Windows 10: Onedrive vs Skydrive with different folders

Discus and support Onedrive vs Skydrive with different folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can't figure out why my SkyDrive, as it used to be called, and my OneDrive have different names! When I started on my Desktop the Cloud drive was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikecox, Nov 18, 2017.

1. mikecox Win User

Onedrive vs Skydrive with different folders

I can't figure out why my SkyDrive, as it used to be called, and my OneDrive have different names!

When I started on my Desktop the Cloud drive was called SkyDrive. It's still labeled that way on my Desktop while on my Laptop it labeled OneDrive. I could live with that but I am not sure they contain the same data, although files I add from my laptop do seem to get to my SkyDrive, it just takes a long time.

But the cloud Tree organization is different, with different Document folders. They should match, exactly!!

How do I get them synced up with the same name?

:)

mikecox, Nov 18, 2017

2. File History - Skydrive vs Onedrive folders

Re: "If the duplicate files exist, it may be due to the corrupted files present in your system."

You completely missed the issue that this user (and more) have. After upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, systems can have a
    OneDrive folder that shows in File Explorer but whose actual path
    is "C:\Users\name\SkyDrive."

After the Win10 upgrade, File History shows as backing up both

C:\Users\name\OneDrive

and

C:\Users\name\SkyDrive

This is unnecessarily confusing and leads the user to think that the "SkyDrive" backup is not necessary as long as the "OneDrive" one shows in File History.

But if you check the actual system path to "OneDrive" using the command prompt, it has
    none of the files that are at the user's true OneDrive. Those are at the C:\Users\name\SkyDrive. It appears that this C:\Users\name\OneDrive folder holds some sort of placeholder of synch data.

As I said, it's unnecessarily confusing. Your reply to the user did nothing to answer the question or ease the concern.

Creme Brulee, Nov 18, 2017
  3. File History - Skydrive vs Onedrive folders

Hi Scott,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

OneDrive is free online storage that's built into Windows 8.1 and
    future Windows products. You can easily add files on your PC to
    OneDrive to always have them with you on the devices you use. And you can browse your
    OneDrive using the OneDrive app or File Explorer in the desktop. Earlier in Windows 8, OneDrive was called as SkyDrive.

Refer to the links below on:

From SkyDrive to OneDrive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/skydrive-to-onedrive

OneDrive: FAQ

OneDrive help for Windows 8.1

If the duplicate files exist, it may be due to the corrupted files present in your system.

SFC scan and
    DISM scan will help you repair the corrupted files in your system and also will enhance the performance of the system.

SFC scan:

Following is the link which will guide you through SFC scan steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

DISM scan:

Following is the link which will guide you through DISM scan steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821?wa=wsignin1.0&ppud=4

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community.

Likhitha V, Nov 18, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Skydrive was changed to "Onedrive". What you are seeing are folders, not the actual service in Windows.

bro67, Nov 19, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Hi there, @mikecox.

bro67 may be right in that your tower is dragging along an older user folder and structure with it through upgrades. (assuming here)

Are they the same OSs and editions?

Is OneDrive settings on both set identically?

Tony K, Nov 19, 2017
  6. mikecox Win User
    If that's the case how do I clear out the old stuff?

My Laptop is running v 1709 (OS Build 16299.64
    My Tower is running 1703 (OS Built 15063.726)
    When rean "checked for updates" I got "up to date"

As a rule, I have always accessed OneDrive from Explorer, because it was quicker and simpler than logging onto MSlive. Now that I've done that I can see that, of course, the organization and structure are the same, regardless which computer I'm on because I'm on the same site.

So I've never made changes to the OneDrive settings. What would I change in order to get the Drives I see in Explorer to show the same structure and name?

mikecox, Nov 19, 2017
  7. mikecox Win User
    Thanks, I get it now, it came to me while replying to John DAH.

I would just like to figure out how to get things sorted out in Explorer because I find it easier to work from there, though until I accomplish this I will go online.

mikecox, Nov 19, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

@mikecox

That's odd that your tower's 1703 won't update to Fall Creators Update version 1709, for it was released on October 17. Don't know exactly when feature updates started to label folders OneDrive instead of SkyDrive, but all my folders in five 1709 OSs I have installed on 3 machines are all titled OneDrive just as your laptop is. If I'm correct with my hunch, then this may be your problem.

Try resetting Windows Update on your tower to see if it will update: Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Yes, your OneDrive account online is the main hub of all devices, including smart phones.

Your tower may not have the latest version of OneDrive, so after updating right click the OneDrive cloud icon in your systray > Settings > Set everything the same on both machines. There's a plethora of tutorials by Brink beginning with this one. Please take notice of the rest at the end of each tutorial to aid you with settings.

Turn On or Off Run OneDrive at Startup in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Tony K, Nov 20, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    You would be surprised at some of the old Legacy stuff that is still in Windows 10, along with some assorted Registry entries that have nothing on the machine connected to them.

There are better file management and search programs out there, than ancient File Explorer. I love Mac OS, because I can set my documents folder to sync with iCloud and grab anything out of there from any computer that I can use the iCloud app. Just move the stuff from the Skydrive folder to the Onedrive. You may find the skydrive still in your online Microsoft account.

bro67, Nov 20, 2017
  10. PJLLB Win User
    That's exactly how OneDrive can work.

PJLLB, Nov 20, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    Not even in it's entirety.

bro67, Nov 21, 2017
  12. mikecox Win User
    Actually I use Explorer2. But it's been crashing a lot a the vendor can't figure out why. I thought maybe a OS re-install would correct the problem but it didn't, so I'm blaming on my Surface Book, which behaves in very weird ways.

mikecox, Nov 27, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

Yes it can. It'll fetch files from any device if configured to do so.

Tony K, Nov 27, 2017
  14. mikecox Win User

mikecox, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Onedrive vs Skydrive with different folders - Similar Threads - Onedrive Skydrive different

2. SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive: When will Microsoft fix this bug in App One Drive Mr. attendant, please put an objective solution, as I'm tired of faulty guidelines like reinstall the App, run an anti-malware and all other ready-made answers you have that don't work...
  3. SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive: When will Microsoft fix this bug in App One Drive Mr. attendant, please put an objective solution, as I'm tired of faulty guidelines like reinstall the App, run an anti-malware and all other ready-made answers you have that don't work...
  4. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  5. SkyDrive wants access to OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SkyDrive wants access to OneDrive?: Hi. Recently SkyDrive is asking for access to my OneDrive folder, any ideas why? [ATTACH]why would this be. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skydrive-wants-access-to-onedrive/16485c25-abe6-4d1c-8938-c9a05b9af01f
  6. folders vs libraries - what's the difference?

folders vs libraries - what's the difference?: Hi everyone, I'm having trouble understanding the difference between folders and libraries in Windows, and understanding the advantages of using a library. A library, to me, just sounds like a collection of shortcuts. Why wouldn't you just create a folder with shortcuts...
  7. Skydrive and OneDrive double folder

Skydrive and OneDrive double folder: Hi, i set up a new Machine and updated to the latest version. Windows 10 home This created a Skydrive folder which I pointed to O: Onedrive from the old harddisk i reused. Now i have a Skydrive folder syncronised with the cloud. And in the that Skydrive there is another...
  8. Onedrive adding duplicates with new "1" extension to photos in Skydrive folder

Onedrive adding duplicates with new "1" extension to photos in Skydrive folder: Recently i'm seeing a bunch of photos in m Skydrive folder (both on my PC via the OneDrive app/file folder, AND online in OneDrive directly) with a "1" added to the file name. These are still jpg's, but if I click on them they won't open. Says OneDrive can't open this type...
  9. OneDrive vs SkyDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive vs SkyDrive: Anyone have any idea why I can't access this pdf file, that is on my OneDrive, from any device? [img] . 100513
  10. Microsoft rechristens 'SkyDrive' as 'OneDrive'

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rechristens 'SkyDrive' as 'OneDrive': Microsoft just announce the awaited replacement name for SkyDrive, its cloud storage service. As first spotted by Rod Trent at Windows ITPro, the new name is "OneDrive." Microsoft is confirming the new name in a January 27 blog post. OneDrive.com, a preview site, notes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. are one drive and sky drive the same