Windows 10: One router,two networks, one public, one private

Discus and support One router,two networks, one public, one private in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a dual band router which I run with two SSIDS one for the 2.4GHz band (gaudi) and one for the 5GHz band (gaudi-5G). It also has ethernet ports.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by perdrix, May 25, 2016.

1. perdrix Win User

One router,two networks, one public, one private

I have a dual band router which I run with two SSIDS one for the 2.4GHz band (gaudi) and one for the 5GHz band (gaudi-5G). It also has ethernet ports.

A laptop I just built has connected OK to gaudi-5G and the ethernet and recognises them both as one network which W10 has called "gaudi-5G".

The problem is that when connected to gaudi, that is shown as a separate network (called "gaudi") which is public and what's worse there seems no way to merge this into the gaudi-5G network (preferred) nor to make it private network (not so keen on this option).

Help!

Cheers
    Dave

:)

perdrix, May 25, 2016

2. Changing from a public network to a private one.

Thank god they corrected this mess in the anniversary update.

Vijay Rchandran., May 25, 2016
  3. Changing from a public network to a private one.

I guess the trend is to just ignore an issue if you don't have a solution, right?

Vijay.

Vijay Rchandran., May 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

No you cannot interconnect the two VLAN's into one, unless there is a setting for the Public/Guest to be able to see and connect to the other VLAN.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  5. perdrix Win User
    Huh - say what - I could do that in Windows 7 (merge networks)so it must be possible.

Dave

perdrix, May 25, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    No you cannot merge the two VLAN's for the hotspot on your computer. If the device is leased from your ISP. They have the Public Wifi to allow their users to use it. It does not use your Internet Connection if it is a ISP owned device.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  7. perdrix Win User
    I own the router

There's no public network there - just that Windows 10 has decided it was a "Public Network". To be completely clear all are the same private LAN with a wired network plus two wireless SSIDs.

Strangely I modified a BIOS setting to auto switch between wired and wireless ethernet, and when I rebooted, Windows recognised either wireless connection as belonging to the same "network" (i.e. gaudi-5G).

I'd still like to know how:

a) you can change the network type of a wireless connection to a private network (this is solved - I found https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/set-network-location-to-private-or-public-in-windows-10.9049/ ).

b) how to merge networks as was possible in W7 but seems to have gone in W10.

Dave

perdrix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. One router,two networks, one public, one private - Similar Threads - router networks public

2. Two Network. One VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Network. One VPN: i have two network on my pc. one for game and the other for streaming it. i went in advanced setting in OBS Studio app Streaming app and chose my second network to it and it will work. my first network for game and second only for stream but. when i use vpn. it will connect...
  3. One Drive public access

One Drive public access: Why do publicly shared files on One Drive often require a user to sign in to an MS account? Google Drive and similar servers don't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-public-access/ac6882e7-53d9-44bc-91c0-adb923ee4c7c
  4. Creating two networks Public/Private with one wifi router

Creating two networks Public/Private with one wifi router: Hi all. I want to create a wifi network where I can share across all of my private devices. Then, another wifi network that my guests can access for internet only. Do I need two routers for this? Or, are there some good routers out there to do that sort of thing? If you can...
  5. One PC, two accounts, one licence?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    One PC, two accounts, one licence?: Hello there, I'd like to know if I need two separate Windows 10 licences if I want to use one PC but with two different A/D accounts. The background is that my company wants to give every employee one account with and one account without admin rights. Thank you for your...
  6. Can't connect one computer to a functioning Public Network

Can't connect one computer to a functioning Public Network: I am working with a public network at our church. Our host computer BECKY-NEW contains all of the data. Five client computers can access and update that data using mapped network drives. The workgroup is called HOMEWOOD. All six of these computers can see each other....
  7. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  8. the two routers one ssid problem

the two routers one ssid problem: Today i was trying to configure my TV Smartbox (Horizon mediabox from Ziggo), which is also a router, to match the same SSID as my modem. To explain the situation: - I run a cable from the modem to the TV Smartbox router - Turned off DHCP on the TV Smartbox router -...
  9. one drive on two computers: one nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    one drive on two computers: one nothing: and now there is a new error: Session "Cloud Files Diagnostic Event Listener" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022
  10. Trying to network share two HDDs; one will, one won't

Trying to network share two HDDs; one will, one won't: I have three physical HDDs on my windows 10 computer Drive 0 = C: system drive Drive 1 = D: Data drive Drive 2 = T: Dropbox drive The two drives I want to share on the network are D: and T: I have set up sharing for both but I cannot access T: from any other...