, this isn't possible.

Does anybody know of a way to do that?

:)

3. Restoring a backup to a different computer

2 Cases imply in this.

1. You are restoring only Files.

2. You are restoring Files with the System Image.

If your backup has a system image, it would entirely replace the contents of C:/ with the one in the backup. All your contents of the work computer would be lost.( Provided both of the systems use the same Windows Edition with Architecture) which you would
    not want to.

Please see:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/75675-resto...

on how to restore files using Backup and restore.

Hope that helps!

Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 18, 2018
  4. FordLadd Win User

Backup and Restoring files from another computer's File History

I have two questions regard two identical laptops running Windows 10-64 Pro:

1. How can I restore directories and files from one computer's File History to a second computer without modifying the first computer's File History?

(If I try to use restore personal files on the second laptop, I must first change its backup drive to that of the first computer's backup (on a NAS), and that process changes the backup file name for the first computer so that the first computer can not
    access its backup file again).

2. How can I backup my files with Windows 10 so that I can restore them to a laptop using Windows 7-64 Pro?

(I get error codes stating W7 Backup and Restore is no longer available on my laptop)

(And, Yes, I want to go back to W7, so much easier with Backup and Restore).

Thank you.

Ford Ladd

FordLadd, Apr 18, 2018
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Not that I am aware of. I believe it's more than just license keys. There the unique device IDs, bunch of other stuff. I don't have or know all details, but I really do not think that is possible.

Edit: I remember now that is how I did my "cloning" from my old Dell to my new Alienware. I did a full Macrium image, all partitions, and restored it to a blank SSD in the new machine. Not real sure if that would work on a continual basis, though. But I did do that.

f14tomcat, Apr 18, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    You can certainly make an image backup of one pc eg using Macrium Reflect, and restore to another pc. Windows 10 is very good at sorting differences in hardware ie drivers BUT it is not perfect. In some cases, it may be necessary to sysprep (remove hardware drivers) an installation first or use say Macrium Reflect Redeploy option (not on free version).

Of course, each pc will need its own licence.

cereberus, Apr 18, 2018
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    I think what Cereberus and I are both saying is, yes, it's possible, but maybe not the best solution. I may have gotten lucky when I did it. Actually, the time to backup an image with verify is about 5 minutes or so for 30-35Gb, so it's not a long process, and it would be safer.

f14tomcat, Apr 18, 2018
  8. OAO
    oao Win User

I got it.

There is, actually, an additional reason I am interested in that option. Both computers run the same version of Windows10 customized to my preferences, but one had Win10 preinstalled and updated in place over Win7, which messed up the user accounts system. I installed the same version of Win10 on the 2nd system myself from scratch -- base and a series of updates.
    They are both Win10 1511 brought up to a certain update level, customized and cleaned of useless and spying bloat (Cortana, Edge, apps) and not updated anymore to avoid all the MS Windows Update mess and the return of the bloat. I do not want anything beyond that touching my systems.

Because the 1st system was updated in place, the user accts system is somewhat messed up and quirky and 1st has USER as main acct, second my name. To make the 1st the same as the 2nd I would have to duplicate the install and customization on it, including installing the programs (not apps) and that is too heavy a price to pay -- the system works after all. Restoring an image of the 2nd would be a better option, but from what you're saying, there is a risk it won't work.

So I guess I will have to wait for it to break and try the restore then.

9. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Apr 19, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    You can always make it work by running sysprep which is an official ms tool to prepare a system (sysprep) for redeployment to different devices but in most cases it is not needed especially if laptops are identical (although often allegedly identical devices may have different internal components depending on product runs etc).

cereberus, Apr 19, 2018
  11. OAO
    oao Win User
    Of course I am aware. That was a conscious decision to stop updating -- I want nothing to do with anything beyond what I already have. Watching the mess that has become Windows10 and what people who keep up with it have been going through without any justification, I am very glad I got off that wagon.

12. Samuria Win User
    The problem could come if you turn on both pcs on the same network at the same time as windows can get confused which is which

Samuria, Apr 19, 2018
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Nothing negative meant, no way of knowing your background with this issue. *Wink

f14tomcat, Apr 19, 2018
  14. OAO
    oao Win User
    No such problem.

I use one in the office and one on travel -- they are always used sequentially, one after the other. This is to equally distribute wear equally and have a backup when one fails.

My concern is that the restored systm won't boot, or have problems.

15. f14tomcat Win User
    I'm not sure what to say to that. All of us here who regularly make backups, using Macrium, one for each system they may have, very rarely have a boot problem, or after restore problems. If the image is successful and verified successfully, there should be no issues.

f14tomcat, Apr 19, 2018
Thema:

1. One backup to restore on 2 computers - Similar Threads - backup restore computers

2. Restore only ONE program from backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore only ONE program from backup: Is this possible through MS backup?I found the backup and see the program in there.or is/are there other programs that will do this?thank, you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-only-one-program-from-backup/c4a93cd0-cbda-4e06-a6a2-93d19ab6a76f
  3. Restore only ONE program from backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore only ONE program from backup: Is this possible through MS backup?I found the backup and see the program in there.or is/are there other programs that will do this?thank, you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-only-one-program-from-backup/c4a93cd0-cbda-4e06-a6a2-93d19ab6a76f
  4. Restore only ONE program from backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Indexing and One Drive - reversing/backup/restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing and One Drive - reversing/backup/restore: Hi there,Indexation had been installed on PC and resulted in One Drive syncing problems and missing files etc. Essentially, on the PC, no file can be located; and a reasonable proportion of files on One Drive have been sent to the Recycle Bin. As a non tech person, I wanted...
  6. Indexing and One Drive - reversing/backup/restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing and One Drive - reversing/backup/restore: Hi there,Indexation had been installed on PC and resulted in One Drive syncing problems and missing files etc. Essentially, on the PC, no file can be located; and a reasonable proportion of files on One Drive have been sent to the Recycle Bin. As a non tech person, I wanted...
  7. 2 Keyboards one computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2 Keyboards one computer: I am asking if it is possible to make it so one keyboard does not effect the other keyboard. I just decided to get into soundboards and was just going to use another keyboard I assigned it shift 2 for one of them but when I use my main keyboard to press shift to use @ it...
  8. restore a backup from old computer to a new one - both windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore a backup from old computer to a new one - both windows 10: how do i restore a backup from my old computer to my new one - backup files are on an SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-a-backup-from-old-computer-to-a-new-one/ba22eb2a-e6c7-4b39-8fe1-931b7ea2b786
  9. Backup old computer and restore onto new computer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup old computer and restore onto new computer: A friend of mine smashed his all-in-on PC with Windows 10 Home and asked me to make a backup of his data and later restore the data onto his new PC. I have basically two questions about this: 1.) How do I do the backup best? Can this be done with Windows' own backup feature,...
  10. Restoring backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring backup: Hi I have windows 10 installed on an SSD. I backup the entire SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. I now want to restore the windows 10 installation. Do I need to restore the entire SSD or can I just restore the C partition ? Whats the best way ? Thanks 27393