Windows 10: One user account stopped booting to Windows Desktop and Start Screen

Discus and support One user account stopped booting to Windows Desktop and Start Screen in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Yes, it's often too difficult or time consuming to repair a user profile. Creating a new one is the quickest and least stressful solution. Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Bree, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

One user account stopped booting to Windows Desktop and Start Screen

Yes, it's often too difficult or time consuming to repair a user profile. Creating a new one is the quickest and least stressful solution.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
  2. balein Win User

I have a Chillblast Desktop PC running Windows 10 Home. The PC had not been used for 3 weeks while I was on vacation. On returning it downloaded the latest Windows Updates and (I think) tried to install them over night. When I tried to use the PC this morning the main user account was working OK, but showed a Windows Update Database corruption which had caused the KB4093112 update to fail. There were also some failed App updates showing in Store. Meanwhile I am now no longer able to login to the second user account - the login screen comes up, and I can enter password and login, but the Desktop and Start Screen does not appear and I have a black screen wit only the mouse pointer showing.. If I press Ctrl Alt Del I can access the Task Manager which shows the account logged in, but something is stopping the Windows Desktop and Start Screen displaying. Through Task Manager I have been able to open an Explorer window and also an IE browser, but am not able to access any of the Troubleshooters as these all run within the Settings App. I have fixed the Windows Update Corruption using the Troubleshooter and have now installed KB4093112, but I still cannot access the second user account.

Is there any way I can fix this User Account problem short of deleting the account and recreating it?

:)

balein, Apr 17, 2018
  3. Age of Empires Castle Siege does not start on Windows 10

Age of Empires Castle Siege starts okay on one account but does not start at all on two other accounts on the same desktop. I select it from Start menu and click on icon does not do anything. I tried reinstalling app and did not help. I made account admin
    and it still cannot run Castle Siege. I believe app stopped starting after app update. Still starts on one of three user accounts though. How can I make this work on all 3 user accounts?

developer300, Apr 17, 2018
  4. Anne Fuj Win User

Edge Stopped loading on one user account, and computer stalls on sign out or account switching

Hi Mark,

To help you fix this, we suggest that you follow the steps provided here in this

how to repair System Files which SFC and
    DSIM can't.

Let us see how it goes.

Anne Fuj, Apr 17, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    You should be able to open the Settings app from the Task Manager too. In its run box type ms-settings: or for the Troublshooter page it's ms-settings:troubleshoot

See this tutorial for more: Settings Pages List of URI Shortcuts in Windows 10

Using Task Manager to run explorer.exe will open as File Manager if the explorer process that's supposed to display the desktop is already running. If no explorer process is running, then the first time you open explorer.exe it should display the desktop then opening it a second time runs as File Manager . This tutorial tells you how to restart that first explorer process, there's a chance that it may bring back the desktop back when it restarts.

Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10

6. balein Win User
    Thanks for this information - I had unsuccessfully tried to restart explorer.exe from Task Manager, so in the end I deleted and recreated the problem account and everything is working fine now.

balein, Apr 19, 2018
Thema:

1. One user account stopped booting to Windows Desktop and Start Screen - Similar Threads - user account stopped

2. Problem only on one Windows user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem only on one Windows user account: I bought a video game from Steam last week: Dying Light 2. When I launched the game, when it didn't crash instantly, I would be able to navigate the menu and start a game but when the game start, I can only see the HUD everything else was black. I have hundreds of games and...
  3. Problem only on one Windows user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem only on one Windows user account: I bought a video game from Steam last week: Dying Light 2. When I launched the game, when it didn't crash instantly, I would be able to navigate the menu and start a game but when the game start, I can only see the HUD everything else was black. I have hundreds of games and...
  4. Windows start button does not work in one user account StartMenuExperienceHost.exe crashes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows start button does not work in one user account StartMenuExperienceHost.exe crashes: Hello,I want to reopen this discussion, which was already closed:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-does-not-work-in-one-user/823466a8-55e2-4d92-8712-6d4702f0740c?page=2For years I have the same problem on one Windows 10 installation,...
  5. HOW TO BOOT WINDOWS 10 TO START SCREEN INSTEAD OF DESKTOP

HOW TO BOOT WINDOWS 10 TO START SCREEN INSTEAD OF DESKTOP: Before myriad 'improvements' to Win 10, there used to be a way to change startup options using Task Bar properties. That's no longer there. MSCONFIG and Settings appear to have nothing. I rarely go to my Desktop unless I'm using an app. It would be highly convenient if...
  6. Replaced One of my users with Desktop.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replaced One of my users with Desktop.: I was originally trying to change my user to another drive because I wanted it on my D drive instead of C and I somehow replaced my user with desktop but it is still inside the user folder. I am also having issues with my windows key not doing what it is supposed to do now...
  7. Windows 10 Start Screen Account User Photo

Windows 10 Start Screen Account User Photo: I deleted my photo in account, personal info, and now the Lock Screen background shows a black circle. How do I delete? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-screen-account-user-photo/f1bd6b32-eeb4-4769-bc78-25ab6c8b2bbc
  8. Multiple Users One Desktop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Multiple Users One Desktop?: Hello, can I share my desktop with several users at the same time? and have 2 or 3 friends or even more operate a PC or VM for me? If so, how and what tools are needed to make it reasonably safe ;) Mehrere Benutzer Ein Desktop?
  9. Booting to Start Screen

Booting to Start Screen: Hello, how can I make Windows 10 boot to start screen automatically like it did in WIndows 8.1? 16447
  10. user accounts at windows start

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    user accounts at windows start: When I reboot my computer there are two user accounts I can choose from (which we will call user1 and user2). I use user2, and user1 comes up by default. When I run netplwiz there is only one user for this computer, and the user name is "test". Under this user account window...