Windows 10: One drive setup problem!

Discus and support One drive setup problem! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed W10 on a new PC for a friend and initially signed in using my Microsoft Account. I then did what the instructions on this site said todo.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ken429, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Ken429 Win User

One drive setup problem!

I installed W10 on a new PC for a friend and initially signed in using my Microsoft Account. I then did what the instructions on this site said todo. Changed the PC to a local account and then Sign In to the friend's Microsoft Account the one I should have used in the first place. Everything seemed to be OK until I looked at the One Drive folders. They had all my stuff. If I made a change on the new PC it took effect on all my PC's. It would appear that One Drive thinks it is signed in to my Microsoft Account?!

So is there a way to uninstall One Drive on the new PC and reinstall it so that it connects to the correct Microsoft Account during installeation? Or do I just give up and re-install using the correct Microsoft Account. Seems like there are traces of my Microsoft Account throughout the system!

:)

Ken429, Jan 25, 2016

2. "Save files to OneDrive?"

Hmmm... For me, directly after following your step, and logging in. I shutdown pc, plugged back in Ethernet connection. Turned on, logged in and then notification appeared to setup one drive. I was able to sign in and connect no problem. Maybe try uninstalling
    and or discontinuing your one drive setup, and try what I did (WiFi, just restart after it's working), the notification should automatically appear on windows pc's that do not already have it...

JohnCummings96, Jan 25, 2016
  3. Sascha B. Win User
    Multiple One Drive accounts

Hello edwardmallet,

thank you for posting on the forum.

I think, one reason is, that the one drive account was linked/setup to the one drive work account first when you set up the account.

But you can specify or change it, if you do a reset on the phone and then just change the setup to the private one drive account.

Then it should work.

Hopefully this helps.

Kindregards

Sascha B., Jan 25, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

One drive setup problem!

Something appears to have gone wrong since logging in with a new Microsoft account should have created a new user with a new OneDrive folder.

If the new account seems to be connected to your OneDrive you could try unlinking it and then link to the correct account. This can be done from the OneDrive cloud icon in the system tray by right clicking it and selecting settings.

However, if there is a wider problem and the accounts have got confused you would be better off reinstalling and starting from scratch.

philc43, Jan 26, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Actually I think it is quite normal - it has happened to me changing MS accounts that the old account is retained in OneDrive (and in the mail app etc). You can use these apps without a MS account at all if you want.

To correct it, as @philc43 said, while signed on as your friend you could search for the OneDrive desktop app and take the option "Unlink OneDrive".

One drive setup problem! [​IMG]

Delete all of your files from the PC in the OneDrive folder then go back to the OneDrive desktop app again and connect to the correct account.

If you signed into the mail or calendar app then your account will be retained also. That you could delete (while signed on as your friend) through Settings > Manage your accounts > Your email and accounts and scroll down. Click on your account, manage then Delete

Alternatively it be easier to just make a new (administrator) account for your friend, sign on to that and then delete your account.
    User Account - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Lastly on one of your PCs sign on as you and go to https://account.microsoft.com. There you will see the devices linked to your account and you can delete the other PC you no longer want connected to your account.

6. philc43 Win User
    Changing accounts will do this, however, adding a new account would be a better way and I believe would avoid the problems. Looking back at the OP it does look as if he simply changed the account.

philc43, Jan 26, 2016
  7. Ken429 Win User
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the easy way out and just reinstalled W10 with the friend's Microsoft Account. All is well now, no hidden references to my Microsoft Account buried in the W10 registry etc.

Ken429, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

One drive setup problem!

1. One drive setup problem! - Similar Threads - drive setup problem

2. One Drive problem.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive problem.: I don't use One Drive and don't want to use it.However it is duplicating my 'Pictures, Documents and Desktop links'The normal folders are still complete and act as they always have.It's always been around but seems to have become very active in the last few days.These files...
  3. One Drive problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive problem: I have used a pc (not the same one) with Windows, now V10, for about 15 years and I know little more than I need to know. I recently bought my first smartphone - iPhone 11 - and have found it easy to download photos from it to Pictures in Documents on my pc. To my surprise I...
  4. Problem with one drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with one drive: so I was in the middle of a discord call when my computer updated then when it was done I kept getting a Java error so I fully Uninstalled discord but then it kept telling me that my one drive needed to be logged into so it could sync up but the one drive kept being...
  5. problem with one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    problem with one drive: Hello! I have a problem with one drive. I would like to enable automatic screenshots saving option in settings, but every time I put a tic in settings and accept my choice, one drive automaticaly cancel it. [ATTACH] I'm sorry for the language, I dont use an english...
  6. One-Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    One-Drive Problems: So, OneDrive is being especially annoying for me tonight. It was syncing at 0.0kb/s first, then to try and fix it I restarted. Now I'm stuck between it "signing in" and "processing changes", currently on the former. This is incredibly annoying, I've tried resetting it once...
  7. One Drive setup

in Windows 10 Customization
    One Drive setup: I can not select the folders to sync because OK is not selectable. I have rebooted multiple times and OK is never highlighted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-setup/5e5ab226-5876-4121-b1b6-80e4ce5e0d75
  8. one drive problem

in Windows 10 Support
    one drive problem: since updating to 10159 and then 10162 every time I click on photo in menu it starts up for about 5 seconds and then shuts down with no error message 7810
  9. One Drive Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    One Drive Problem: I am a new one driver user and would like to start using it exclusively when I travel. I understand some of the symbols such as the green check mark and the sign that signifies a file is loading. My problem is some of my files have a RED X. Those files are not on my other...
  10. Setup one drive popup

in Windows 10 Support
    Setup one drive popup: I`m in Windows 10 Home Edition-Firefox 49.0.1. One drive appears at start up which i don`t need. Unticking as in my attachment doesn`t solve the problem as that is for Windows Professional. Any solution please? *Smile 66729