Windows 10: OneDrive Usage and Backup Question

Discus and support OneDrive Usage and Backup Question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am using Onedrive under Windows 10 to store all my user data (files). My question is should I be backing up my files in my Onedrive to another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jerrythesurfer, Mar 25, 2018.

1. OneDrive Usage and Backup Question

I am using Onedrive under Windows 10 to store all my user data (files). My question is should I be backing up my files in my Onedrive to another location, ie. a local drive of another cloud storage location.

One of primary reasons I use Onedrive is that I was under the impression that I would no longer need to backup my user data as Microsoft would be much more organized and religious about maintianing user data stored in the Onedrive server farm. Am I thinking wrong here? What are the real and most likely reasons Onedrive would lose my data?

Thanks

Jerry

:)

Jerrythesurfer, Mar 25, 2018
  2. saberman2 Win User

How Do I Synchronize Two Nokia Lumia 822 Phones With Windows Phone 8.1?

>Wait a while ~ a minute and go to mail and select sync, at the bottom.

That worked. But it did before.

>Then try backup again with the best WiFi you have.

Still failing with the "We can't connect to OneDrive to back up. Update your phone and try again."

If I press manage backups it checks for backups and says, under App backup, "Using 62.16 MB/5.00 GB from OneDrive". Apparently it can access OneDrive to read from it and get usage but cannot connect to write to it.

saberman2, Mar 25, 2018
  3. Lumia640 WM10 (1703) not backup (Error 0x80004004)

/sorry my english/

Hard Reset ok.

One day returned soft.

(not Mapfactor Navigator - ?)

Backup OneDrive working.

QUESTION:

Why OneDrive - onli one backup my smartfon?

Backup now many times - only one visible?

ZdzisławDzidek, Mar 25, 2018
  4. OneDrive Usage and Backup Question

I doubt that MS would lose your One Drive Data, if they did you would lose more than just that..*Wink I would say it is 99.999% safe.

Josey Wales, Mar 25, 2018
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Does OneDrive require an internet connection to restore? If yes, do you have both a USB and DVD boot that will connect to the internet in case the OS suffers a major [im][ex]plosion?

RolandJS, Mar 25, 2018
  6. The OP is not backing the OS up on ONEDRIVE, only his user data files. If his OS gets corrupted, best recovery would be a clean install and then setup ONEDRIVE. Good to go.

storageman, Mar 25, 2018
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Oh, ok, a clean OS re-install. I'm wondering if periodic full images of the OS partition onto external media would make the OS-rebuilding faster.

RolandJS, Mar 26, 2018
  8. OneDrive Usage and Backup Question

Yes, correct, I am using OneDrive exclusively for my data. It appears to work great and I never worry about finding my files. I probably should backup my OneDrive as it the only source for my data but I suspect that MS works very hard to maintain the integrity and accuracy of files stored on their OneDrive server farms. I assume they do a much better job than I can do.

I should add that I use File History so there is in theory a backup of my data files.

The combination of OneDrive and File History appears sufficient and a very simple, effective way to manage user data (mind you, I'm talking only user data here). Would welcome other thoughts on the matter

Jerrythesurfer, Mar 26, 2018
  9. Well maybe, but it depends on how many applications the OP has installed. For me it would take a minimum 4 days to recover with a clean install and I don't don't want to do that. But then the OP would have to setup a new backup scheme and backing up to One Drive is painfully slow. Then with Microsoft weekly C.U.'s, it makes any backup situation more complex.

Even though One Drive is not a really backup solution, it works really good for sharing/backing up of your data. I use it to share data between my desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. What ever data I update (any platform), ends up appearing on all devices. Works good !

storageman, Mar 27, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    The key factor you need to consider is that although onedrive is very secure, it only works if you have internet access, and for larger files a good broadband link. If e.g. you are travelling a lot, an external usb backup drive is always a good plan.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

OneDrive Usage and Backup Question

1. OneDrive Usage and Backup Question - Similar Threads - OneDrive Usage Backup

2. OneDrive Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Backup: Hello - I want to enable OneDrive to backup my core folders to OneDrive documents, photos, video, etc but one OneDrive I want them put into a specific location. For example my computer is an Alienware so I want to create a folder on OneDrive called Alienware, and have the...
  3. onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onedrive backup: i have a personal onedrive account with an outlook.com email address and would like to use another cloud service to do a back up. I tried idrive but it does not seem to allow it only for corporate accounts although I do have office 365 on my subscription...
  4. onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    onedrive backup: i have a personal onedrive account with an outlook.com email address and would like to use another cloud service to do a back up. I tried idrive but it does not seem to allow it only for corporate accounts although I do have office 365 on my subscription...
  5. Question on backups

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question on backups: I am currently backing up data from my computer via Win7 Backup and Restore and I can see that my backup drive is beginning to get a little clogged up. Is there a way or a tool to compare two existing backup files and delete duplicate info to save space on the backup drive?...
  6. Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Onedrive backup: Hey guys. So I have a PC running Windows 10; I have a fairly typical set-up with documents, pictures, etc. However, I have a Microsoft 365 subscription and I have 1TB of OneDrive storage sitting there begging to be used. Naturally, I try to back up my folders using the...
  7. Backup question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup question: In Windows 10, under All Settings, Update and Security, there is Backup. I usually select Windows 7 Backup and Restore. What does this backup? Does anyone here know? Thank you. 155985
  8. OneDrive backup question

OneDrive backup question: I have some files that I use in many GIS projects. They have to keep the same name and file path, in order for the GIS program to find them. Unfortunately, they are all under a “Dropbox” file, since that is how I have been backing them up. Now, however, I want to get rid of...
  9. backup on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup on OneDrive: how I can make a backup on OneDrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-on-onedrive/d9049796-8951-46f5-88b8-79c3b318c992
  10. Backup and OneDrive

Backup and OneDrive: Is there a way to Backup (i.e. use File History) Directly to OneDrive rather than copying the File History folder to the OneDrive section of my PC? thans. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-onedrive/e4bb32b8-7572-4c20-a050-b16abea2d075"