Windows 10: One Drive login

Discus and support One Drive login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Recently signed up to Office 365 Business Premium and currently on trial period. When I click on 'This PC' and then 'OneDrive' the Welcome to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NJR73, Apr 5, 2016.

1. NJR73 Win User

One Drive login

Hi,

Recently signed up to Office 365 Business Premium and currently on trial period.

When I click on 'This PC' and then 'OneDrive' the Welcome to OneDrive box pops up to sign in.
    However when I try and sign in I get the message ' That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one'

I have no problems signing at - Sign in to your account though.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

:)

NJR73, Apr 5, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 5, 2016
  3. Unable to login to One Drive

My one drive was working perfectly before i updated to windows 10 1709, now niether i am able to login nor i am able to go back to the previous version of windows before the update.

I have done all the solutions suggested on other posts , Please let me know if there is some way out of this.

Victor Vanya, Apr 5, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

One Drive login

It sounds like the O365 and the Onedrive are being treated as different accounts, which is possible as the OneDrive is available without a O365 Subscription, Is there an option to create an account on the log-in screen for OneDrive? (may be small light text).

If not you could try to create a Microsoft account with the same eMail address you used for O365, and see if that then lets you access onedrive as needed

Maybe our User @Kari may be help further as I know he uses O365 extensively ( he should now be aware of your question)

Barman58, Apr 5, 2016
  5. NJR73 Win User
    Thanks for replying.
    There is an option to create an account on login screen, so I created one using the same email address. I then logged in on PC and put a file in the folder. After this i logged in to the web based account but there was nothing there.

I then noticed after searching that there is a OneDrive for business icon also on my pc so i logged into this and this seems to work!

So yes, like you said they appear to be 2 different accounts. Although I now appear to have my Office 365 email address linked to both of them yet only the business one is working. Very confusing!

Thanks for your help.

NJR73, Apr 5, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Launching OneDrive from Start > All apps > OneDrive first time when no OneDrive personal or business accounts are set up, it expects you to sign in to a personal OneDrive with a Microsoft account. An Office 365 for Business / OneDrive for Business account is a totally different thing, therefore the OneDrive setup does not accept your OneDrive for Business credentials. It clearly tells you to enter your MS account credentials:

One Drive login [​IMG]

Your O365 for Business account is not an MS account; it is instead a so called workplace account.

To install and sync OD for Business, the easiest way is to install it with Office application suite. Sign in to your O365 for Business at portal.office.com, click your avatar on top right and select View account:

One Drive login [​IMG]

Select Manage installs:

One Drive login [​IMG]

... and install Office suite. At the moment you can select between Office 2013 and Office 2016. OD for Business will also be installed, whichever Office version you will choose..

If you do not want to or need to install the Office suite, sign first in to OneDrive Personal with your personal MS account if you have one or want to create one. When done and personal OD is set up if it is needed, open the Run dialog with WIN+R and enter the following command:
    Code: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe /configure_business[/quote]
    OneDrive setup opens once again but this time you can clearly see that instead of asking your MS account credentials, it is now asking your workplace (your O365 for Business) account credentials. Now you can set up OD for Business with your O365 for Business account:

One Drive login [​IMG]

From now on you will see both OneDrives, the OD for Business as OneDrive - YourDomain, and your private OD as OneDrive - Personal:

One Drive login [​IMG]

Kari, Apr 5, 2016
  7. NJR73 Win User
    Got it now, i think!

You can have a OneDrive personal account and a OneDrive business account that both use the same email address but are different accounts.

Thanks.

NJR73, Apr 5, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

One Drive login

That is a bit complicated. Let's see if I can explain this:

All Microsoft personal email addresses are automatically so called MS accounts:
    • Any @hotmail.com account
    • Any @outlook.com account
    • Any @live.com account
    • Any @msn.com account
    • Any localized version of these:
      • Any @hotmail.co.uk account
      • Any @live.co.jp account
      • Any @hotmail.fi account
      • Any @outlook.de account
      • ... and so on
    Additionally, you can create an MS account using your third party email address (your_email@gmail.com, L: your_email@yahoo.com, L: your_email@AnyEmailServiceProvider.com).

These are all MS accounts, personal accounts with inclusive personal OneDrive.

An Office 365 for Business account is a totally different thing. When you or your organization first time sign up for O365 for Business or O365 for Enterprise, you will be asked an individual subdomain for the onmicrosoft.com domain. Let's say you started your O365 for Business trial selecting a subdomain MyO365Test; this would make your initial O365 for Business email address L: YourName@MyO365Test.onmicrosoft.com. Now this is your so called workplace account, your O365 for Business email address:

One Drive login [​IMG]

The onmicrosoft.com part in domain name cannot be changed at this point.

When set up, you can then add your own domains to your O365 subscription. Let's say you own a domain MyBusinessSite.com and you add that domain to O365. Now you can create a new O365 for Business email for you as L: MyName@MyBusinessSite.com. If you set it up as your primary email, your O365 workplace account sign in address is changed to that, replacing the original L: YourName@MyO365Test.onmicrosoft.com.

Now you can create an MS account using that O365 email as a third party email address. This means that in the future you have two totally different accounts using the same email address; your O365 for Business workplace account L: MyName@MyBusinessSite.com, and a new MS account using the same email.

Using myself as an example, I have done exactly this: I have an O365 for Enterprise account L: @MyOwnDomain.com, and I have used that email address to create an MS account. No problems, as long as I remember that I have same credentials for two different accounts; I sign in to Windows and my personal OneDrive using the MS account L: @MyOwnDomain.com, and to my O365 for Enterprise services and OneDrive for Business using the same credentials.

Microsoft in general and Windows in particular make it easy to understand the difference. Here's an example: if I choose to access my OneDrive online using a browser at Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online., I will be first asked my email address:

One Drive login [​IMG]

When I have given my email address, OneDrive sign-in notifies me that for this email address there are two different accounts and OneDrives and asks me to select which one I want to use:

One Drive login [​IMG]

This is because the same email address is my O365 for Enterprise email address, and I have used it to create a personal MS account.

I think I might have just confused you more instead of explaining this but please, ask if there's something still not clear in this *Smile

Kari, Apr 5, 2016
  9. NJR73 Win User
    No that's fine Kari I understand now after reading that.

I had great fun setting up Office 365 in our business a few weeks ago, wish I'd of known about this forum!

Thanks again to you and Nigel.

NJR73, Apr 5, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

Thema:

One Drive login

1. One Drive login - Similar Threads - Drive login

2. Unable to Login after Diagnostic Startup in MSconfig, unable to access hard drive for clean...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Login after Diagnostic Startup in MSconfig, unable to access hard drive for clean...: I am no longer able to login with the error "something happened and your PIN isn't available" error, with no option to reset PIN. I have read many other articles on answers.microsoft.com and it seems the clean install of Windows 11 is the best answer to this issue....
  3. Unable to Login after Diagnostic Startup in MSconfig, unable to access hard drive for clean...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Login after Diagnostic Startup in MSconfig, unable to access hard drive for clean...: I am no longer able to login with the error "something happened and your PIN isn't available" error, with no option to reset PIN. I have read many other articles on answers.microsoft.com and it seems the clean install of Windows 11 is the best answer to this issue....
  4. Can't Login on Windows, Asking for a USB flash drive

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't Login on Windows, Asking for a USB flash drive: My laptop is asking for a password when it usually asks for a pin number. There is no way to switch login options and it's saying I need a USB to change the password, etc. I don't have a USB backup or Windows disk. I've tried to reset the computer using...
  5. Can't Login on Windows, Asking for a USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Login on Windows, Asking for a USB flash drive: My laptop is asking for a password when it usually asks for a pin number. There is no way to switch login options and it's saying I need a USB to change the password, etc. I don't have a USB backup or Windows disk. I've tried to reset the computer using...
  6. Can't Login on Windows, Asking for a USB flash drive

7. login problem in one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    login problem in one drive: when i am trying to sin=gn in one drive why otp not recieve i try 100 times https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/login-problem-in-one-drive/6e4971c9-8d9e-40a4-85f3-83ca8907f421
  8. login problem in one drive

login problem in one drive: when i am trying to sin=gn in one drive why otp not recieve i try 100 times https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/login-problem-in-one-drive/6e4971c9-8d9e-40a4-85f3-83ca8907f421
  9. After an update one drive is not working, I can't login and all my files are gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After an update one drive is not working, I can't login and all my files are gone: I updated my computer last night and my one drive is not working now. I can’t login and all my files are gone* Changed to a question* Original title: Can not use my computer properly...
  10. After an update one drive is not working, I can't login and all my files are gone

After an update one drive is not working, I can't login and all my files are gone: I updated my computer last night and my one drive is not working now. I can’t login and all my files are gone* Changed to a question* Original title: Can not use my computer properly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. one drive for business legacy localized error 0x80040202