Windows 10: OneDrive-Windows 10 Impact on Local HDD ?

Discus and support OneDrive-Windows 10 Impact on Local HDD ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have used OneDrive extensively but have not studied the underlying rules & processes - thus an ignorant question and/or observation: Did something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Feb 3, 2015.

1. cognus Win User

OneDrive-Windows 10 Impact on Local HDD ?

I have used OneDrive extensively but have not studied the underlying rules & processes - thus an ignorant question and/or observation: Did something change dramatically re how built-in OneDrive in Windows 10 stores & syncs?

Maybe I'm not understanding what's going on so, in Windows 7, when I check the contents/usage of the local Drive, some folders under my OneDrive are showing actual data written to the local drive that is more/less equivalent to that stored on the OneDrive server farm. Others definitely do not show such - mainly images/media if I'm seeing it right.
    However I noticed with some alarm that when Build 9926 loaded up and I logged in to OneDrive with one of my MS accounts, the "sync" process went on interminably [quite consumptive, BTW... it was dragging my CPU to its knees] as it was loading onto my local HDD the entire pile of stuff stashed in my OneDrive web store. ??? Why? What's the value in that? So I nixed that idea until I could get a better understanding of setup.

What's the scoop? Is Windows 8.1 rules & process for OneDrive different than 7 and different than 10 or what?

:)

cognus, Feb 3, 2015
  2. Houndsong Win User

Following upgrade to Windows 10 on a fresh new SSD, what should I do with my old traditional drive where WIndows 8.1 was installed?

I had Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Then I disconnected that HDD.

I installed a new SSD, and installed Windows 10 Pro on it.

Love the instant boot times!

I want to use the old HDD for storage (to sync with OneDrive, too), but it is a bootable drive with a complete OS installed on it.

I have thought about reformatting it, then syncing to OneDrive.

Is there a better procedure to follow?

Houndsong, Feb 3, 2015
  3. John582n Win User
    How do I change the location that Documents points to?

That was true in Windows 8, but in Windows 10 OneDrive is installed whether you use a local or Microsoft account, so it is available in a Local account.

I mainly use a Local Windows 10 account that has never been linked to a Microsoft account, and I use OneDrive.

In all my Windows accounts (1 local and three Microsoft), OneDrive is being used but I save my docs locally and don't see the issue being discussed here.

John582n, Feb 3, 2015
  4. OneDrive-Windows 10 Impact on Local HDD ?

I have some pretty important data files on my PC. Some files would even qualify as "Classified, Top Secret" and I'll be dammmmed if I would ever trust them to some clandestine off-site 'Cloud'.

Who runs the cloud? Is that person or group of persons, certified and bonded to handle my data? Doubtful!

I remember when some untrustworthy employees at AOL, stole thousands of members personal information.

I keep all my data backed up to two USB 3.0, external drives, that get updates from my PC daily.
    My backup is done by a Batch File, that I wrote myself, to only back up New or Changed files, so my daily
    backup only takes a few seconds.
    Should one of my External drives, fail, there is still the second one.
    Then I do full C: drive backups to a second HD, at least weekly. Just one more hedge against a C: drive crash.
    My Backup/Restore program (Ghost 11.5) is on a bootable CD, for added safety.

Just Turn OFF things in Windows that you don't understand, want or trust. Eh?

Good Luck to you!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Feb 3, 2015
  5. Do you have anything to cover a complete disaster such as a fire or flood that would potentially damage all the above mentioned backups?

JDobbsy1987, Feb 3, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    When you first sign into the new build, OneDrive prompts you which folders you want to sync. The new version does sync all files physically, so don't sync any folders you don't want synced. The old way had these "virtual links" but apparently this technology is considered dead and will no longer be supported in future versions of OneDrive. So, while this is new to 9926, it will eventually filter down to all versions of OneDrive on all platforms.

I agree that it's not ideal. But, it basically works the same way most other folder sync apps work, such as dropbox.

Dude... you are in control of what you put in the OneDrive folder... it doesn't back up your whole hard drive. Only the stuff in your OneDrive folder that you have intentionally put there. If you don't want sensitive stuff in the cloud, don't put it there. You can still put non-sensitive stuff there for easy access from various sources.

Mystere, Feb 3, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    I's not only a matter of trust, there's a practicability issue too. Internet has to be helluva faster than I may hope for another 10 years, with number of files (in TBs) I would easily clog up many OneDrive spaces and still use few month to synchronize. As for the "trust" part, that may be a bit individual thing but only stuff you are in immediate control of may be considered safest of all options. The way I see use of OneDrive is to share (remotely) files with myself and only those ones I don't mind sharing with others.

CountMike, Feb 5, 2015
  8. OneDrive-Windows 10 Impact on Local HDD ?

If you read all of the disclaimers of "the cloud" and restriction descriptions someone else judges content,
    To judge content for restrictions it would insinuate someone culls through it looking for violations,
    Without notice data can be removed.

ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

OneDrive-Windows 10 Impact on Local HDD ?

1. OneDrive-Windows 10 Impact on Local HDD ? - Similar Threads - OneDrive Impact Local

2. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  3. OneDrive and local file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and local file: Hello, So all my files are usually backed up onto Onedrive or some other storage cloud. But my laptop is running low on space so I want to clear them from my laptop's local storage space to free up some space. Is it possible to delete files from my laptop without deleting...
  4. OneDrive and Local Files

OneDrive and Local Files: I cannot seem to stop this. It appears everything under THIS PC Documents, Photos, Music, etc. show both local files and OneDrive files. It gets confusing and sometimes I can't really tell but some save directly to OneDrive. How do I:Have ONLY files that are on the Local disk...
  5. OneDrive Folder on HDD

OneDrive Folder on HDD: Windows 10 returned only a black screen after the latest update. To fix this I decided to reinstall Window 10 altogether. Once done, I logged into OneDrive I use Office 365 for Family. When I tried to change the OneDrive destination to the OTHER HDD on my system where I...
  6. OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive

OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive: Hi, I searched the forum and other websites and could not find a solution. All the files I add to my sync folders are never synced uploaded to onedrive, but the taskbar icon says it is up to date. I try to end the application process, unlink/re-link onedrive,...
  7. Bluetooth audio impacted by Onedrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth audio impacted by Onedrive: I believe I have finally tested enough to understand that with Onedrive running (Win10 Home 1809) my Bluetooth audio soon drops and a reconfiguration is required (remove device, reboot the desktop, re-pair with the device) before I can get it back. Needless to say this is...
  8. OneDrive and Local Account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive and Local Account Windows 10: OneDrive now comes preloaded on a Windows 10. If I have a Local Account set-up (after switching back from the activation using Microsoft Account) ... and sign in to OneDrive to sync files... Will that turn my Local Account now into a Microsoft account? I have heard that...
  9. Did a recent WU impact upon OneDrive? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Did a recent WU impact upon OneDrive? Windows 10: I can't find any release notes for the WU on the 8th January - v1809 17763.253 What I need to establish is whether it impacted upon OneDrive - I've many problems with it at the moment but in particular where my files are stored has changed. Everything is now being stored in...
  10. OneDrive and local account

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive and local account: Can OneDrive be used with a local account? I Know I would have to login with a MS account but can this be done from a local account? 23393