Windows 10: OneDrive and open Word docs

Discus and support OneDrive and open Word docs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Okay, so I am using the native OneDrive app for my cloud storage. Now let's say I am working on a Word doc, (in Office 2016, i.e., I am using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by shmu26, Jul 3, 2017.

1. shmu26 Win User

OneDrive and open Word docs

Okay, so I am using the native OneDrive app for my cloud storage.
    Now let's say I am working on a Word doc, (in Office 2016, i.e., I am using the regular desktop Office suite), and I have the doc open for a couple hours straight.
    In the course of that time, I make a lot of changes, and I want those changes to sync to the cloud, so my doc will be backed up.
    So how do I do that?
    It seems like as long as the Word doc is open, OneDrive will not sync changes to the cloud, even if I hit the save button in Word.
    Am I doing something wrong?

:)

shmu26, Jul 3, 2017
  2. SamCSWong Win User

Windows 10 "Sync your settings" disabled after Fall Creators Update

No Reset Security Policies there.

Imagine, someone needed access to a Word doc in O365 OneDrive. He opened the file on web and selected Edit in Word. Word opened and he typed in his O365 login credentials and edited the file in Word on his local PC.

But this disabled Sync settings on his own PC....

How wise is Microsoft..

SamCSWong, Jul 3, 2017
  3. Why are some of my WORD docs suddenly not openable after Linking PC to OneDrive but not doing anything else?

Thanks. I think I'd like to try the first step of changing the setting in WORD & in Excel so that they don't try to use OneDrive in the background and I'll just leave it in Windows in case I change my mind later.

What I do think is still really weird is that this mess only happens to me on some docs when I try to open them from File Explorer but the doc right next to it will open just fine.

Do you have any possible explanation for that, especially given that, as I've said, all of my docs are on my computer and nothing is on OneDrive?

Jeff A. Davis, Jul 3, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

It probably won't sync until you have closed the document unless you are opening/working directly on the file that is stored on OneDrive. But you might check your autosave settings in Word, mine are for 10 minutes but then I don't use the cloud, work directly in My Documents/Documents.

Berton, Jul 3, 2017
  5. shmu26 Win User
    Even if I open the file directly from the OneDrive cloud, I get the same behavior. It doesn't sync changes until I close the document.
    Autosave does not trigger a save, and not even a manual save.

Well, I tried it again, and I think you are right, now the changes seem to save to the cloud, if I open the doc directly from the cloud. I don't know what went wrong last time I tried it...

Now I see that this time, the Microsoft Office Upload Center is showing in the system tray. That was missing, last time.

shmu26, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. OneDrive and open Word docs - Similar Threads - OneDrive open Word

2. why word docs open as wordpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why word docs open as wordpad: when i open a word doc it opens as word appi am unfamiliar with word app and do not wish to use it as i can not see formattinghow can i remove word app and replace with word doc as a defultwhen i search, i cannot even find MS Word as an option on my laptop...
  3. why word docs open as wordpad

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    why word docs open as wordpad: when i open a word doc it opens as word appi am unfamiliar with word app and do not wish to use it as i can not see formattinghow can i remove word app and replace with word doc as a defultwhen i search, i cannot even find MS Word as an option on my laptop...
  4. Word Doc opens in read-only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word Doc opens in read-only: I am the owner of a MS 365 account. I have created a file on my desktop and uploaded it into my OneDrive. The file is NOT marked as Read-Only, On One-Drive online I can open, read, and edit the file. However, on my Android tablet, where I am logged into the exact same 365...
  5. Word Doc opens in read-only

Word Doc opens in read-only: I am the owner of a MS 365 account. I have created a file on my desktop and uploaded it into my OneDrive. The file is NOT marked as Read-Only, On One-Drive online I can open, read, and edit the file. However, on my Android tablet, where I am logged into the exact same 365...
  6. Help!! Can’t open word docs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help!! Can’t open word docs: Hi, I have windows 365 and I having been trying to open a important word doc which is due tomorrow. But a Dialgue box comes up and says ‘ Word found on readable content in elder3D.docs. Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust sources document, click...
  7. Can't open a Word Doc.

Can't open a Word Doc.: Can't open a Word Doc saved less than 24 hours ago. The message I get is file is either deleted or not available at this time. I didn't delete it. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-a-word-doc/6c951d89-266a-4331-853f-4c10aa286679
  8. opening a word doc

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening a word doc: since purchasing and installing Adobe, When I open a document in word i have about 3 signs coming up - eg: File not found: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/MACPDFM/MacPDFM.framework/Versions/A/MacPDFM How do I stop this?...
  9. I am unable to open word doc or create word docs

I am unable to open word doc or create word docs: I am unable top open any Docs at all- it is like I have never had Widows 10 that is the only program I have ever had on the computer how can I fix it please? All updates and security are done...
  10. how to open this doc as word doc?

how to open this doc as word doc?: This document was originally opened as a notepad document, so it opens that way always. I would like to change it to a Word document. Is that possible?...