Windows 10: OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents.

Discus and support OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, everyone. I've trying out the new preview, 10240. Everything works fine except for the default documents folder (and the same for Images). As my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Draven4, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Draven4 Win User

OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents.

Hi, everyone.
    I've trying out the new preview, 10240. Everything works fine except for the default documents folder (and the same for Images). As my screenshots reveal, by default the documents and images folder are the ones with OneDrive.
    (My system is in Spanish, but it seems self-explanatory, I believe)

OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents. [​IMG]

After some examination, I located the "Storage" section in the new settings window and I see that the default folder for Documents is OneDrive. However, after I set to "This PC (Drive C)" it doesn't do anything, as as soon as I close the window, the option reverts back to OneDrive.

OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents. [​IMG]

I actually like and use OneDrive, and I had no problems with it with Win8.1. So I don't want to disable it.
    Thanks. Any help is appreciated!

:)

Draven4, Jul 25, 2015
  2. ChuckWM Win User

Windows 10 Default Path for Documents - Changing from OneDrive to User location

How do I change the default path definition for "Documents" from my OneDrive location C:\Users\...\OneDrive\Documents

to C:\Users\...\Documents

The default for everything is OneDrive and I don't want that. I want the file explore to point to my local C drive and not the OneDrive start

Thanks

ChuckWM, Jul 25, 2015
  3. Luke38 Win User
    How to actually change the default save location

I understand you can change it in word and tried to point out that I have done that exact thing two times after that clean install. I tried to explaining by the long description that this is not relevant to one program but to the operating system and why
    I thought the question is a Windows setting question.

For example OneDrive has a user environment variable and when I changed the OneDrive autosave to "OneDrive" all my programs that use the documents folder to save start saving to the OneDrive documents folder instead of PC documents folder. However, when
    I change the OneDrive autosave to "This PC Only” instead of going to the documents folder I mentioned I moved it creates a new directory on my OS drive (C:/user/documents).

The question is it possible to actually change the default save locations on my PC? Like the user environment variable for OneDrive.

Luke38, Jul 25, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

If it is changing when you exit. It could be an issue with One Drive not properly syncing. Have you tried turning One Drive off, then reboot, log in and turn back on OneDrive?

bro67, Jul 25, 2015
  5. Draven4 Win User
    Well, I tried disconnecting my account (now the OneDrive icon on the system tray is grey colored). Still no luck. Will it make a difference to disable it all together? If so, how is it done? I don't see any option for that (appart from ticking off OneDrive in the system tray menu and keeping it from starting with my system, which I already tried).

Draven4, Jul 25, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    It will always start with the OS, because it stores your Roaming profile. The other part is something that not everyone is having issues with. You are the only one I am seeing who has stated that they are having issues with it.

bro67, Jul 25, 2015
  7. Draven4 Win User
    Not quite the same issue, but people in microsoft forums where having a similar problem, so I guess it's safe to say there were more people facing problems with Documents, Pitures and OneDrive.

The folder cant be moved here - Microsoft Community

I followed one of the solutions posted there and I was able to fix the situation: I created a local account with admin level, I erased the account linked with my outlook accout and created it again. I logged after that, and the problem was gone.

Thank you for the assistance, bro67. *Smile

Draven4, Jul 25, 2015
  8. OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents.

I have the same problem, but I'm too lazy to deal with it and it's not a big deal to me, so I'll just leave it for now.

fracking4oil, Jul 25, 2015
  9. tumas04 Win User
    Of course you can disable onedrive. I don't need it myself so that's always the first thing i do after installing windows. Just run "gpedit.msc" and go to "Computer configuration" -> "administrative templates" -> "windows components" -> "ondrive" and enable the option "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage". I even disabled the onedrive icon to show up in the explorer all together.

tumas04, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents. - Similar Threads - OneDrive Documents acts

2. "Quick access > Documents" No Longer Points to the Proper Directory on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Quick access > Documents" No Longer Points to the Proper Directory on OneDrive: I got a new hard drive and now when I go to File Explorer, the "Documents" folder is not pointing to the directory in OneDrive that it did before. In the past, "Documents" showed up in "Quick access," and when I went into it, it would open a directory on my OneDrive, "mls...
  3. Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10: EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!I just installed a fresh install of Windows 10 to get rid of the horrible Windows 11 and have not been able to change the default Documents directory to my second 2 TB hard drive. I was able to change all other defaults to the D:\ drive.It was initially...
  4. Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10: EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!I just installed a fresh install of Windows 10 to get rid of the horrible Windows 11 and have not been able to change the default Documents directory to my second 2 TB hard drive. I was able to change all other defaults to the D:\ drive.It was initially...
  5. Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents

Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents: I unfortunately set this up when I installed windows to save my Documents to OneDrive unknowingly that instead of syncing my actual documents it creates and changes the default documents folder to a OneDrive folder. How do I undo this?This...
  7. *URGENT*Directory of Documents folder

*URGENT*Directory of Documents folder: I want to change the directory of Documents folder from 'C:\Users\SHIVRAJ\OneDrive\Documents' to 'C:\Users\SHIVRAJ\Documents' how can I do that, without performing a reset? Note:- I don't have OneDrive on my device anymore....
  8. Onedrive documents

Onedrive documents: I uninstalled Onedrive from my computer as per usual as I don't like it running in the background and also just having its own folders. This time though the documents folder of the computer and pictures folder of the computer are both by default a directory in Onedrive for...
  9. Transfer Documents Directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Transfer Documents Directory: Why won't my "My Documents Directory" in Windows 7 transfer to the start menu ? At the moment I'm running off a disk. This what I used to have to do back in the old DOS days. I guess there's been no Improvement since then. 93510
  10. User default document in onedrive

in Windows 10 Support
    User default document in onedrive: Hi, I just completed a brand new windows 10 installation from CD. *Smile Every thing go ok. The only problem I have is that one : When I install applications (let say for exemple Magix video), the "magix specific" folders are created in the folder onedrive/documents...