Windows 10: OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly

Discus and support OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; We have an AVD Windows 10 environment. Within my environment OneDrive is constantly refreshing the icon overlays. The files will go from No icon, Green... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kenneth Chirinos, Feb 21, 2024.

1. OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly

We have an AVD Windows 10 environment. Within my environment OneDrive is constantly refreshing the icon overlays. The files will go from No icon, Green Check, gray X, Sharing icon, Blue Cloud, Short Cut. Sometime this refreshing of the icons happens once but then other times this refreshing of the overlay goes on for like 30 seconds to several minutes.Below are the steps taken to resolve issue.I have run DISM/SFC ScannowCleared cache for icons and thumbnails using script below but no change in behavior taskkill /f /im explorer.exe cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local attrib -h IconCache.db del

:)

Kenneth Chirinos, Feb 21, 2024
  2. LarryLY Win User

OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

I use TortoiseGit which uses shell overlays for indicating file status. It is the most important application for me which uses overlays. OneDrive is constantly stealing the priority by adding spaces in front of the OneDrive ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry keys. Is there any way to prevent this? I've tried changing the permissions on those keys to deny all, but they still end up getting changed.

It is so frustrating to have to edit the keys and restart so frequently. I'm not sure when OneDrive steals the overlays, but it is very frequently. Maybe on restarts or windows updates? Since it doesn't take effect until after a restart when the change is made, it is difficult to pinpoint.

Adding insult to injury... OneDrive doesn't even use overlays!!! They are using the status field in the file details. The is no reason for OneDrive to even be doing this!!!

LarryLY, Feb 21, 2024
  3. Hank_725 Win User
    OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays

I use Dropbox and do not use OneDrive. In order to ensure the Dropbox folder overlays are displayed, I need to delete the registry entries for the OneDrive folder overlays because they appear above (have a higher priority) than the Dropbox overlays.

That's fine, but EVERY TIME there is a Windows update, the OneDrive registry entries are reinstalled and I need to edit the registry AGAIN to get rid of them. Is there a way to prevent Windows from reinstalling the OneDrive registry entries so I don't have to edit the registry after every Windows update? I'm running Windows 11.

Here is the registry key I'm referring to:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

Hank_725, Feb 21, 2024
  4. OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly

Desktop icons OneDrive status constantly changing

Hello there,

It seems that you're facing an issue with desktop icons displaying overlay symbols like cloud icons, check marks, Let's work on troubleshooting and resolving this problem:

Clear Icon Cache:

• Corrupted icon cache can lead to unexpected overlays. To clear it:
      1. Press Win + R, type cmd, and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open Command Prompt as administrator.
      2. Enter the following commands one by one, then press Enter after each:

OneDrive and Sync Icons:

• Check OneDrive settings, even after unlinking it:
      1. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the system tray.
      2. Choose "Settings."
      3. Go to the "Settings" tab and uncheck "Show sync provider notifications."
    File Explorer Options:

• Adjust folder options:
      1. Open File Explorer.
      2. Click "View" > "Options" > "Change folder and search options."
      3. In the "View" tab, select "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and click "Apply."
    Reset System Icons:

• You can reset system icons to default settings:
      1. Right-click the desktop and select "Personalize."
      2. Go to "Themes" > "Desktop icon settings."
      3. Click "Restore Default" to see if it removes the overlays.
    Windows Update:

• Ensure your Windows system is updated with the latest patches, as outdated systems might have bugs that are fixed in newer updates.
    * Found this helpful? Feel free to mark it as the solution!

d7a5c4d3-200b-41f6-b5df-81931f93becf, Feb 21, 2024
Thema:

OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly

1. OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly - Similar Threads - OneDrive File Folder

2. OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly: We have an AVD Windows 10 environment. Within my environment OneDrive is constantly refreshing the icon overlays. The files will go from No icon, Green Check, gray X, Sharing icon, Blue Cloud, Short Cut. Sometime this refreshing of the icons happens once but then other times...
  3. OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive File and Folder Overlay Changes Constantly: We have an AVD Windows 10 environment. Within my environment OneDrive is constantly refreshing the icon overlays. The files will go from No icon, Green Check, gray X, Sharing icon, Blue Cloud, Short Cut. Sometime this refreshing of the icons happens once but then other times...
  4. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays: I use TortoiseGit which uses shell overlays for indicating file status. It is the most important application for me which uses overlays. OneDrive is constantly stealing the priority by adding spaces in front of the OneDrive ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry keys. Is there...
  5. OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays: I use Dropbox and do not use OneDrive. In order to ensure the Dropbox folder overlays are displayed, I need to delete the registry entries for the OneDrive folder overlays because they appear above have a higher priority than the Dropbox overlays. That's fine, but EVERY TIME...
  6. OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays: I use Dropbox and do not use OneDrive. In order to ensure the Dropbox folder overlays are displayed, I need to delete the registry entries for the OneDrive folder overlays because they appear above have a higher priority than the Dropbox overlays. That's fine, but EVERY TIME...
  7. Overlay icons for other applications not showing in OneDrive folder

Overlay icons for other applications not showing in OneDrive folder: Hello,I'm having an issue with OneDrive folder and TortoiseSVN overlay icons although it seems that it happens with other applications too.If I open a folder with Tortoise SVN overlay icons inside OneDrive folder, the overlay icons are not shown, and since OneDrive icons are...
  8. Icon overlays from shell extensions not showing in OneDrive folders

Icon overlays from shell extensions not showing in OneDrive folders: I've downloaded the link shell extension, which among other things is supposed to show special icon overlays for hard links and symbolic links like this:However, these icon overlays don't show in OneDrive folders that is C:\users\myname\OneDrive and its subfolders:In the FAQ...
  9. Onedrive Sync Overlays missing

Onedrive Sync Overlays missing: Dear, thank you for your attention! In one of my users there are some files in a synced folder without the green mark, but some files have it. All files are synced and the icon in the taskbar is OK. We are using 19.062.0331.0006, but on Win 10 1703 - no Sync On Demand...
  10. Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders: How to: Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders How to Change Permission Level of Shared OneDrive Files and Folders You can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 tablet, or Windows 10...