Windows 10: OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?

Discus and support OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, So I just clean installed the Fall Creators Update without any problems. I wanted to try out the OneDrive's File On-Demand feature. I noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnnyGui, Oct 20, 2017.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?

Hello,

So I just clean installed the Fall Creators Update without any problems. I wanted to try out the OneDrive's File On-Demand feature. I noticed that I had to update OneDrive manually for that feature option to appear in OneDrive's Settings so I got the update from Microsoft's official tutorial.

After that, the option appeared and I checked the feature box that says "Save space and download files as you use them". I expected to then see all my online files in the explorer window under OneDrive but it's still empty. Restarting doesn't fix this either. I'm succesfully logged into OneDrive. I don't have the OneDrive App that you get from the Windows Store.

Why can't I see my online files in the OneDrive category of explorer despite me updating OneDrive and selecting the necessary checkbox?

:)

JohnnyGui, Oct 20, 2017
  2. S.D.K Win User

File History & OneDrive on Demand

I know that "files on demand" aren't saved on my computer. However, I still have the following problems:

• After starting a new File History backup from scratch (as suggested in the first response) the majority of my Onedrive , including almost all files that are marked as "Always Keep on this Device" are not backed up.
    • Even for files marked as "Files on Demand" - surely File History should be able to back them up anyway? The whole point of a good backup system is that you have copies of files in multiple places (and OneDrive's cloud system only counts as 1). The creation
      of the file history would be download heavy as it copies every file to my backup device, but after that it should only have to download single files as changes are made.

S.D.K, Oct 20, 2017
  3. S.D.K Win User
    File History & OneDrive on Demand

Answers as follows:

* No, no error messages.

* Why would a file history problem also occur in my OneDrive web or phone apps?

* I have not un-synced and re-synced Onedrive, but I have reset it as per the directions in that link (prior to posting this question as well). This didn't help.

This doesn't seem to be a sync issue as I am having no sync problems.

File History just doesn't seem to be able to see all the files in my OneDrive directory. The files that are not backed up include files that I know are stored on my computer (marked as "always keep on this computer"), as well as files that are stored only
    on the cloud for access on demand.

I have also tried to use the old Microsoft program "SyncToy" which I used to use as part of my backup process. It copies no files at all out of my OneDrive folder.

S.D.K, Oct 20, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, @JohnnyGui. It may take awhile for servers to catch up. Also, did you check to make sure all the settings in the other tabs are what you want?

Tony K, Oct 20, 2017
  5. JohnnyGui Win User
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes I checked the other settings, but I take it that only the option "Save space and download files as you use them" is needed to view the files in explorer? This is what I mean:

OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working? [​IMG]

How long does it take until it shows the files?

JohnnyGui, Oct 20, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    I think you have to right click on the files you want to go to the cloud and click free up space.

swarfega, Oct 20, 2017
  7. Ivan4you Win User
    The solution.Right click on the OneDrive icon in your taskbar.Then choose account and then choose maps.Check all the maps that you see and you will see your files appear.

Ivan4you, Oct 20, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

The OneDrive app may be different as Ivan4you has introduced as seen below. That's new to me.

Do you have OneDrive > Settings tab > Choose folders > set to what you want?

Learn about OneDrive Files On-Demand - OneDrive

OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working? [​IMG]

Maps may be a regional or European option? I don't have that here in the US as seen in the snip above.

FYI > OneDrive app is actually a MS-tailored open source app as seen in OneDrive Settings > About tab > "Third party notices" link.

Tony K, Oct 20, 2017
  9. JohnnyGui Win User
    Ah, I think that's the cause, I haven't chosen any folders yet. But one question before I do that, will it literally download ALL of those folder onto my PC or will there merely be placeholders (they won't get downloaded)?

JohnnyGui, Oct 20, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    This actually changes the settings in/for File Explorer. It will show any folder in it you choose. And yes, they are placeholders if you have "Files on demand" chosen. If not, then it will download the files to the folders you choose.

Although OneDrive is a program because it fetches files from and uploads to folders in the cloud (server), think of it as a advanced subfolder of the cloud. It would be like saving in two places. If you change a file on a device and save it, it upload the changes to the cloud. If your changing files, let's say Office files online and save it, the next time you turn on a device OneDrive will update the file on that device or any other device.

Heck, they have it now in Office where two people could be working on a file at the same time. Kind of like remote desktop in a sense, but only one file. Like a triangle of a server and two devices.

Did you watch the video I posted? Learn about OneDrive Files On-Demand - OneDrive

Tony K, Oct 21, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    None of the above posts really describe how FOD works.

First, the default setting is to sync files as always.

Second, you have to specifically choose to use FOD by clicking on right clicking on icon, and choosing setting menu, then select settings tab and select FOD.

Then choose which folders are visible to
    accordingly.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working? - Similar Threads - OneDrive's Files Demand

2. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  3. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  4. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails

OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails: When "Files on demand" is enabled, I can't see the file thumbnails in folders inside OneDrive, even if the file is actually downloaded. How can I fix this?...
  6. OneDrive Files On Demand doesn't work

OneDrive Files On Demand doesn't work: I have around 100 GB of pictures stored on Onedrive. This overfills my laptop so I have turned on the files on demand option to free up the space. I also clicked on the free up space option in the folder short menu. I even did this for all the sub folder. Onedrive starts...
  7. Onedrive Files on Demand not working as described

Onedrive Files on Demand not working as described: I am currently having a problem getting Files on Demand working as I would expect. I have done many searches and the problem I am experiencing has been described in many threads since Files on Demand was rolled out ~two years ago without an acceptable solution being provided....
  8. Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive

Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive: Hi I've just read a useful article on the "Files on Demand" feature of OneDrive: https://www.brucebnews.com/2017/11/the-confusing-story-of-onedrive-files-on-demand-2/ It instructs me to "Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and click on Settings" to get the...
  9. Onedrive Files on Demand Syncing erroneously

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Onedrive Files on Demand Syncing erroneously: Today, I noticed onedrive had redownloaded some files even though Files on Demand was set. I used "clear space" to remove local copies, but it immediately resynced files. Odd thing was it was only some folders or files (even only some of same file extension). Spent ages,...
  10. OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise: OneDrive Files On-Demand has been designed from the ground up for enterprises. Files On-Demand leverages the Windows Fall Creators update to simplify the user experience with cloud storage and sync, bring the power of the cloud into Windows File Explorer, and dramatically...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive files on demand problems

2. onedrive on demand not working