Windows 10: OneDrive Location

Discus and support OneDrive Location in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a problem that maybe is easy to solve: I run Windows 10 Pro v 1803. 1) I installed OneDrive; it automatically created a OneDrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dschaareman, Jul 13, 2018.

1. OneDrive Location

Hi all, I have a problem that maybe is easy to solve:

I run Windows 10 Pro v 1803.

1) I installed OneDrive; it automatically created a OneDrive folder on C. As the OneDrive folder is too large for C,

2) I moved the OneDrive folder from from C to E

3) A bit later I moved the documents folder from C to E:/OneDrive (as I want the Documents folder to be in OneDrive Online)

In File Explorer, the OneDrive shows as OneDrive, in my 2Explorer that I use as a File Explorer replacement it was also called OneDrive but a bit later it changed by itself into Documents, but when I doubleclick this folder Documents, it reads again E:/OneDrive. In 2explorer the folder tree shows Documents, opening the folder it reads OneDrive.

After the April Windows update, OneDrive behaves weird: sometimes the icon is visible in the notification area and syncs, sometimes it is not visible and it doesn't sync/ update. Since 2 days ago, when the problem persisted, I cannot uninstall OneDrive and also not install it (it says "a newer version is installed, uninstall that version first" - which I can't. I talked to a Microsoft person about this. He suggested to reinstall Windows "thereafter all will be fine". I did that, but the problem still is there, it's "not fine". I talked with another Microsoft person who after while didn't find where the problem is and said "we'll investigate and get back to you in a couple of days". He pinned OneDrive to the taskbar, but I cannot use it for uploading, the pinned OneDrive only shows the files in the cloud, nothing else.. Since I have not much patience I deleted all OneDrive registry items, and installed OneDrive. But, of course, the OneDrive folder is again on C. I unlinked the OneDrive account, and moved OneDrive from C to E in the folder Documents. The result is that I now have EOneDrive Location :Documents (OneDrive)/Documents/OneDrive/Documents. That means that many folders are duplicate: they sit in E:/Documents (OneDrive)/ as well as in E:/Documents (OneDrive)/Documents/OneDrive/Documents.

My question is, how to get this straight?? Move the OneDrive folder again?

Thanks, and regards,

Danker

:)

dschaareman, Jul 13, 2018

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 13, 2018
  3. wallace99 Win User
    Problem with location of Pictures library after making pictures available on OneDrive

Thanks Rhina

I did what you suggested but it ended up making OneDrive the Pictures library. This may have something to do with the way i originally moved the Pictures folders to OneDrive. I probably should explain:

Because there already was a (fairly empty) Pictures folder under OneDrive (automatically set up I think when transferring a few Ipad photos to PC via OneDrive) I had moved the top level Pictures folders into D/users/myname/OneDrive rather than moving
    the Pictures folder itself. This was probably a bit stupid but I subsequently moved the top level Pictures folders into that pre-existing Pictures folder on OneDrive and that's how we got to where we are today.

To continue after that diversion. Following the restore you suggested, the pictures folder under Libraries was still wrong but it looked a lot better ie it was no longer offering me a choice of locations for Pictures folders and, instead was just showing
    me all the top level folders for what it (wrongly) thought was the Pictures folder. But it was still not appearing directly under This PC.

My next step was to go into Properties option for Libraries/Pictures. Here I simply added the correct location D/users/myname/OneDrive/pictures and deleted the location D/users/myname/OneDrive which at that time was the current location.

So, on the Positive side:

• Libraries/Pictures now shows what I would expect ie my top level Pictures folders

But, on the negative side:

• Pictures still does not appear under This PC, unlike Documents, Videos, Music etc
    • in the Photos app, if I go to Folders option, it shows the folder as OneDrive, not OneDrive/Pictures even though, if i go into "choose where to look" it is correctly showing OneDrive/Pictures as the location. Obviously i can still get to the photos I need
      but it's an extra unnecessary step
    That's where i am currently.

wallace99, Jul 13, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

OneDrive Location

Brink, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

OneDrive Location

1. OneDrive Location - Similar Threads - OneDrive Location

2. Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.: I downloaded OneDrive to try it out. However, I do not like how all the files have been pulled into a master OneDrive folder on my computer, and want everything returned to how I had it prior. Is there a "return all files to previous location" button, or do I have to do all...
  3. Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.: I downloaded OneDrive to try it out. However, I do not like how all the files have been pulled into a master OneDrive folder on my computer, and want everything returned to how I had it prior. Is there a "return all files to previous location" button, or do I have to do all...
  4. Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  6. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  7. How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?: I use OneDrive for personal documents only, yet it is the default repository for Izotope Ozone and Nectar, Filmora, Native Instruments, EQ Apo... etc. I don't want this junk not junk in itself but junk in my personal documents.PC Settings: 'New documents will save to...
  8. How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?: I use OneDrive for personal documents only, yet it is the default repository for Izotope Ozone and Nectar, Filmora, Native Instruments, EQ Apo... etc. I don't want this junk not junk in itself but junk in my personal documents.PC Settings: 'New documents will save to...
  9. How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

10. Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location

Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location: Our company uses onedrive buisness to store files and we have a IE compatible web-based program to review and download reports. Whenever I try to "save as" a report, the default is a folder that was located in the OneDrive folder under Users on the C-Drive. Even if i save in...