Windows 10: One sub folder in Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER wont save modify since update

Discus and support One sub folder in Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER wont save modify since update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey All - Any sage advice your have, I'll take it. I've been an avid Win 8.1 user for years, refusing to upgrade just because of stories I had heard.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jenmay, Feb 1, 2018.

1. jenmay Win User

One sub folder in Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER wont save modify since update

Hey All - Any sage advice your have, I'll take it. I've been an avid Win 8.1 user for years, refusing to upgrade just because of stories I had heard. Well OK, also because I just liked 8.1. Certainly not because I don't like change, NOPE! Fine, I admit I don't like emoji's, I like ; ) I use classic shell and I desperately want the "right click" "select all"back in Word anyway, you get the point. But last week I decided to get on with it and try it. I bought Win 10 over a year ago and it's been on the shelf glaring down at me ever since. As a result I have an older version of Win 10 Home, which resulted in 6 hours of updating and upgrading. I know this issue may seem like a itty bitty small thing, but it drives me batty!

My ROG G751 defaults with the numloc OFF. I prefer to have the default ON. I have learned through having to redo it a bazillion times (updating and upgrading) now exactly what to change for it to work and believe me it took quite some time to even arrive at this solution as there are a ton of "working solutions" for this small change but this is the only the way that worked for this laptop. It worked in 8.1 but I have not been able to modify it and make it work since Win 10 Home or Pro.

In regedit I modify HKEY_CURRENT_USER under Control Panel, Keyboard, InitialKeyboardIndicators from it's current value of 2147483648 to a 2. I make this same change in HKEY__USERS, DEFAULT also under Control Panel, Keyboard, InitialKeyboardIndicators . I then change the next 4 under DEFAULT ( S-1-*) in the same manner. Reboot, come back it worked for my PIN but once at the desktop the numloc was no longer the default. So I went back into regedit and noticed that the change I had made didn't save in HKEY_CURRENT_USER but had saved in the others. So I made the modifications again. Reboot and same thing, it had saved all but the first one in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    So, I went back into regedit and instead of modifying the number string with a 2, I changed the last 2 numbers of the string (2147483648) to 50. I know it shouldn't matter but thought I'd try. Reboot and the same. Had saved all but the 1st one under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I checked the permissions and they looked right I'm pretty sure.

Any thoughts?
    Jen

:)

jenmay, Feb 1, 2018

2. When I move My Files To New Internal Drive, Folder Icons That I've Set Disappear

Hi,

The reason why the icon wont copy because its a different file location and will automatically set to default ones the folder/files went out the drive. We tried to re create the issue and we found this:

• Moving/copying a modified icon folder from a drive to another set the folder icon back to default.
    • Moving/copying modified icon folder from a drive to any sub folder with in the drive will not set the icon to default.
    Regards.

Angelo Bar, Feb 1, 2018
  3. TracyFinn Win User
    File Explorer Sort Customization

Louie - thank you for the feedback. However, I'm still struggling to accomplish my objective. I have extensive document files separated into folders with sub-folders and sub-sub-folders. Within each folder or sub-folder there are generally a dozen or more
    sub-sub folders and 50-200 files that are not grouped. In opening File Explorer, I'd like to see categories or folders listed above files and have each section listed by date modified. In other words, folders A - Z listed by date modified followed by files,
    again listed by date modified. Within each folder, sub-folders listed by date modified followed by files, again listed by date modified.

I've had success accomplishing this type of listing in prior versions of Windows but haven't gotten the hang of it in Windows 10. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

TracyFinn, Feb 1, 2018
  4. One sub folder in Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER wont save modify since update

FreeBooter, Feb 1, 2018
  5. jenmay Win User
    Thank you very much. Learn something new everyday and I hadn't known this. I'll go check it out now and hopefully I can come and mark this solved!

Jen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I'm back. Disabled fast boot restarted made the modification. Saved and restarted. Came back the modification was gone. So I logged off and rebooted to ensure I had saved BIOS settings. Indeed fast boot is off and it still didn't make the modification. There must be something else that's overriding the modifications . It really makes no sense that 4 keys could be modified and saved and 1 is not. Thanks for the try though.

If you think of something else I'm game.

Regards, Jen

jenmay, Feb 2, 2018
  6. Somewhere online I found this Autohotkey script. It does the trick: Code: ; NumLock Enforcer - Monitors the Num Lock key ... turns it back on after someone turns it off ; Request: Force NUMLOCK always on - DonationCoder.com appname=NumLock Enforcer SetTimer, EnforceNumLock, 500 return EnforceNumLock: NumLockStatus := GetKeyState("Numlock", "T") IfEqual, NumLockStatus, 0 { SetNumLockState, On ;TrayTip,%appname%,NumLock Status = On,,1 ; UNCOMMENT THIS LINE IF YOU WANT SOME KIND OF FEEDBACK } return ; Win+p pauses the script,just in case you need the NumLock. #p:One sub folder in Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER wont save modify since update :pause[/quote]

margrave55, Feb 3, 2018
  7. First time ever that NUM Lock works in Win Ten. Thanks for opening this thread.

The given link is not clear regarding Regedit. Searching registry with the following works:

InitialKeyboardIndicators

InitialKeyboardIndicators/F3/Force search

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\control Panel\Keyboard/InitialKeyboardIndicators/2

The value was already at 2.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel'Keyboard/InitialKeyboardIndicators/2

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Control Panel\Keyboard/InitialKeyboardIndicators /2

-Exit and Shut down

-Boot to login screen and enable the NUM Lock key (check if working) and shut down without entering password.

No need to disable fast startup. Works in 16299 and 17083.

17083.1000 shows this:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Control Panel\Keyboard

All the best,

Edit: F10/BIOS/Advanced/Device options/NUM Lock State at Power-On/On

MikeMecanic, Feb 3, 2018
  8. One sub folder in Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER wont save modify since update

Machine is dual boot, no side effect on both sides. NUM Lock keyboard is permanently enable at the login screen.

There must be something you do wrong or a value(s) that was changed that prevents the registry from memorizing* the new value.

MikeMecanic, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

One sub folder in Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER wont save modify since update

1. One sub folder in Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER wont save modify since update - Similar Threads - sub folder Hive

2. Folder not updating modified timestamp

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder not updating modified timestamp: When I change contents in a sub folder, I expect date modified should go to the parent folders. But the modified information only ascends 1 level. Is there any way to increase the depth of the update so that the top level folders are showing the latest timestamp of files...
  3. Folder not updating modified timestamp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder not updating modified timestamp: When I change contents in a sub folder, I expect date modified should go to the parent folders. But the modified information only ascends 1 level. Is there any way to increase the depth of the update so that the top level folders are showing the latest timestamp of files...
  4. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  5. Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order: When selecting Onedrive local storage to sort by date modified, it seems Windows take in to consideration only the immediate layer. 0th layer I guess. how to trigger parent folder modified date when the modification happens higher levels where layer is greater than 0....
  6. One drive not copying over sub-folders

One drive not copying over sub-folders: So I've recently started using One drive. My photos are stored in folders e.g Photo -> Travel -> Destination. When trying to copy the entire photo folder across to one drive it only copies the the names of the sub-folders but not the photo files. Is there a setting that has...
  7. One folder versus multiple sub folders

One folder versus multiple sub folders: Hi All, I run Win 10 latest version on I7 and 16GB I have a large folder containing all my pictures 25000 under D:\Photos. Question : What is the safest and more efficient recommandation: 1: One large folder with all files or 2: multiple sub folders with 500 files max per...
  8. Modify "Save As" Choices?

Modify "Save As" Choices?: "Save As" offers: Quick access Desktop Libraries This PC Network However, I find myself frequently navigating from This PC down to my home directory. The main question I have is: "How can I put my home directory in this list or at least in Libraries or Quick...
  9. Unable to save anything to Document folder and sub folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to save anything to Document folder and sub folder: I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro using the method outlined here. Basically I used an ISO which I made via a download from MS. Now I am unable to save any kind of file to my Document folder or sub-folder. I get access denied. Looks like MS lied again. This method was to save...
  10. Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified: The "date modified" attribute only updates when a file in the root of a folder is modified. But it does not update if a file in a sub-folder is modified. Is there an attribute that will show when the contents of sub-folders are modified? 119355