Windows 10: Only 1Gb left on C after Win 10 installed- was 24Gb

Discus and support Only 1Gb left on C after Win 10 installed- was 24Gb in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I started with 38.5 Gb of 62Gb used for win 8.1 Pro. After my failed/incomplete Win 10 attempt I had 1Gb spare. At what point should the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dalchina, Jul 30, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Only 1Gb left on C after Win 10 installed- was 24Gb

Hi, I started with 38.5 Gb of 62Gb used for win 8.1 Pro. After my failed/incomplete Win 10 attempt I had 1Gb spare.
    At what point should the installation clean up? Thanks!

Background:
    So my Win 10 Win 8.1 Pro upgrade attempt failed with a black screen/mouse + a rolling white/black screen at erratic intervals, and thanks to this forum I see it's a common problem, and note the Aeroglass/Win P/ Nvidia driver version issue.

Ok, so I only got (with difficulty) to the password prompt (as observed here) - and safe mode didn't get to a desktop display.

Regards, David

:)

dalchina, Jul 30, 2015
  2. garym123 Win User

2017, Windows Phone 8.1, living under the rock. I need Windows 10 for my L630

Now the only phones able to use the insider or to install 10 are these phones
    Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 1GB, 636 1GB,

638 1GB, 430, 435, BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q, MCJ Madosma Q501

No way for any others to install 10

garym123, Jul 30, 2015
  3. ORVILLEM Win User
    Windows 10 shows only 16gb of RAM usuable of 24GB

I had windows 7 pro running with 24GB of RAM. Since I installed to Windows 10 it shows

installed RAM 24GB (16GB Available). Why is Windows 10 not using all the RAM.

I run After Effects CC and Premier Pro CC and that was the reason I upgraded to 24GB over 2years ago.

ORVILLEM, Jul 30, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

You need to run cleanmgr.exe. Search for it in the search bar and it'l be the first entry. Run it for drive c:. When the window appears, click on clean up system files button. It'l restart and give you options to remove. There should be an entry for cleaning previous versions of OS files and those are quite large so tick that and then run it.

You should also consider installing ccleaner which has a wider choice of what to clean up. Make sure you go through the entries and untick things you want to keep.

swarfega, Jul 30, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks swarfega - I'm aware of those two. Question is, is that what people are finding- that they have to clean up manually? 1Gb free on the system partition is small these days, so it's not a good state for a system to be left in. Many programs, left to themselves, write data to the system partition, which is where most people also have their user files and folders.

Guessing, is the system disk/partition filled up like this so you can revert (in the first month I think?)? If so, cleaning up after Windows 10 would remove that option. It follows, does Win 10 clean up after the month is up?

If so, I'd say this is a weakness which might lead to an unusable system.

dalchina, Jul 30, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    I always clean up after an install as a matter of course. I don't think this problem is particular to Windows 10.

Yes, and again I run ccleaner once a week which removes unnecessary files.

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Only 1Gb left on C after Win 10 installed- was 24Gb - Similar Threads - 1Gb left installed

2. Internet Only Bad When Gaming. 1GB with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Only Bad When Gaming. 1GB with Ethernet: I think I have an internet issue, even though they came and replaced my router. I have 1GB fiber plan, but everytime i try to play multiplayer games it lags. On Playstation 5 NBA2k, it lags when playing online 5 v 5 matches... On PC it lags when playing WARZONE bad. I get...
  3. disable Left Alt c shortcut in Win 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable Left Alt c shortcut in Win 11.: I often type Polish in Microsoft 363 Word and Outlook. I have Polish set as an additional language from MS language pack. There, Left Alt c should insert ć. Instead it opens calculator.It is ridicules, as I need to find and replace all ć in small and upper case to correct the...
  4. disable Left Alt c shortcut in Win 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable Left Alt c shortcut in Win 11.: I often type Polish in Microsoft 363 Word and Outlook. I have Polish set as an additional language from MS language pack. There, Left Alt c should insert ć. Instead it opens calculator.It is ridicules, as I need to find and replace all ć in small and upper case to correct the...
  5. Lost 1GB RAM after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost 1GB RAM after Windows 10 Update: Hello,Around june my computer installed an update after that i lost 1GB of RAM, I hoped a future update will fix it, but i didnt.I have tried a lot optimazions. They did speed up the system at all a little bit, but they didnt actually fixed the problem.The Update wasnt a...
  6. Lost 1GB RAM after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost 1GB RAM after Windows 10 Update: Hello,Around june my computer installed an update after that i lost 1GB of RAM, I hoped a future update will fix it, but i didnt.I have tried a lot optimazions. They did speed up the system at all a little bit, but they didnt actually fixed the problem.The Update wasnt a...
  7. Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.964 only sees 24GB of 32GB installed RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.964 only sees 24GB of 32GB installed RAM: Hi, I am using an Asus X299 TUF Mark 1 MOBO with the latest BIOS and memory modules from the QVL list. All four sticks are OK when installed individually. CPU-Z sees all four but OS reports only 3 slots are occupied. BIOS also recognizes all four modules. Any ideas? 178598
  8. Installed Realtek High Definition Audio but lost 1GB of C drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installed Realtek High Definition Audio but lost 1GB of C drive space: hi there: I like to know, when I installed Realtek High Definition Audio driver, the newer one, I lost 1GB of C drive space, not that it is a lot. How can I gain that 1GB of lost space? I remember when I installed the Intel audio driver, I can gain the lost space. Where to...
  9. 32GB in Gigabit X79-UD5 BIOS but only showing 24GB in Win 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    32GB in Gigabit X79-UD5 BIOS but only showing 24GB in Win 10 Pro.: So bought this screaming machine for school and get the thing cleaned up and all reinstalled nice like and try as I might, the BIOS reads all 32GB of G Skill Intl F3-19200C10-8GBZHD (x4) RAM, Windows 10 Pro only sees 24GB.... this is kinda of frustrating, so please read the...
  10. Question: Is Win 10 Optimized for Devices With 1GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Support
    Question: Is Win 10 Optimized for Devices With 1GB RAM?: I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro with 1gb pf RAM and it seems generally slower with Win 10 than Win 8.1. I've compared fresh installs of both OSes and Win 10 is noticeably slower to me. What have you guys / gals found? I'm considering putting this tablet back on 8.1 and not...