Windows 10: One one of two displays works -- hardware issue

Discus and support One one of two displays works -- hardware issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Got fedup with the daily CHKDSKs on my Win10TP install so I "cleaned" the drive and reinstalled using build 9879. First thing I noticed is that, unlike... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark Phelps, Dec 15, 2014.

1. One one of two displays works -- hardware issue

Got fedup with the daily CHKDSKs on my Win10TP install so I "cleaned" the drive and reinstalled using build 9879. First thing I noticed is that, unlike previously, only one of my two displays worked!

I check the Device Manager and the default Microsoft Basic Display driver was showing, even though I have an AMD R7 240 video card.

I installed the AMD Catalyst drivers and upon reboot, both display worked.

But, I started having CHKDSKs again, so I used a different drive and installed again.

This time, both displays showed upon initial reboot. When I checked Device Manager, instead of the Basic Display driver, it showed Radeon R7 drivers!

The only difference was the choice of which drive to use for installation.

So, I have to presume that filesystem failures on the other drive prevented proper hardware detection and drive installation.

So, if you run into the problem, in a multi display situation, where only one display shows, it could very well be a hardware problem with your drive.

:)

Mark Phelps, Dec 15, 2014

2. Problem using two- then one-displays

Problem USing Two Display Screens
    • 0 Good Question
    I would like to describe I problem I encountered with Windows10 and Lenovo Laptop. This is a general problem and not specific to Windows10.

I usually (at home) use PhotoplusX7 with my laptop and two monitors - the laptop plus an external VGA monitor.

I have Photoplus displayed on the external monitor and photos (File Explorer) selection on the laptop screen.

Recently, while away, I was doing photo editing but using only my laptop screen. (Remember - I had previously run Photoplus on the external screen.)

Without the external screen I could (MOVE) Photoplus into the laptop screen By right clicking on the Photoplus icon in the task bar.

The problem was additional "pop-ups" from Photoplus Image Adjust were still in "cyberspace" on the non-existent second monitor. Other secondary screens from Photoplus wanted to appear on the nonexistent second screen.

Nothing I tried worked to get access to these additional "pop-up" screens. My final solution was to find an external monitor to connect to the laptop. Start Photoplus and move the additional pop-ups for Image Adjust to the laptop screen. I then shutdown
    the laptop and remove the second screen. Once done I was able to work.

Does anyone know of a way, without needing the second screen, I could have reset the desktop or program or moved the additional pop-up screens to the laptop screen?

DavidK_LINY, Dec 15, 2014
  3. Problem using two- then one-displays

Problem Solved. For anyone interested I have found a solution to my dilemma.

The solution requires you to make changes to the Registry - so this is my disclaimer - if you are not comfortable making registry changes please do not try this at home.

Registry Key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> Serif -> Photoplus -> 18.0 ->

Preferences ->

BrightnessContrast

WindowPosition REG_SZ 612,-725

ColourBalance

WindowPosition REG_SZ 535,40

I am showing two just keys BrightnessContrast and ColourBalance.

The key WindowPosition is what needs to be changed. With the above values:

ColourBalance will appear on the main screen

BrightnessContrast will appear on the second screen [ because of -725 ]

So by changing the BrightnessContrast -> WindowPosition to 535,40 it put the secondary screen back on the main display.

Problem fixed.

DavidK_LINY, Dec 15, 2014
  4. CountMike New Member

One one of two displays works -- hardware issue

It stands to reason that drivers and other SW will have a problem running of a damaged drive or file system.

CountMike, Dec 17, 2014
  5. That's true ... but I get forced CHKDSKs on the Win10 partition every time I reboot into Win8.1 -- and am still getting them, even though I changed to a new drive and did a clean install this time. So, with these happening all the time, it's really hard to tell if the drive is bad, or if this is the "usual" Win10 filesystem corruption problem.

And, I did a surface test on this new drive, which ran for hours, and did not find any problems with the drive. So, in this case, I am probably safe in presuming the drive itself is not bad.

Mark Phelps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

One one of two displays works -- hardware issue

1. One one of two displays works -- hardware issue - Similar Threads - displays works hardware

2. two users into ONE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    two users into ONE: My HP laptop was originally set up with two users. I would like to combine the two users into one, I am the only user, now. Is there a way - making sure all of the files from the one to disappear are preserved? See below....
  3. two users into ONE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two users into ONE: My HP laptop was originally set up with two users. I would like to combine the two users into one, I am the only user, now. Is there a way - making sure all of the files from the one to disappear are preserved? See below....
  4. One PC, two accounts, one licence?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    One PC, two accounts, one licence?: Hello there, I'd like to know if I need two separate Windows 10 licences if I want to use one PC but with two different A/D accounts. The background is that my company wants to give every employee one account with and one account without admin rights. Thank you for your...
  5. two tv's display from one laptop

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    two tv's display from one laptop: How can I make my two TV's view the same thing from my laptop by using wi-fi without HDMI cord? I can get one to work, but not both of them. 159184
  6. two tv's display from one laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    two tv's display from one laptop: How can I make my two TV's view the same thing from my laptop by using wi-fi without HDMI cord? I can get one to work, but not both of them. 159184
  7. graphics card still working ALWAYS for two displays EVEN one display s

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    graphics card still working ALWAYS for two displays EVEN one display s: I have NVIDIA EVGA GRX 650 TI and ASUS GRX 1050 TI in each of my two of my PCs For Monitor I have two monitors: one 4K 27" LG [HDMI/DP] and one monitor LG M2350D FHD connected to HDMI KVM Switch Configured as the two PCs in each PC can have two monitors usage - dual monitor...
  8. Two One Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two One Drives?: Just got a Windows tablet and everything is working pretty well. BUT Went to copy some files from One Drive that I had just sent from my desktop specifically for that purpose. When I logged into One Drive from the tablet it showed a whole different set of files than those I...
  9. Two monitors but only one display works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two monitors but only one display works: I have two monitors displaying the Windows 10 screen and all of my shortcut buttons. I have gone through display settings and extending the displays. I have them set up in the right sequence. When I click on the 2nd monitor, everything appears on the 1st monitor. I...
  10. One router,two networks, one public, one private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One router,two networks, one public, one private: I have a dual band router which I run with two SSIDS one for the 2.4GHz band (gaudi) and one for the 5GHz band (gaudi-5G). It also has ethernet ports. A laptop I just built has connected OK to gaudi-5G and the ethernet and recognises them both as one network which W10 has...