Windows 10: One window in Win 10 behaves strangely

Discus and support One window in Win 10 behaves strangely in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, One of the windows on my desktop behaves strangely - or rather: its shortcut (to a folder). When I double-click on that shortcut, it opens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by haku, Jan 24, 2016.

1. haku Win User

One window in Win 10 behaves strangely

Hello,

One of the windows on my desktop behaves strangely - or rather: its shortcut (to a folder). When I double-click on that shortcut, it opens normally. But, with that window still open (and/or minimized), when I double-click the shortcut again, a new window of the same folder opens. And this is repeated with every other same operation.

Now, when I double-click/open the same folder directly from its location, everything is normal. I.e., when I double-click again on the folder-on-its-location to open it, it opens using the already open item.

No other shortcut to either file, program or folder behaves that way. So, I guess something must be changed to the properties of that shortcut. But what?

Thanks for a solution...

:)

2. Trackpad two-finger scroll behaves strangely

My new laptop has a great trackpad, only sometimes it doesn't do two finger scroll like normal. Most of the time it scrolls (like dragging the scrollbar up and down) inside the window like it is supposed to, but sometimes it pulls and drags the whole window
    of whatever is active up and down a little bit. Even if it is maximised, it will be pulled slightly out of the way so I can see the desktop behind it a little bit. If I let go of the trackpad at this point it will snap back to normal.

This is incredibly frustrating with some applications - for instance Photoshop wont scroll up or down on anything, and always pulls the whole window, which is incredibly unhelpful if I have to work on an image on the go.

Any idea how to change this? I've looked through every option in the control panel and I can't find anything that mentions this crazy kind of behaviour...

CharlieMozzie, Jan 24, 2016
  3. Ken W. P. Win User
    Trackpad two-finger scroll behaves strangely

My laptop does the same thing. I've also notice the blue circle next to the pointer pops up every few seconds like something is running. I just did a Windows update which is when it started. I'm sure that is the cause but I would like the problem fixed
    without having to uninstall the updates.

Ken W. P., Jan 24, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Hi. I can't really make out your image. Please could you repost it following this guide.

Can you also right click on your shortcut link and select properties, then post a screenshot of the first tab.

swarfega, Jan 24, 2016
  5. haku Win User
    Will do and include 2nd tab, too. It's in Dutch but disposition is = to English.

Thanks for quick reaction!

H

6. lx07 Win User
    I get the same as you (opens multiple times) if I browse to downloads and create a shortcut through right click > send to > desktop (create shortcut) like this:

One window in Win 10 behaves strangely [​IMG]

It works as expected however (only opens the folder once) if I create a shortcut to downloads by right click on desktop > create shortcut then browse to downloads. Through this box I mean..

One window in Win 10 behaves strangely [​IMG]

The details on all properties tabs are identical except the name and the size. The first one is 1.19kb and the second is 793 bytes.

Very strange. How did you make your shortcut?

7. haku Win User
    Hi,

A great many thanks for all replies. I found the solution to the problem meanwhile - although solution suggested by Ix07 works too.

My "mistake" was to make a shortcut from my "This PC" folder where one of the "download" folders in question is located. "One of the" because it appears that I have another copy (not a shortcut) of this folder in "Libraries" coming with the Win 10 install (as it did with Win 7). When making a shortcut from that "downloads" folder, the problem is resolved. Lo and behold, no more multiple sessions of the same folder! Mystery: why this strange behaviour?

Thanks again.

H

haku, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. One window in Win 10 behaves strangely - Similar Threads - window behaves strangely

2. Windows 11 terminal behaving strangely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 terminal behaving strangely: Windows 11 terminal keeps writing this non stop then goes away automatically and starts again in a bit, MATPE 25932 with x = 4 A[0]= A[1] A[2] = A[3] = A[4] = A[S] = PX+1-PX = 612 with x = 1 10284 with x = 3 25932 with x = 4...
  3. Windows 11 terminal behaving strangely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 terminal behaving strangely: Windows 11 terminal keeps writing this non stop then goes away automatically and starts again in a bit, MATPE 25932 with x = 4 A[0]= A[1] A[2] = A[3] = A[4] = A[S] = PX+1-PX = 612 with x = 1 10284 with x = 3 25932 with x = 4...
  4. Windows Mail behaves strangely?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail behaves strangely?: Hi, I use windows mail but over time it's got weirder and weirder! I use Win Insider build 21277. 1 Sometimes when I start the app it close unexpected 2 I can't add more than 2 google accounts Please help me! Poul Erik Rasmussen...
  5. Windows explorer is behaving very strange

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows explorer is behaving very strange: A few weeks ago I started having problems with the explorer. One day it started lagging a lot, freezing and stuff. Then, every time I selected a file it would completely freeze but not showing "Not responding". Later, I stopped having this problem but after a few days I had...
  6. Razer keyboard behaving strangely on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Razer keyboard behaving strangely on windows 10: As the title suggests , I have a Razer Anansi keyboard and it works fine....except on startup. Basically, my user on the PC is password protected and so when I open my PC and type in my password my keyboard does some very weird stuff. As an example , when I press 'K' it...
  7. Windows 10 Calculator behaves strange!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Calculator behaves strange!!!: I just found out something strange regarding the windows 10 calculator and am posting a video regarding it: https://youtu.be/JLMJXajzkw0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-calculator-behaves-strange/ce0ecd87-6fc4-4c59-8b8c-f1b182fc8ac2
  8. Windows everything is behaving strangely.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows everything is behaving strangely.: So after installing a Windows 10 update, my computer started behaving strangely. Namely, the taskbar is unresponsive, all my applications on it are gone, and it literally doesn't work. The start menu, wifi, and other utilities wont open and they won't even be highlighted when...
  9. Keyboard behaves strange on windows 10

Keyboard behaves strange on windows 10: Hi. I'm using Windows 10 and today I noticed that when I press the alt button it behaves very strange. For example when I press alt button when chrome is active windows first time it types "\ g" and in address bar activates google search. Second time I press alt button it...
  10. Left Shift Behaving Strangely

Left Shift Behaving Strangely: hi, I have a Asus VivoBook s15 510UA that i purchased 7 months back. But from the last 1 week i am having a really strange issue with my K/B. let me explain this a bit. this Laptop doesn't have any number pad/ numeric key set. So when i am talking about number keys i am...