Windows 10: OneDrive help please

Discus and support OneDrive help please in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I recently purchased a OneDrive subscription and am having a problem with it not fully syncing my music folder. Locally my music is saved in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ddiehl, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ddiehl Win User

OneDrive help please

Hi.

I recently purchased a OneDrive subscription and am having a problem with it not fully syncing my music folder.

Locally my music is saved in the Music folder->Artist->Album->Tracks. OneDrive is only syncing the Artist and Album titles but no tracks. All my photos and documents are fine.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

ddiehl, Jan 6, 2017

2. Windows 10 failed attempts to use "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" function

Repeated backup failures. Running Windows 10, and when the “Backup and Restore (Windows 7) program is run front the Control Panel, I get the messages:

“Check your backup. The last backup did not complete successfully”.

“Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP.”

“Please retry the operation.”

Each time I retry, I get the same result and messages.

Windows 10 came installed on my Dell Inspiron 15 (500 Series) laptop. I have successfully used the same Backup and Restore (Windows 7) program to “Create a system image”, as well as to “Create a system repair disc”.

Please provide me with some insight and suggested actions.

{Please Help}, Jan 6, 2017
  3. Running windows 10 and lost browser connectivity after installing the 2013 Microsoft Office Suite

running windows 10 preinstalled on a new Dell lap top had no problem with windows browser, no problem installing Chrome, no problem downloading and activating 2013 Microsoft Office programs. BUT lost all browser connectivity after installing the 2013 Microsoft
    Office Suite. Internet connectivity confirmed along with DNS, pings, etc.

Should I uninstall the 2013 Microsoft Office Suite?

{Please Help}, Jan 6, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

OneDrive help please

Hi there. How long ago did you perform this?

Tony K, Jan 6, 2017
  5. ddiehl Win User
    Hi.. Thanks for the response...

It's been about 2 weeks.. I figure that's plenty of time for it to populate..

ddiehl, Jan 6, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    All those albums and tracks must of course be stored in C:\Users\Your_Username\OneDrive\Music folder to be synced to OneDrive, not in C:\Users\Your_Username\Music folder.

Kari, Jan 6, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome.

I'm a single user using one account. I just dump mine in the global OneDrive folder at the top of the hierarchy, which populates my account, but You'd be better listening to Kari above. He's a master at computing. I would think dropping it in the global folder would populate all user accounts? Not sure.

Tony K, Jan 6, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

OneDrive help please

What do you mean with "global" folder?

Kari, Jan 6, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    I'm sure my terminology is incorrect. Not familiar with multiple accounts. I'm in my 8.1, but 10 is basically the same on my laptop. I'm referring to placing files in the OneDrive folder at the top of WE hierarchy list. It will then populate into my personal OneDrive folder that's circled.

Like I said, this is in 8.1 below.

OneDrive help please [​IMG]

Tony K, Jan 6, 2017
  10. ddiehl Win User
    OK.. I think I'm an idiot..

I thought that the 'OneDrive' folders appearing in Explorer were actually virtual folders showing was was synced from C:\Users\Your_Username\Music folder.. I didn't realize that the OneDrive folders were actually stored locally which I confirmed by disconnecting from the internet and opened the OneDrive folder and saw all my files..

So now I'm going to move the files from C:\Users\Your_Username\Music folder to C:\Users\Your_Username\OneDrive\Music

​Thanks everyone...

ddiehl, Jan 6, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. Please don't be hard on yourself. You're not an idiot if you're trying to learn. Perhaps a little ignorant to it. Tech is a little difficult to keep up with so far as changes with the new. OneDrive takes a little to get used to.

Glad you got it sorted out. *Smile

Tony K, Jan 6, 2017
  12. @HippsieGypsie I have to agree. OneDrive can be a real pain in the backside, especially when uploading a file on one device and trying to view/access it on another.
    P.s. If you need any help with computers, just message me on here and I'll do my best to help; I'm pretty smart when it comes to computers *Smile
    You can also email me, just ask for my email address and I'll message you.

Gypsy

TipsyGypsy, Jan 7, 2017
  13. mrgeek Win User

OneDrive help please

ddiehl: "So now I'm going to move the files from C:\Users\Your_Username\Music folder to C:\Users\Your_Username\OneDrive\Music"

You need to understand that that the C:User folders are separate from the corresponding Onedrive folders. Say, you only want certain pics to share with another computer or user, you need to select those only and COPY them to the Onedrive Pictures folder, so you end up with these files in BOTH folders. If you want ALL your music, in the future, to be in the Onedrive Music folder only (presuming this is what you want, by moving vs copying the C:Music folder contents) and synced to Onedrive for backup or to sync to another device, you need to change the default save location too so that any future saved music does not have to be manually moved/copied from your This PC/Music folder to the Onedrive/Music folder, especially if you are the only user. Here's how -

R-click the This PC\Music folder where you prev had all your music. Click Properties/Location tab. Now, change the location from C:\Users\Username\Music to C:\Users\Username\Onedrive\Music. From now on, ALL your music will be auto directed to Onedrive Music vs This PC Music which will remain empty after you've done the file move you propose. You need to do this for EACH This PC folder that you want to be COMPLETELY and ONLY in the corresponding Onedrive folder vs both locations. Good Luck

mrgeek, Jan 8, 2017
  14. Kari Win User
    Kudos to you for willingness to help your fellow Windows 10 users.

That being said, the whole idea of this site is to learn together. An OP (original poster) posts about an issue, fellow members will suggest various solutions or workarounds, OP marks the thread solved when issue is fixed, and in best case scenario also posts telling how and using which suggested solution the issue was fixed.

This helps not only our existing 85,000+ members but also the millions of guest users we have possibly fighting with similar issues, whereas a member getting help from another member in a private message or email only helps this one OP, causing other members to post about similar / same issue over and over again.

For this reason, our forums being for general help and learning together instead of individual help from one member to another single member, I will usually completely ignore and never reply to private messages or emails from other members asking private help or assistance in a specific issue, or in those rare occasions I will reply my reply is always short asking that member to post his / her issue on forums and then send me the link to this thread. I will then reply in that thread instead of a private message or an email. In case my suggestion works, it benefits all members and guests here alike instead of just one single member. If not, it gives other members an opportunity to jump in with their ideas.

Of course I admit I might not be as smart with computers than you, but as we say in Finnish "Even a blind hen can sometimes find a grain" meaning that even I sometimes (accidentally!) manage to suggest a solution to an issue that really works. Doing it in public forums instead of private messaging might some day help another member.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

15. EdTittel Win User
    Kari:
    purely in the interest of matching idioms across languages, the corresponding saying in the southern US is "even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then." I thought about PM'ing this ditty to you, but decided after the preceding thread that sharing with the community could also help with those who don't speak English of this particular kind might also benefit. Especially if they see any blind squirrels...
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 8, 2017
Thema:

OneDrive help please

1. OneDrive help please - Similar Threads - OneDrive help please

2. onedrive doesn't work. help please.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive doesn't work. help please.: i have onedrive on /users/myname/onedrive on macbook, win10, and win11. it just does not work! files are not the same. i have read ms help extensively, but cannot find a concise direct fix. do not need to install - do not need to login - it's all there but not the same....
  3. onedrive doesn't work. help please.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onedrive doesn't work. help please.: i have onedrive on /users/myname/onedrive on macbook, win10, and win11. it just does not work! files are not the same. i have read ms help extensively, but cannot find a concise direct fix. do not need to install - do not need to login - it's all there but not the same....
  4. Restoring Onedrive files - help please!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring Onedrive files - help please!: Hello,Really hoping somebody can help as I've had no response from Microsoft so far despite 5 or 6 attempts.On Friday 4 June, I unsynced my 'Documents' folder from OneDrive and deleted the existing folder from Onedrive. However, the files subsequently disappeared from my...
  5. Problems with OneDrive. Please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems with OneDrive. Please help!: A few days ago I made the mistake of deleting my desktop files on OneDrive (where you view the files online in the desktop folder - I didn't touch my actual desktop). What ended up happening for some reason was that all my desktop files + programs got deleted. I manage to...
  6. Some help with OneDrive please.

Some help with OneDrive please.: Hello, Well I would like my old pictures file back. I do not want OneDrive, can anyone help me get my old files back? Thankyou. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-help-with-onedrive-please/3fc5b719-464e-467b-ac42-6ddc7a0f674f
  7. Help with OneDrive Please!

Help with OneDrive Please!: I store all my stuff on my OneDrive - great! The problem is, it's linked to my ex-partner's server so everything is being backed up on his server. I have changed my password for access to OneDrive but ideally I would like to remove it from the server. Can I do it at my end or...
  8. Onedrive and MS Teams please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Onedrive and MS Teams please help: I've been using Onedrive and MS Teams for work. Is there a way to know if the files uploaded in the onedrive and ms teams are taking up space on my local storage? If yes, how? and how can I change it so that it will only take the onedrive space? Also i've been using ms...
  9. Problem with using OneDrive - help Newbie please!

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with using OneDrive - help Newbie please!: I am trying to transfer My Docs files from my old laptop to a new Tablet - both are latest version of Windows 10. My problem is: I can see in my vault on my laptop all my files going back for ages but when I go into One Drive on my new Tablet and open the vault all I see are...
  10. ONEDRIVE HELP PLEASE

ONEDRIVE HELP PLEASE: Ever since i got onedrive i have had nothing but issues with it. When i try to stop syncing my files it says to wait for the file to stop syncing although it never stops. The limit is 5gb however it still continues although it says i'm already maxed out. I have tried to get...