Windows 10: One workgroup pc suddenly not cooperating with the others

Discus and support One workgroup pc suddenly not cooperating with the others in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a four-computer network that generally works well. On each pc's desktop there are four icons for the four pcs that each contain icons that allow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stony41, May 20, 2017.

1. stony41 Win User

One workgroup pc suddenly not cooperating with the others

I have a four-computer network that generally works well. On each pc's desktop there are four icons for the four pcs that each contain icons that allow easy file transfer between the pcs. Mostly I back up audio and video files on more than one pc.

This backing-up process has worked very well for several years, but recently one pc has misbehaved. It began yesterday by displaying an icon for a folder that belonged on another pc, and today the icon for the pc concerned refuses to open at all, on any pc. Another issue is that the pc not being displayed properly is downstairs, which is most inconvenient.

I am now unsure exactly how I set up this convenient icon system and Google searching so far hasn't helped to provide any assistance.

My aim is to restore an icon for the downstairs pc on each pc that works again.

My apologies if my description of my network icon setup is unclear but it is a simple system that is hard to describe in words.

Does anyone have a similar setup and can help me to restore the icons for the offending pc?

:)

stony41, May 20, 2017
  2. Daanco17 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update Homegroup Problem - Not Joined Anymore or Not Recognizing Homegroup

Solution for multiple network pcs all on the same workgroup that can no longer see each other. In the event of only one pc, add another pc to the same wireless or wired network.

Goto one of these pcs that was not the original workgroup pc and give it a new workgroup name. Then change all the other network pcs and other media to this new workgroup. Reshare all network drives.

Daanco17, May 20, 2017
  3. sato_slp Win User
    Switch from Homegroup to Workgroup

Hello, I had 4 W7 PCs in a Workgroup WiFi network, sharing files, Internet connection and printers each other, one of those W7 PCs was upgraded to Windows 10, and it have Homegroup instead of Workgroup, it can connect to WiFi and Internet, but can't connect
    into Workgroup so it cant share folders and devices, I suspect it's because it have Homegroup instead of Workgroup, is there a way to switch this PC to Workgroup? thanks

sato_slp, May 20, 2017
  4. stony41 Win User

I still can't fathom how to fix my network icon issue with one of my machines, but I have turned to TeamViewer as an alternative. I use 'TV' to turn off the computers not in my office and so I have turned to it for file transfer as well. Works just as well as using Explorer. Just open the remote pc and drop the file(s) being transferred.

But I still want to work out why my 'icon method' has failed.

stony41, May 21, 2017
  5. naikodi Win User
    give fixed ip address to each system . so that I will not pickup new ip address everytime you boot.

naikodi, May 21, 2017
  6. stony41 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, naikodi. I have never had to use fixed addresses in the past, but will keep this in mind.

As I have said, I can carry on sharing files with this computer using TeamViewer.

I have discussed the issue briefly with a friend who used to run government networks and he will be taking a look at this issue on site.

stony41, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. One workgroup pc suddenly not cooperating with the others - Similar Threads - workgroup suddenly cooperating

2. Suddenly one PC out of four can't connect to others, and others can't connect to it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly one PC out of four can't connect to others, and others can't connect to it.: I have four PCs networked, 2 with Win 11 and 2 with Win 10.One is a defacto file server FS that the three others connect to shared drives. It's running Win 11. The two that can connect to it without a problem are Win 10 machines.The one that cannot, all of a sudden without...
  3. Suddenly one PC out of four can't connect to others, and others can't connect to it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suddenly one PC out of four can't connect to others, and others can't connect to it.: I have four PCs networked, 2 with Win 11 and 2 with Win 10.One is a defacto file server FS that the three others connect to shared drives. It's running Win 11. The two that can connect to it without a problem are Win 10 machines.The one that cannot, all of a sudden without...
  4. One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.: 1 PC one is connecting wirelessly to a TP-Link access point.2 The TP-Link is wired to an ethernet switch3 PC two is wired to the same ethernet switch4 PC one is running Windows 11 Pro5 PC two is running Windows 10 Pro6 PC one has an IP Address like 192.160.1.107 PC two has an...
  5. One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.: 1 PC one is connecting wirelessly to a TP-Link access point.2 The TP-Link is wired to an ethernet switch3 PC two is wired to the same ethernet switch4 PC one is running Windows 11 Pro5 PC two is running Windows 10 Pro6 PC one has an IP Address like 192.160.1.107 PC two has an...
  6. Windows suddenly will not detect one montior. The other one flickers!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows suddenly will not detect one montior. The other one flickers!: I left my PC running last night which I dont normally do and my main monitor now cant be detected by windows and my secondary monitor flickers every few seconds and when it flickers the screen kind of refreshes, my cursor goes away for a second, it stops recognizing...
  7. PC seen by only one other machine on network workgroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC seen by only one other machine on network workgroup: I have four computers on my network under Network in File Explorer. Laptop1 can see Desktop2, Laptop1, Laptop2. Desktop2 can see Desktop2, Laptop1, Laptop2. Desktop1 can see Desktop2, Laptop1, Laptop2. Laptop2 can see Desktop2, Laptop1, Laptop2, and Desktop1. All four...
  8. I can't see other Pc's in my workgroup

I can't see other Pc's in my workgroup: I worder if there is a service which isn't running on my Pc because I can't see my streaming unit or any other Pc's in my workgroup. The Pc is new and on my laptop I can see the units in my workgroup but not on this Pc. I have compared the two Pc's sharing configuration and I...
  9. Windows 10 PC unable to view other computer in the workgroup

Windows 10 PC unable to view other computer in the workgroup: Dear All, I am having problem of not able to view other computer in my workgroup. Other computer in my workgroup able to view me. FYI, file & network sharing is already activated. Even firewall is off. Kindly reply if have solutions. Tq....
  10. Windows 10 PC can't see other shares in Workgroup

Windows 10 PC can't see other shares in Workgroup: We set up our small business network as a Workgroup awhile ago with all Windows XP computers. Some have been since upgraded to Windows 7, others to Windows 10. The most important issue is a folder on an XP machine that all others in the network need to be able to access....