Windows 10: Only 3.5GB (of 4GB) RAM usable; running Win 10 x64

Discus and support Only 3.5GB (of 4GB) RAM usable; running Win 10 x64 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Curious, this computer is showing me that only 3.45GB out of 4GB installed memory is actually usable by the OS. It does have Windows 10 x64. Anyone got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by kbronski, Oct 6, 2015.

1. kbronski Win User

Only 3.5GB (of 4GB) RAM usable; running Win 10 x64

Curious, this computer is showing me that only 3.45GB out of 4GB installed memory is actually usable by the OS. It does have Windows 10 x64. Anyone got a fix for this?

Laptop CPU: AMD E1-6015 APU

:)

kbronski, Oct 6, 2015
  2. bacillus Win User

System memory support in Windows10, 32 bit

My win 10 32 bit system sees all of my 4GB installed ram but only 3.5GB of it is useable by the system.

bacillus, Oct 6, 2015
  3. I have 4gb ram installed but 2gb is only usable already done the ms config fix it doesn't work and returns to default and already checked if my motherboard is compatible

<Original title: 4gb ram 2gb usable how to fix>

I have 4gb ram installed but 2gb is only usable already done the ms config fix it doesn't work and returns to default and already checked if my motherboard is compatible witth my ram and it is please help already frustrated done the ms config fix many times
    already and i know that 32 bit OS only dislays 3-3.5gb usable memory but 2gb is too low.. will appreciate your help

GrantRosell, Oct 6, 2015
  4. Only 3.5GB (of 4GB) RAM usable; running Win 10 x64

Hi!
    It seems your graphics use the missing ram.

Cluster Head, Oct 6, 2015
  5. Beisdes any degree of memory reserved by hardwares which is typically small when you are seeing the deduction of 5.55mb don't forget that is how much 10 is taking off the top when simply sitting idle! Here I see 1.5gb approximately taken off of the top which includes a number of startup items which account for the increase here. That's 1.5gb roughly out of the 16gb total.

Night Hawk, Oct 6, 2015
  6. popeye Win User
    popeye, Oct 7, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    I suspect you are not actually using the 64 bit version of windows. You just have a 64 bit CPU and the 32 bit version.

When you have the 32 bit version of windows, it cannot remap the memory used by hardware devices outside of the of 4GB address range, and thus it must "steal" memory to be usable. In 64 bit windows, you should have the full 4GB available.

Mystere, Oct 7, 2015
  8. Berton Win User

No matter whether using 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows there will always be a portion of the physical RAM assigned by the BIOS to the onboard/built-in video adapter. Notebooks seem to be hit a bit harder than Desktops due to their limit of slots for memory modules, usually only 2 where Desktops may have 2 or 4, have seen 6 and 8 slots on high end motherboards. If having 4GB on a motherboard with the 32-bit version of Windows it may normally see about 3.5GB, maybe a bit less, it's a limit of 32-bit.

Berton, Oct 7, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Yes, but in 64 bit windows, this memory does not need to occupy the lower 4GB, and the OS can remap this to allow full use of the 4GB address space to applications.

Mystere, Oct 7, 2015
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

A MS 32 bit OS is limited to 4Gb of RAM so if AMD CPU are using a similar scheme to Intel incorporating a GPU in the CPU then my guess is that's what sharing this 500Mb of RAM with the system.
    If you go into your bios you can either reduce this or even increase it should you like to do so.

That said, if you're using a dedicated graphics card you can safely set the graphics memory usage in the bios to 0 Mb and you should then be able to use the full 4Gig for the OS.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 7, 2015
  11. popeye Win User
    From the link I posted:
    The OP has a laptop with no dedicated video card.

popeye, Oct 7, 2015
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Wish I had X-ray vision too. *Wink

Wouldn't be the first time I came across a machine with dedicated graphics card and on chip GPU with shared mem still set to max.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 7, 2015
  13. Geneo Win User

That is not the case. Unless the video card has no dedicated VRAM (and hence uses RAM), it does not occupy any physical RAM, but virtual address space in the lower 4GB of virtual address space - the address range is invariant for historical and compatibility reasons. This is virtual address space RAM cannot use. In 32 bit windows, there is nothing you can do about it and the RAM in that address range cannot be used. In 64 bit windows, the RAM in this range can be remapped to a higher virtual addresses enabling the full amount of RAM to be used.

Only 3.5GB (of 4GB) RAM usable; running Win 10 x64 [​IMG]

Geneo, Oct 7, 2015
  14. Geneo Win User
    It is probably the case that your on-board video does not have dedicated VRAM so uses system RAM. There may be an option in your BIOS to setup how much memory it will use.

Geneo, Oct 7, 2015
  15. CountMike New Member
    AMD's APU processors have GPU on die in the processor chip (some Intel processors too) so some of the RAM has to be dedicated for it. For any decent resolution 512 MB is absolute minimum. No VRAM can be used in such configurations.

CountMike, Oct 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Only 3.5GB (of 4GB) RAM usable; running Win 10 x64 - Similar Threads - 5GB 4GB RAM

2. 16GB of RAM but only 5GB is usable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    16GB of RAM but only 5GB is usable?: I have upgraded my ram in my windows 11 HP laptop from 8GB to 16GB. Recently I noticed that things are getting slower. When I checked in task manager, this is what it shows. It detects 16GB of RAM, but in the left hand side in the RAM tab you can see it shows 4.x GB/5.00GB....
  3. 16GB of RAM but only 5GB is usable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    16GB of RAM but only 5GB is usable?: I have upgraded my ram in my windows 11 HP laptop from 8GB to 16GB. Recently I noticed that things are getting slower. When I checked in task manager, this is what it shows. It detects 16GB of RAM, but in the left hand side in the RAM tab you can see it shows 4.x GB/5.00GB....
  4. 16GB RAM only 8GB usable on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    16GB RAM only 8GB usable on Windows 10 x64: have 16GB of RAM installed on my computer, but only 8GB is usable. I am running Windows 10 x64. I have tried the following steps to fix this issue, but they have not worked:I have updated the BIOS to the latest version.I have tried reseating the RAM modules.I have tried using...
  5. Only 3.45GB RAM usable out of installed 4GB RAM.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Only 3.45GB RAM usable out of installed 4GB RAM.: Hey, I just checked my System specs, it shows: 3.45GB ram usable out of 4GB. I surfed the net for fixes to the issue, but found only 2- the msconfig fix and BIOS fix. When i tried the msconfig fix, it still shows the same. And when i checked my UEFI BIOS, There was nothing...
  6. Installed 4GB RAM but only 1.7GB usable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed 4GB RAM but only 1.7GB usable: I am having issue with the RAM, I have installed 4GB Ram on windows 10, but It shows only 1.7GB is Usable and the leftover RAM is Hardware Reserved. I Tried to swap rams but didn't work. please help my PC is working very slow due to less usable RAM available, I also tried a...
  7. Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable?: Hi, Did a clean install of Windows 10 in 64 Bit and now on my properties it only says 4GB of Ram are usable instead of the full 8GB. (Pic Attached) I had never seen this before and I did have Win10 installed after upgrading from 8. Decided to do a clean install because...
  8. 4gb RAM but only 3.47 gb usable

4gb RAM but only 3.47 gb usable: Hi, I have an ASRock H61M-VG3 Mother board with a maximum RAM amount of 16gb. I have 64bit Windows 10 Pro. I have 4gb of RAM but only 3.47 gb Usable. Does anyone know how to help because I would like it fixed because I am upgrading to 16gb Ram, and it would be ridiculous to...
  9. Only 5GB of 6GB of RAM usable?

Only 5GB of 6GB of RAM usable?: Hello. I have a Lenovo G50-45 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit with a 64-bit AMD A8-6410 APU processor laptop.<br>I somewhy only have 5GB of ram usable when I have 6gb DDR3. I have unchecked maximum memory in msconfig, and have set the number of processors to 4, but still...
  10. 2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.: Hello! I've just installed my windows 10 and since it was running slow on a 2gb ram, I decided to buy a 4gb stick on my 32bit system. Long story short, it only shows 2.2gb usable. 768mb(or something close to that figure) is reserved for the videocard but I think I still...