Windows 10: One key on my laptop is typing the wrong thing.

Discus and support One key on my laptop is typing the wrong thing. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Every other key is fine. It is only the 8 that is messed up. It is typing a 0. If I hold function and press the 8 key it types a forward slash . I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MichaelKayne, Aug 6, 2018.

1. One key on my laptop is typing the wrong thing.

Every other key is fine. It is only the 8 that is messed up. It is typing a 0. If I hold function and press the 8 key it types a forward slash . I have tried changing the language settings and a few other things. Nothing is will change it back.

Dell inspiron

Windows 10

:)

MichaelKayne, Aug 6, 2018

2. Windows 10 Laptop Keyboard Keys Acting Strange

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to the laptop to check if that helps.

Further you may also use the onscreen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Keyboard types wrong characters

Hello Hannah,

If you're having issues with your laptop's keyboard, we highly suggest performing the troubleshooting steps in this article:

Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    . If the issue persists, you may also try the suggestions posted by Deepak Kodi in this
    thread. Quite a few people found his suggestions helpful.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Aug 6, 2018
  4. One key on my laptop is typing the wrong thing.

at sign in my keyboard keys are typing the wrong letters

Hi Darrell,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

We would require some more information to assist you better:

• Are you facing issues while typing the password?
    • Have you clicked on the eye next to password field and checked?
    • As you've mentioned that keyboard keys are typing the wrong letters at sign in screen, kindly let us know how are you able to sign in to desktop? Have you used any external keyboard?
    You may try installing the keyboard drivers in compatibility mode and check for the issue status. Here is the steps:

• Go to your manufacturer’s website
      and download the Driver’s setup file for your computer.
    • Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Driver, expand, then right click and select
      Uninstall.
    • If you are prompted to Confirm then Confirm.
    • Go to the location where you had saved your downloaded setup files of the drivers and
      right click, then select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    • Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.
    Keep us informed about the status of the issue and reply with the information and we’ll be happy to help you.

Navneet Anand, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

One key on my laptop is typing the wrong thing.

1. One key on my laptop is typing the wrong thing. - Similar Threads - key laptop typing

2. My keys are typing the wrong keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keys are typing the wrong keys: I went to get on my school computer EliteBook and found that, somehow over the weekend while it was shut and turned off all weekend, my keys have switched. M is caps lock, 1 is U, 2 is A, 3 is L, etc. It's like this for all the keys except N. I found a similar post, and the...
  3. My keys are typing the wrong keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My keys are typing the wrong keys: I went to get on my school computer EliteBook and found that, somehow over the weekend while it was shut and turned off all weekend, my keys have switched. M is caps lock, 1 is U, 2 is A, 3 is L, etc. It's like this for all the keys except N. I found a similar post, and the...
  4. My keys are typing the wrong keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Keys do the wrong thing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keys do the wrong thing: Every time I press the enter key it sends me to my screen login, My period key mutes everything, the esc key switches my music, and my shift key opens tabs. What do I do to fix this?...
  6. Keys do the wrong thing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keys do the wrong thing: Every time I press the enter key it sends me to my screen login, My period key mutes everything, the esc key switches my music, and my shift key opens tabs. What do I do to fix this?...
  7. Keys do the wrong thing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Wrong keys typing on laptop keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wrong keys typing on laptop keyboard: Hi, I need help with my keyboard settings, because when I type for example the symbol of the number 7 appears this "/" but the symbol that appears in the key is this "&", this happens with other keys too, like with 3, appears this "·" but the symbol that is in the key is "#"...
  9. My keyboard types the wrong keys

My keyboard types the wrong keys: It all started when I replaced my laptop battery. After that, I realized that some of my keys like the b, s, or spacebar key didn't work. I used a keyboard tester after that, and it turns out those keys got rebinded. My s key turned into F12, my spacebar turned into the pause...
  10. my f-keys are doing wrong things

my f-keys are doing wrong things: Normally I have the function keys f6,f7,f7 to control volume but for some reason now they simply don't work, I never used to need to hold down the fn key and when I do it still doesn't work. The keys themselves are still functional. It just seems as though they do different...