Windows 10: Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons

Discus and support Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want my Start Menu to show only a list of programs/files/folders, like this: [img] but when I choose "Pin to Start" I get big, obnoxious icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by beau, Jun 8, 2016.

1. beau Win User

Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons

I want my Start Menu to show only a list of programs/files/folders, like this:

Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons [​IMG]

but when I choose "Pin to Start" I get big, obnoxious icons which cause the Start Menu to expand much too far over the desktop, like this:

How can I cause additions to the Start Menu to be only the list with the tiny thumbnail icon on the left, as in the first image above, never the big icons that make the Start Menu too big?

:)

beau, Jun 8, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

how can i get my settings icon on my desktop

• Right click the Settings (Gear) icon on your Start Menu (Alphabetical List), select 'Pin to Start'
    • Drag the new Start Menu icon from your Start Menu onto your Desktop
    • Right click the new Start Menu icon on your Start Menu and select 'Unpin from Start'

DaveM121, Jun 8, 2016
  3. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Jun 8, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

@beau:

You must be on an older Build, the later Builds are showing more the way you want:

Edwin, Jun 8, 2016
  5. beau Win User
    Well, I just installed Win10 a couple of weeks ago, and this is what came with it. How do I upgrade to a later build?
    This is the page I found for upgrading to a new build . . if you know a better Microsoft page let me know!*Wink

beau, Jun 8, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Start here: Join the Windows Insider Program and you'll be able to opt-in to receive preview builds and give us feedback on our latest work.

Note that this is not meant to be used on your primary PC though many people do. I have the latest 14352.1002 build on a Oracle VM and my Toshiba Laptop. Still using TH2 10586.318 on my primary PC.

The next major update is coming out around July 28/29 from what I've read. You may want to wait until then to do this.

You can look at and play with it in a Virtual Machine (VM) under Oracle or VMWare running on your primary computer.

Ztruker, Jun 9, 2016
  7. A free program called "Classic Shell" will let you have your start menu as you want it.

oldtraveler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons - Similar Threads - List Start Menu

2. start menu icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu icon: All the icon in start menu became a folder. How to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icon/793ccd6a-c30f-4600-ada0-281fe99d0092
  3. start menu icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu icon: All the icon in start menu became a folder. How to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icon/793ccd6a-c30f-4600-ada0-281fe99d0092
  4. Start Menu List - ZOOM

Start Menu List - ZOOM: Is the program ZOOM installed on a user-by-user basis? I installed ZOOM through my (everyday use) Standard account & placed the shortcut into the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder, as I do w/other shortcuts just in case I need them when I do use my...
  5. Start Menu List - Settings

Start Menu List - Settings: It's already listed on the Start Menu just below my User Icon (red arrow), so does anyone know how to remove the Settings icon from the Start Menu list (red circle)? [img] 173783
  6. Start Menu List

Start Menu List: It's already listed on the Start Menu just below my User Icon (red arrow), so does anyone know how to remove the Settings icon from the Start Menu list (red circle)? [img] 173782
  7. icons only in start menu and no labels

icons only in start menu and no labels: How do I restore the text labels to the icons in the start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-only-in-start-menu-and-no-labels/76a9a283-7215-4c51-bfb3-bf469fc88410
  8. No icons or Start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No icons or Start menu: Split from this thread. Powered on PC today and no icons or start up menu appear, I can't do anything and it is running incredibly slow, it is Windows 10. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience if this is not the proper way to ask this question. Thanks for any help....
  9. Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?

Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?: Obviously icons are displayed in the program list when the shortcut is not nested inside a folder. But it seems windows will not display customized folder icons. The properties for the folder can be opened, and a custom icon selected, but it does not display. Not in the start...
  10. Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons: Hello, Is there a way to pin a web page shortcut tile to "Start Menu" from Google Chrome maintaining original web page icon. Thank You 102601