Windows 10: OneDrive vs SkyDrive

Discus and support OneDrive vs SkyDrive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Anyone have any idea why I can't access this pdf file, that is on my OneDrive, from any device? [img] . 100513 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikecox, Dec 16, 2017.

1. mikecox Win User

OneDrive vs SkyDrive

Anyone have any idea why I can't access this pdf file, that is on my OneDrive, from any device?

OneDrive vs SkyDrive [​IMG]

:)

mikecox, Dec 16, 2017

2. Why are there 2 OneDrive icons in File Explorer?

I have had the two onedrive icons for some time, on a Win7 Dell desktop. The idea that it relates to skydrive vs. onedrive makes sense. I also find that I had to check settings to make sure items were updated from the local computer to the cloud asap.

cindyconley, Dec 16, 2017
  3. File History - Skydrive vs Onedrive folders

Re: "If the duplicate files exist, it may be due to the corrupted files present in your system."

You completely missed the issue that this user (and more) have. After upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, systems can have a
    OneDrive folder that shows in File Explorer but whose actual path
    is "C:\Users\name\SkyDrive."

After the Win10 upgrade, File History shows as backing up both

C:\Users\name\OneDrive

and

C:\Users\name\SkyDrive

This is unnecessarily confusing and leads the user to think that the "SkyDrive" backup is not necessary as long as the "OneDrive" one shows in File History.

But if you check the actual system path to "OneDrive" using the command prompt, it has
    none of the files that are at the user's true OneDrive. Those are at the C:\Users\name\SkyDrive. It appears that this C:\Users\name\OneDrive folder holds some sort of placeholder of synch data.

As I said, it's unnecessarily confusing. Your reply to the user did nothing to answer the question or ease the concern.

Creme Brulee, Dec 16, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

OneDrive vs SkyDrive

I have the same problem with some files I have on one computer that I cannot see on another computer, I have right clicked on my one-drive folder in file explorer and selected settings and all the option but still cannot see some files.

sml156, Dec 16, 2017
  5. mikecox Win User
    I just "shared" a file from my phone to OneDrive. When I went to my laptop OneDrive tree the files I shared were not there. But when I went to my Tower, where OneDrive tree, which is labeled "Skydrive", the files I shared were there.

It is now clear that it's my laptop that isn't getting OneDrive files that are getting to my Tower.

The only way I can get files I share to OneDrive, when I'm on my laptop, is open OneDrive online.

I just can't understand why this is happening, and I've tried to, literally, for years!

mikecox, Dec 17, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    You got everything selected in OneDrive Settings > Account tab > "Choose folders" I suppose?

Perhaps you could try unlinking OneDrive on your tower, rename SkyDrive directory to OneDrive and then run OneDrive setup again just in case it really does require the new name. The method is described here Move the OneDrive Folder - Microsoft Community

You could also have a look at %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\logs\Personal\SyncDiagnostics.log and see if has the word "Error" anywhere but I've had more luck disconnecting and reconnecting when I had SkyDrive errors in the past.

7. mikecox Win User
    Thanks for your response.
    I've checked "Settings" in the cloud version of my OneDrive and right clicked the "OneDrive" folder on my laptop's Tree and I do not see an "Accounts" tab.

Thanks for that link, but I got a "can't be reached" error so I searched this forum and got several applicable finds.

mikecox, Dec 18, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

OneDrive vs SkyDrive

You need to right click on the OneDrive icon on the right hand side of the taskbar on your PC and select settings

Then you'll see a box pop up - select the "Accounts" tab and pick "Choose folders".

Unlinking and reconnecting is probably the solution though - just worth checking that you are syncing everything first.

Best of luck!

9. mikecox Win User
    Ok, thanks, making progress (-:

There is no OneDrive icon in my laptop's system tray, and I checked to see if it was hidden. I do have a OneDrive icon on my Tower, which is probably why the files on OneDrive appear in the OneDrive folder on my Tower.

So, it appears that the solution is getting the icon on my laptop. I don't recall consciously doing that on my Tower, so how did it get there?

mikecox, Dec 18, 2017
  10. mikecox Win User
    Ok, problem solved.

I got this https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/...07093b2e5a8772 link from OneDrive support.

What to display didn't work because the OneDrive Icon wasn't listed, so I typed OneDrive in the Search field, clicked the OneDrive find and the Settings menu appeared. I selected the files I wanted access to and clicked ok. At that point, the OneDrive Icon appeared in the System Tray.

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

mikecox, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

OneDrive vs SkyDrive

1. OneDrive vs SkyDrive - Similar Threads - OneDrive SkyDrive

2. Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password: Hello,Currently trying to find a way to send a link only to specific emails with onedrive that will also allow me to password protect the link like I'm able to do when sending files via "share link with anyone" as opposed to "people you choose". Is there any way to do this?...
  3. SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive: When will Microsoft fix this bug in App One Drive Mr. attendant, please put an objective solution, as I'm tired of faulty guidelines like reinstall the App, run an anti-malware and all other ready-made answers you have that don't work...
  4. SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive: When will Microsoft fix this bug in App One Drive Mr. attendant, please put an objective solution, as I'm tired of faulty guidelines like reinstall the App, run an anti-malware and all other ready-made answers you have that don't work...
  5. SkyDrive wants access to OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SkyDrive wants access to OneDrive?: Hi. Recently SkyDrive is asking for access to my OneDrive folder, any ideas why? [ATTACH]why would this be. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skydrive-wants-access-to-onedrive/16485c25-abe6-4d1c-8938-c9a05b9af01f
  6. SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive app

SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive app: I downloaded the desktop app OneDrive on my Windows 10 PC, and frequently on startup of the OneDrive app or while I'm using it, a pop-up shown to be from Microsoft reappears. I'm not usually very attentive to apps requesting certain permissions, but this stood out to me...
  7. Skydrive and OneDrive double folder

Skydrive and OneDrive double folder: Hi, i set up a new Machine and updated to the latest version. Windows 10 home This created a Skydrive folder which I pointed to O: Onedrive from the old harddisk i reused. Now i have a Skydrive folder syncronised with the cloud. And in the that Skydrive there is another...
  8. Onedrive adding duplicates with new "1" extension to photos in Skydrive folder

Onedrive adding duplicates with new "1" extension to photos in Skydrive folder: Recently i'm seeing a bunch of photos in m Skydrive folder (both on my PC via the OneDrive app/file folder, AND online in OneDrive directly) with a "1" added to the file name. These are still jpg's, but if I click on them they won't open. Says OneDrive can't open this type...
  9. Onedrive vs Skydrive with different folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive vs Skydrive with different folders: I can't figure out why my SkyDrive, as it used to be called, and my OneDrive have different names! When I started on my Desktop the Cloud drive was called SkyDrive. It's still labeled that way on my Desktop while on my Laptop it labeled OneDrive. I could live with that but...
  10. Microsoft rechristens 'SkyDrive' as 'OneDrive'

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rechristens 'SkyDrive' as 'OneDrive': Microsoft just announce the awaited replacement name for SkyDrive, its cloud storage service. As first spotted by Rod Trent at Windows ITPro, the new name is "OneDrive." Microsoft is confirming the new name in a January 27 blog post. OneDrive.com, a preview site, notes...