Windows 10: One Macrium rescue USB - several different pcs ?

Discus and support One Macrium rescue USB - several different pcs ? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have 6 Windows 10 Pro x64 pcs, some have optical disk some not, various i7 cpus (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen) and mobos. I have installed Macrium Reflect Free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by badcrc, Sep 20, 2016.

1. badcrc Win User

One Macrium rescue USB - several different pcs ?

I have 6 Windows 10 Pro x64 pcs, some have optical disk some not, various i7 cpus (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen) and mobos. I have installed Macrium Reflect Free on all 6 and it would be really convenient if I could have just one bootable rescue USB for all the machines. Is this possible or do I need a separate USB for each pc ?

:)

badcrc, Sep 20, 2016
  2. Ill Gates Win User

Windows 10 update wont boot ,screen just flickers

I didnt make the Macrium Boot media when I installed the program (I know, I know) Since my other PC is an XP op sys, I'm having a friend install Macrium and make a rescue usb stick. That should work ,right

Thanks for the help

Ill Gates, Sep 20, 2016
  3. Windows 10 boot bcd error 0xc000000e

I had this problem during updating windows 10 with major update on my desktop, no idea why.

The best and simplest solution for this Boot BCD problem:

I use Macrium free rescue disk to boot my desktop (it's windows PE). This software has an option to FIX windows boot. You need to install free Macrium on another PC in order to create a rescue disk to do restore. By the way, it's the BEST FREE backup software
    and that saved my life several times with image backup. Thanks Macrium.

You don't need to type any dos command, it's done automatically.

Boot your problem pc with this rescue disk.

You need just to choose your system partition and click on "Fix windows boot" option , that's it.

---

I retry windows 10 major update again, and that worked the second time!!!

Hoang D Trinh, Sep 20, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

In general, one usb stick will be ok but now and then you need to pick up a specific driver for it to work. You basically need to test it on each pc.

A simple option is to add Macrium as a boot entry, installing it on each pc. Of course a USB stick is still needed if hdd fails.

cereberus, Sep 20, 2016
  5. badcrc Win User
    Thanks for reply - can you expand on this ?

badcrc, Sep 20, 2016
  6. Phone Man Win User
    If you have Macrium installed on a system you can start the Create Rescue Media on each system and on the 2nd screen it will show the driver status for that PC. It has a driver database built into WinPe.

One Macrium rescue USB - several different pcs ? [​IMG]

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Sep 20, 2016
  7. badcrc Win User
    Phone Man - are you saying : create boot usb on pc #1, then use same usb to create boot device on pc #2 ? and it won't overwrite data from pc #1 ?

badcrc, Sep 20, 2016
  8. Phone Man Win User

NO. Just start the process on each PC and cancel out after the 2nd page. It just shows if an drivers are missing.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Sep 21, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    You install MR on each pc, and then just go to "other tasks - add recovery boot menu option".

Re. usb - create one and boot each pc from it - if it loads ok and you can see your drives, it is ok.

If not, you should create a usb specific for that pc, adding drivers as required. Actually it is not that common to need to do this.

cereberus, Sep 21, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Sep 21, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

so long as you have Video and any RAID drivers that's all you need on the macrium rescue USB. Any different hardware on different PC's can usually be automatically loaded again after your restore -- so I'd make a copy of the PC with the most complex software and hardware as your main "Source" backup.

Since HDD space is cheap -if you have something like a network server why not schedule backups on all these PC's and dump to the server though. A typical Windows backup will probably take around 25 GB so not a huge amount of storage needed for all your PC's.

(note this assumes OS and programs on separate HDD or partition to your DATA -- that you'll have to back up in other ways depending on your requirements).

Note - the macrium software only needs the minimal driver set to run on any particular PC -- usually basic video and RAID if you use hardware RAID - so only ONE USB containing the program is fine --don't IMO mess around with Windows boot menus --it usually comes to grief later on.

If the programs installed on the 6 PC's are totally different then you'll need different backup images too.

If you have something like a NAS server that is running LINUX then I'd say bring up a basic Windows Virtual Machine with just Macrium installed on it and then schedule the macrium program to backup your 6 client Windows machines at specific times --easily and simply done. VMware player or VBOX both run VM's easily on Linux systems and are easy to install and get working.

Without knowing the specific environment it's hard to make a "Best solution" - but given the fact you have 6 PC's around I'd certainly look at some sort of NAS server solution.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 21, 2016
  12. badcrc Win User
    Thanks for the info guys - I think I understand Macrium a bit better now.

My 6 pcs are 2 for regular use, and 4 as headless render boxes - I use Maxon Cinema 4D and their Team Render lets you render one project across as many pcs as you want, movie frames being distributed and managed automatically. Completed frames are sent back to the server pc as tifs for assembly in After Effects.

Recently I had to reinstall Windows + the render software on one machine and setting up firewall rules/ports and getting the pcs to talk to each other again is a PITA. So I made a MR image of every pc on its 2nd partition - will copy these to another location.

badcrc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. One Macrium rescue USB - several different pcs ? - Similar Threads - Macrium rescue USB

2. macrium rescue failed to see a USB-SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium rescue failed to see a USB-SSD: i just restored a macrium image of the whole C:-drive. i had bought an SSD to make it run fast(er), but rescue-media was unable to see the SSD, so i ended up using the copy on a NAS. some 20 hours later the system is back up, but i'm wondering what went wrong. attached a...
  3. Issue with USB and Macrium reflect rescue media

Issue with USB and Macrium reflect rescue media: I am trying to use some old USB drives for rescue media, but whether it is because they are usb 2.0 or some other reason, two of them so far do not work. When I try to boot to the media, it says "No OS found" or "operating system missing" (I can't remember the exact wording...
  4. Macrium Free - Will one usb rescue media work with 2 computers?

Macrium Free - Will one usb rescue media work with 2 computers?: Hello I have 2 win 10 computers. One with a cd/dvd burner and one without. If I download Macrium Free to both - do I have to create rescue media for both - or can I create to usb only and use that for both if necessary? I recognize that both need to be able to boot from usb....
  5. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  6. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  7. USB 3.0 Support In Macrium Rescue Media

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 Support In Macrium Rescue Media: I have an external USB 3.0 enclosure that I'd like to start using for some of my Macrium Backups. Macrium is able to access it when its run from within Windows10 but when I use the Macrium Boot Menu, a USB Rescue Drive, and also a bootable Macrium partition the USB 3.0...
  8. Macrium reflect rescue usb problem

Macrium reflect rescue usb problem: Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device is my pen drive. 28084
  9. Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure

Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure: Macrium rescue USB stick doesn't find the Precision Touchpad, rescue media loads without the cursor, I can not use the CD as my laptop doesn't have the DVD drive, any help is much appreciated. 68296
  10. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...