Windows 10: OneNote update message

Discus and support OneNote update message in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I use OneNote version 14.0.7177.5000 (32-bit), and I'm perfectly satisfied with it. Every so often a window appears, prompting me to update OneNote... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by gogreen, Jan 19, 2017.

1. gogreen Win User

OneNote update message

I use OneNote version 14.0.7177.5000 (32-bit), and I'm perfectly satisfied with it. Every so often a window appears, prompting me to update OneNote (see illustration). To which version does MS want to upgrade, and what will it cost? Would the upgrade look different from my current OneNote version? And if I don't like it, can I revert?

:)

gogreen, Jan 19, 2017
  2. DKNY2012 Win User

How do I save text messages from lumia 800

If there is a message that you really need to keep you can go to the "Messaging" application and open that message. Then when its open hold your finger on the message until a menu saying "Copy" comes up.

Choose "Copy" and then go into Microsoft Word or Microsoft Onenote and paste it in there then upload to Skydrive or use Microsoft Onenote to sync the message data that you copied from Onenote on your phone to Onenote on your computer if you have that installed.

DKNY2012, Jan 19, 2017
  3. Error Installing OneMote Mobile

Error Installing OneNote Mobile

When I try to install OneNote Mobile I get the message that I have to install a Windows Mobile Device Center update

I can not find it anywhere on this site. Does anybody know how do I update the Windows Mobile Device Center so I can install the OneNote mobile. I am using Windows Vista.

Tonya Garrison, Jan 19, 2017
  4. OneNote update message

Your OneNote looks like it came with Office 2010, mine is in the V15 range and I have Office 2013.

I went to to onenote.com and this looks like an offer for the "Windows 10 App" which I will take as not being Office 2016 OneNote.

Here is a link to a comparison between the "App" and the Office 2016 OneNote program which may help.

What's the difference between OneNote and OneNote 2016 - OneNote

On the cost question, it free according to popup. The app is also free for IOS so I can't see them charging on Win 10.

Caledon Ken, Jan 20, 2017
  5. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, Caledon Ken. How do I set Windows to stop asking if I want to upgrade?

gogreen, Jan 20, 2017
  6. To be honest I haven't found a way.

With a complete system image you may wish to look and see if your system has two OneNote's on it. The Office 2010 OneNote version and the App.If so there is a tutorial on removing pre-installed apps.

Of course my suggestion for having a complete system Image is I don't know what components are shared and when you remove the App will it impact your working copy.

I would also open OneNotes, head to options, Save and Backup and note where your primary and back up files are located I move my back up into a location I regularly back up.

Post back if you find solution, others will benefit.

Caledon Ken, Jan 20, 2017
  7. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, Caledon Ken. The Office 2010 OneNote is the one I use. But I see in the Start menu there's another OneNote, listed separately from Microsoft Office. There is no option to remove it with right-clicking. How do I safely remove this one?

If I use the Powershell method to remove it, will it mess up my current OneNote 2010 installation? My files are safely backed up.

gogreen, Jan 21, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

OneNote update message

The 2016 version of Office OneNote is soooo much more advanced and powerful when used together in conjunction with OneDrive, and it is FREE and the full version.
    You can get it here: Download OneNote
    But you need to scroll down to where my arrow is, to download it.

OneNote update message [​IMG]

Cliff S, Jan 21, 2017
  9. Again I don't know the impact of removing "app" when "program" is installed.

How comfortable are you with Macruim Reflect. If you are not, then if you have a practice machine around you could test Macrium, create and restore. Macrium allows you to Image your machine, which you should be doing anyway, just in case.

You could image your daily machine and feeling daring, attempt the uninstall. If it really goes s#&tty then you could restore.

You really want to be 110% comfortable with restoration. Then as fall backs you would have re-installing Office 2010, executing a system restore, (create a restore point) with Macrium being the final backstop.

Wish MS would just give us all a routine when you set machine up to delete all this stuff. I understand the need to show people new stuff and attract new clients but there should be a simple "Uninstall" to delete. Went through this with Apple and their IOS. Finally they relented and allow users to remove apps they don't want.

I must look at Cliff S post. I want to ensure I get Office 2016 OneNote and not a new app.

Caledon Ken, Jan 21, 2017
  10. gogreen Win User
    For the trouble it might cause, I'll just live with the occasional annoying upgrade prompt.

gogreen, Jan 22, 2017
  11. Helmut Win User
    That's the version I have, part of MS Office 2010.
    I just decline the upgrade offer. My assumption is that it refers to the Desktop version.
    The OneNote website indicates that this is the case.

The Apps version is separate, with updates from MS Store. Mine was last updated 15 Jan 2017. Whilst you can uninstall it via an Admin PowerShell command line, probably would come back in a Major update to Windows 10.
    You can Unpin it from the Task Bar or Start Screen. Still there in All Progs if you ever want it.

Helmut, Jan 22, 2017
  12. gogreen Win User
    gogreen, Jan 23, 2017
  13. gogreen Win User

OneNote update message

Unfortunately, the "new version available" window still appears. Any idea how to prevent its appearance?

gogreen, Jan 29, 2017
  14. I know these suppliers have product to sell but we the consumers should have the rights to no thank you and not be nagged. I don't know how to stop.

Caledon Ken, Jan 29, 2017
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Just update it*Wink

1.) it's much more useful

2.) it has better security

Cliff S, Jan 29, 2017
Thema:

OneNote update message

1. OneNote update message - Similar Threads - OneNote update message

2. Cannot update or reinstall OneNote

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot update or reinstall OneNote: I run Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I was trying to update OneNote when I got a "0x800706D9" error message, which I looked up online. As a result, I checked the Storage, Windows Update, and Windows Firewall services; the first two were set as "Automatic Delayed,"...
  3. OneNote smoothing disabled with update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneNote smoothing disabled with update?: I use OneNote for school with a Huion graphics tablet to handwrite on calculus tests. I just updated my windows to build 19041 and the handwriting smoothing automatically disabled and touch inputs are super jagged only on OneNote. The pen pressure still works, the drawing...
  4. OneNote

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    OneNote: I decided to try OneNote. I have the MS Office 365 subscription supposedly. On the top ribbon, I don't have any "Home" selection that is similar to other Office products and I don't have any "File" selection at all. This flies in the face of even the Microsoft training...
  5. OneNote

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneNote: NETOneNote ExcelWordExcel→OneNote https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E4%BB%98%E7%AE%8B%E3%82%84onenote%E3%81%AB/6846ae76-b69d-407b-8186-df52517c46e5
  6. OneNote Syncing Message

in Microsoft Office and 365
    OneNote Syncing Message: Hello, I keep getting this message when I open OneNote: "To sync this notebook sign into OneNote." I checked everything and I am signed in to OneNote, my MS account, and OneDrive. Everything seems to be syncing just fine. Does anyone know why I keep getting this message and...
  7. Onenote

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onenote: On the OneNote screen: I cannot see the far left side of the screen. For instance, the "+Add Notebook" option is not visible. Tried adjusting width by dragging the borders, tried "Full Screen" option, tried everything. What about re-installing? Any ideas?...
  8. OneNote

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneNote: All of a sudden, OneNote on my laptop will not sync. My phone is the only access I have to my data on OneDrive. Now I am always being asked to change my PW. I have passwords for Hotmail, Microsoft account, Passport, OneDrive and probably a half a dozen other MS products....
  9. Onenote and onenote 2016 uninstall

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Onenote and onenote 2016 uninstall: Hi I have both on my computers running W10 and office 365. Happy with the new OneNote but would like to uninstall OneNote 2016 as it confuses matters. Can I do so without losing any data (notes)? I understand that OneNote 2016 stores notes on the local hard drive but will...
  10. Bing Image Search + OneNote & OneNote Online Spell Check update

in Windows 10 News
    Bing Image Search + OneNote & OneNote Online Spell Check update: We on the OneNote team are always working to improve our experiences and provide more to our customers. From big release to small updates and enhancements we are always listening to your feedback. In today’s post we wanted to introduce you to a couple recent updates: Clip to...