Windows 10: One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive

Discus and support One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Folks, There is something very odd going on with JUST ONE of my USB 3 ports (one of the two on the front panel) on my new system that has a "clean"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wbrells, Mar 5, 2016.

1. wbrells Win User

One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive

Folks,

There is something very odd going on with JUST ONE of my USB 3 ports (one of the two on the front panel) on my new system that has a "clean" install of Win 10 Pro. A few days ago I tried to use that port and Windows did not recognize any USB drive that I inserted. There were no error messages and Device Manager was not complaining about anything (and did not "see" the drive). I was about to assume that this was a hardware problem and that something had gone wrong on the motherboard. (I believe - but I'm not positive - that this port was working fine when I first got the system...)

As a final test, however, I tried booting the system from a Macrium Reflect "recovery" USB drive that I had made some time ago. [This was a Verbatim drive - see below.] Amazingly, I was able to "boot" perfectly from the supposedly-dead USB port! Then, after restarting the system with Windows 10, I inserted that same USB drive and it was recognized then also. BUT still no other USB drives are recognized. [Not quite correct - see below.] All other USB 3 & USB 2 ports work fine, so I assume the USB driver is fine.

Would anyone have an idea what my be happening and/or how I might trace down this odd behavior?

Thanks, Wayne

UPDATE: I've just discovered that one type of flash drive always seems to work in the "problem" port! Specifically, all of the 8GB USB 3 Verbatim 8 GB Store 'n' Go flash drives that I've tried have worked perfectly in this port. (There doesn't seem to be anything special about this flash drive - it is a quite inexpensive model and is not overly fast.) No other devices - including many different USB 2 flash drives, a portable USB 3 hard drive, and a wireless mouse adapter - are even detected when plugged into that port. One USB flash drive that I tried includes a light which, when things are working correctly, comes on for a few seconds and then flickers when data is being transferred. On the "problem" port the light comes on and stays on permanently...

:)

wbrells, Mar 5, 2016
  2. chen ke Win User

My laptop doesn't connect with phone or USB it not show anything after connecting it with laptop

I have the same prolem on my Lenovo ideapad Laptop. One USB port cannot be used. I used wireless mouse and had to plug receiver into USB port. One port just do not work. It work on other ports. But this non-working port can be connected to some external
    drive (not all brands). Samsung Note phone totally not recognisable in all 3 ports.

chen ke, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Only one USB port works

It would be worth getting the latest chipset drivers from HP in the first instance - if you're using the wrong or old drivers without realising then anything could happen.

MarkInKent, Mar 5, 2016
Thema:

One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive

1. One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive - Similar Threads - USB port works

2. Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.: I have an Asus Vivobook 15 X512JP running Windows 10 Home. Suddenly the 2 left side USB ports stopped working. Only the right side port works. I already tried uninstalling and installing the USB Drivers....
  3. Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.: I have an Asus Vivobook 15 X512JP running Windows 10 Home. Suddenly the 2 left side USB ports stopped working. Only the right side port works. I already tried uninstalling and installing the USB Drivers....
  4. Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. One USB port stopped working.

One USB port stopped working.: On my Acer Travelmate model P259-MG. operating Windows 10, I have always used the right hand USB port Black for the dongle of my wireless mouse. yesterday it was in and working, I had to leave the computer for a while and when I came back the mouse didn't work, or any usb...
  6. Only one USB port not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only one USB port not working.: My HP Notebok Laptop is currently running on Windows 11 home edition which I purchased two weeks ago.There are 2 USB ports in my laptop,but only 1 port is functional while other port is only giving power.The malfunctioned port is not detecting or showing devices on MYPC,it...
  7. Only one USB port not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only one USB port not working.: My HP Notebok Laptop is currently running on Windows 11 home edition which I purchased two weeks ago.There are 2 USB ports in my laptop,but only 1 port is functional while other port is only giving power.The malfunctioned port is not detecting or showing devices on MYPC,it...
  8. one USB port not work

one USB port not work: HI i have a question,my laptop HP Pavilion dv6700 have 3 USB ports, 2 ports working graet,only one port not working,ivoltage,have the 5.12volts,but the laptop not recogniced,ichec the drivers ,I uninstall all drivers,then restart the PC,all the drivers are OK, the PC work...
  9. Only one USB port will work on my computer

Only one USB port will work on my computer: Yesterday my computer was working fine, but earlier today I noticed that my mouse wasn't working. So I tried it on a different computer and it worked, then I came back to my computer and tried to get it working again. For some reason, it only works when it's plugged into the...
  10. Strange problem with one USB 3.0 port and one USB flash stick

Strange problem with one USB 3.0 port and one USB flash stick: Not sure this can be fixed as a "windows 10" matter, but here goes: i have a lexar 8gb USB 3.0 flash drive. i have used it for many things and formatted it different ways and on different laptops. most recently i used it as the 'install windows 10' media. yesterday i...